• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
They won't. Do people remember how they deal with the DX3 Pro fiasco?
Can't remember, did you happen to have a link, please?

Rick63

I purchased the L30 about 5 weeks ago and returned it on Friday after reading about the potential issue with it. I didn't feel safe in using it nor did I have confidence in the long term reliability of it. I was also experiencing some static/crackling through my headphones at times that I narrowed down to the L30, and the headphone jack was the loosest I've ever seen on any product (perhaps that was the cause of the noise I was experiencing?). It doesn't matter how good a product measures if users don't have confidence in its reliability. At any rate, I'm thankful that I was still within the return window.

I must that so far say my experience with Topping products has not been satisfying at all and won't likely purchase any in the near future. I won't totally rule it out, but how they handle this issue will greatly affect my future decisions. I purchased an E30 DAC in November and it had an issue as well and I returned it 4 weeks after it arrived.

I'm not here to bash Topping, just to share my personal experiences. And to be fair, I also recently purchased a Schiit Magni Heresy and returned it the next day. I had read about some of their amps having noisy volume pots before ordering it and mine did. And I don't care if it is only noticeable when turning the pot while the music is paused, it was/is totally unacceptable to me. I do have 2 Modi 3 DACs and they've been trouble free and sound great.

Anyhow, I feel bad for those that have had their headphones ruined by the L30 and wish them the best of luck in getting reimbursed for their loss.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
In that link, they mention that the OPA has its labelling sanded off. Is that normal/expected for the L30? Could it be an indication of a counterfeit (either of the whole L30 or a counterfeit batch of OPA)?
It's just angle. No opa1612 was sanded off.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I purchased the L30 about 5 weeks ago and returned it on Friday after reading about the potential issue with it. I didn't feel safe in using it nor did I have confidence in the long term reliability of it. I was also experiencing some static/crackling through my headphones at times that I narrowed down to the L30, and the headphone jack was the loosest I've ever seen on any product (perhaps that was the cause of the noise I was experiencing?). It doesn't matter how good a product measures if users don't have confidence in its reliability. At any rate, I'm thankful that I was still within the return window.

I must that so far say my experience with Topping products has not been satisfying at all and won't likely purchase any in the near future. I won't totally rule it out, but how they handle this issue will greatly affect my future decisions. I purchased an E30 DAC in November and it had an issue as well and I returned it 4 weeks after it arrived.

I'm not here to bash Topping, just to share my personal experiences. And to be fair, I also recently purchased a Schiit Magni Heresy and returned it the next day. I had read about some of their amps having noisy volume pots before ordering it and mine did. And I don't care if it is only noticeable when turning the pot while the music is paused, it was/is totally unacceptable to me. I do have 2 Modi 3 DACs and they've been trouble free and sound great.

Anyhow, I feel bad for those that have had their headphones ruined by the L30 and wish them the best of luck in getting reimbursed for your loss.
Thanks for sharing and being as honest and neutral as you are.

wrigglycheese

I feel bad for recommending it to you now. Hope your return goes smoothly.

Was a solid recommendation with all the information you had, and I have been entirely happy with it, however unless there is a way to identify which line of units may have this issue I just can't see any point keeping it since I have such an easy option to return it right now - I will be sorry to see it go.

wrigglycheese

Just wait and see.

So just to clarify, with my serial number being 2008622XXX, would you advise I stop using it until further information/investigation?

I have not been on this forum in a while and only heard about this via Z on youtube. So I am a bit out of the loop....

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So just to clarify, with my serial number being 2008622XXX, would you advise I stop using it until further information/investigation?

I have not been on this forum in a while and only heard about this via Z on youtube. So I am a bit out of the loop....
yes

threni

Major Contributor

There's no such warning here:

https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/511207.html

Just the odd statement: A "small hot hatch" like HPA

(which doesn't make any sense, btw).

Wouldn't the responsible thing to do - given that retailers around the world are still selling this product - be to do a product recall for affected serial numbers, and warn any affected owners not to use the product as it could damage expensive headphones, hearing, cause a fire etc?

For the record, I'm an extremely happy E30 customer, but what more evidence are you waiting for before deciding to take this problem seriously? People shouldn't have to find this (not to use the product) out from YouTube sites and web forums; Topping, ShenzenAudio, Amazon etc should be reaching out to customers proactively. Apparently Amazon Italy have pulled it, but not the UK, US sites.

jawbfl

Will I temporarily solve if I put an anti ESD mat under the L30?

I've been following this thread for a while, IMO it's not just ESD, this could just be a bad batch or a fundamental flaw, I wouldn't plug an expensive pair if I was you.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because HiFicollege did not request the return of my fried L30, I have just now opened it for inspection. I examined everything with a magnifier and I can see no burnt components or solder joints on either side of the board. There is a modest burning smell that dissipated after the case had been opened a bit. Note that while I inspected closely, I am not at all an expert on this kind of circuitry. Vintage tube radios are my thing, where failures are potentially much more obvious (and dangerous). Let me know if I should look more closely at something. Serial series 2005.

Because I saw no faults, I reconnected the L30 to power and tested with some throwaway IEMs. On powering up at Zero volume, low gain, no input, there was a loud pop thru the IEMs and both L & R died. I smell no additional smoke from the L30. I have attached a photo of the board which I believe is as large as I can post here.
L301D.jpg

Last edited:

Giangi71

I've been following this thread for a while, IMO it's not just ESD, this could just be a bad batch or a fundamental flaw, I wouldn't plug an expensive pair if I was you.
Until we won't have an official answer by Topping I'll not use L30 (a pity)

Top Bottom