• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

enomiss

Topping must :
  1. Find a technical solution to the L30 issue, or at least a workaround that doesn't degrade the amp performance.
    Like John said, they hope to get it done by february or so.

2. Offer a free L30 exchange to all L30 customers who request it, upon proof of purchase.
    Procedure should be easy and not handicapping for customers. For example :
    • Option 1 : Customer doesn't pay anything. He sends his L30. Topping receives it, checks it, and sends back a new L30.
    • Option 2 : Customer deposits a caution fee. Topping sends a new L30. The customer receives it and sends back the old L30. Topping receives it, checks it, and reimburses the caution fee.
      --> This would allow all customers who want it to receive a new L30 before sending back the old one, thus not being handicapped.
  3. Fix the sent-back L30s (upgrade them to the latest revision) and sell them again as refurbished.
There is no other way IMHO.

Who pays for sending it back?
Why is sending back needed after the research is done? Serial number of purchase is enough.
What happens to the (perhaps better) warranty that one had with the original purchase? For example I bought it from a Dutch webshop, I explicitly chose that over the cheaper AliExpress (or whatever method coming directly from China). I don't like sending things back to China for RMA.

Here is a better procedure, also better for the planet:
  1. Customer sends proof of purchase in digital form to Topping over e-mail with a specific subject as instructed by Topping.
  2. Topping let's customers choose:
    • A: Receive new unit from new batch directly from China with warranty as can be expected from a China purchase.
    • B: Refund of original purchase. ---> Customer gets his money back and can explore where to buy a new L30 from the new batch (some shops advertise with serial number).
  3. If there is a price increase for the new purchase, customer can send proof of purchase again and get a refund for the extra costs.
  4. If Topping has direct relations with certain shops, step 1 to 3 can be skipped and Topping can instruct these shops to help their customers. Topping could publish a list of Shops where this is possible.
  5. Make someone poor happy with your 'not trusted L30'. Make pic of super happy kid with 'not trusted L30' and send it to Topping for winning another L30.
  6. Realize we are rich whining pricks. Anyway I think step 1 to 4 would do.

raif71

Major Contributor
Btw L30 is available at Drop atm. Available in all 4 colors. https://drop.com/buy/topping-l30-headphone-amplifier
Should be matching with these men's cologne :)

1610409867616.png

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Worthless comment. We (most) buy L30 cos we buy E30. We (most) want the combo. E30 plus whatever looks horrible on desk.

Well, it's a good thing my comment wasn't directed towards you.

I was replying directly to a student who bought his L30 through Amazon. He was still within the return period and wondering what he should do.

Meanwhile, I've seen lots of photos of setups on reddit and head-fi that don't stack so neatly on top of each other. So without hard evidence, I am not convinced of your assessment that "most" people are concerned as much about matching as you are.

filipduarte

Why is sending back needed after the research is done? Serial number of purchase is enough.
What happens to the (perhaps better) warranty that one had with the original purchase? For example I bought it from a Dutch webshop, I explicitly chose that over the cheaper AliExpress (or whatever method coming directly from China). I don't like sending things back to China for RMA.

Here is a better procedure, also better for the planet:
  1. Customer sends proof of purchase in digital form to Topping over e-mail with a specific subject as instructed by Topping.
  2. Topping let's customers choose:
    • A: Receive new unit from new batch directly from China with warranty as can be expected from a China purchase.
    • B: Refund of original purchase. ---> Customer gets his money back and can explore where to buy a new L30 from the new batch (some shops advertise with serial number).
  3. If there is a price increase for the new purchase, customer can send proof of purchase again and get a refund for the extra costs.
  4. If Topping has direct relations with certain shops, step 1 to 3 can be skipped and Topping can instruct these shops to help their customers. Topping could publish a list of Shops where this is possible.
  5. Make someone poor happy with your 'not trusted L30'. Make pic of super happy kid with 'not trusted L30' and send it to Topping for winning another L30.
  6. Realize we are rich whining pricks. Anyway I think step 1 to 4 would do.

If Topping pays for shipping, for example via DHL, I will ship mine without problems.
Now shipping an object to China in my country is extremely expensive and may be dangerously close to the value of a new one.

Edit: I made a simulation and the price goes from $ 50.00 "to the infinity and beyond" :facepalm:

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That has yet to be determined by Topping. Wait for their procedure.

Because of this :
Fix the sent-back L30s (upgrade them to the latest revision) and sell them again as refurbished.
Why would Topping offer you a brand new L30 when they can offer you a brand new L30 AND sell a refurbished L30 to minimize losses ?
Of course it all depends on the production cost for a L30 vs. the cost of refurbishing a L30. That needs to be decided by Topping.

Here is a better procedure, also better for the planet
Better for you, no doubt. For Topping, I'm not so sure.
I just tried to imagine a procedure that would be good for both the customers and Topping. Maybe the production cost for a L30 is low enough to make your procedure better, and maybe it isn't. Just don't be so assertive. At least add "IMHO" to your sentences like I do. A little humility goes a long way.

Reactions: PSO

Screwdriver

i came across this review and i only learned about the topping L30 problem today - mine is 2007******
i bought mine thru amazon shenzhen audio store - sept 9 2020 .
its my only amp and i sue it with the e30 - this will be a rough few weeks for me - iw ont use it for now
wonder whats a good amp to get right now .

jeffbook

Serial number series 2011. Arrived last Tuesday from Amazon (HiFi College). Will try to wait to see what Topping says.. JDS Atom looks like a good replacement possibility.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
Apparently, they also have affected HPs, Raif. When I am freer, I will try to dig up the links I saw in ASR.
Thanks, yeah I just read the reports in the Schiit Magni 3+/Heresy Review after reading your post. This purchase is a used unit coming to a year from the previous owner. Hopefully if it didn't blow up before, will not do so now ;)

Reactions: PSO

Frio

Yeah well, that's it probably for me. Not really concerned and I still use it, but I will contact amazon and send it back as long as I'm able to. I want something long lasting or something with a good reputation that you can still sell used for a decent price not a complete loss. We don't even have long term expirience with the amp and the new batch was silently introduced but not delivered. Well I'll give a Monolith a chance should have bought it when I first saw it. Buy cheap,buy twice (or trice).

Yoyop

Oh god, I just read this thread and I'm shocked. I've an L30 bought in November 2020.
S/N starts with 2008, it works great but according to Topping member on ASR, I should stop use it to be sure it is safe.
I had problem with E30 (returned) and I didn't bought another one because now I'm not sure of the fiability of these products...

Zikeee

Bought the stack from amazon.de / shenzen audio on november 23, serial is 2010 been using it every day with no problems whatsoever.
But after reading some of the last posts ive decided to stash it until further notice. Its a nice stack but im thinking of returning it and buying something that wont kill my HP and damage my hearing. Fun part is that in EU you cant get these JDS, schiit without paying insanse taxes so thats nice. Any similair stack with maybe a bit more power that can be bought in EU ?

DeLub

Fun part is that in EU you cant get these JDS, schiit without paying insanse taxes so thats nice.

That's exactly why I also ordered, just before I read these reports about amps blowing up headphones, this stack. In dollars the Schiit Heresy may be cheaper than the L30, but in Europe they are the same price, so based on the initial measurements I prefer the Topping.

My order has not arrived yet, but I contacted the shop and they mentioned that they did not have a single report on misbehaving amps. Of course I believe the reports in this thread, and I sympathise with those concerned, but I believe it is too early to draw any conclusions as whether these are incidents or a structural problem. After all, it took quite some time before these incidents were reported for the first time. So I would not start sending back stuff and paying premium taxes before any definitive conclusions.

@JohnYang1997 promised to get back with his insights in a couple of days. Let's give him a chance to investigate the issue.

Frio

Geshelli is an option if you can wait 2 weeks, import is no problem since they use fedex. Monoprice.de is in Berlin. In the budget area there are some smls on Amazon available, but they are probably the same quality.

Top Bottom