• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Viper Necklampy

Shouldn't the lower gain be more optimal for Sound quality or /noise? I'm very confused, even with other amps like atom and Thx. At least with l30 i'm trying a bit all the gains to see which sound better, for sure to me they sound all 3 different.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That question has already been answered in this thread by John Yang from Topping. The optimal setting is 0dB. The two other settings are theoretically sub-optimal, but you won't even feel the difference. I mean, you THINK that you feel it because every time you have to adjust the volume knob yourself to account for the gain difference, but in a real blind test with equal volume levels adjusted by someone else, you certainly wouldn't.

Veri

Master Contributor
I often use -9dB too, it all depends on what you're driving. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no experience with headphone amp, having low impedance (hd599) how should i set the amp gain? -9db or leave it at zero?

Start at 0 . I doubt you will, but if you find any lower than 10/11 o clock is too loud, drop to -9. Really -9 is for very easy to drive sensitive IEMs , so I doubt you will need it.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just for peace of mind, here are the measurements @ -9 dB :

index.php

index.php

Top of its class, even vs. the big guys. :cool:

ngs428

I am looking to pair this L30 with an E30 and drive the following (6XX, HE 4XX, Meze 99 Noir, Fidelio X2), none of which are too hard to drive. I mainly use the 6XX and the 99 Noir. I searched for 6XX in this thread, but only got a few results...

For those of you who use the 6XX with this combo, at what position do you typically have the volume dial at? This drives the 6XX fine without applying gain, correct?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD6XX will play just slightly less loud than HE4XX.
There is no problem using the gain switch if you want to go a bit louder.

fun

I have no experience with headphone amp, having low impedance (hd599) how should i set the amp gain? -9db or leave it at zero?
I have the HD598, which is more sensitive than the 599 (112db vs 106db 1kHz/1Vrms), based on the specs. With the 598, I use 0db gain, with volume setting between 10 to 2 o'clock, depending on music sources. So, I don't see why you would need -9db gain with the 599.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I am looking to pair this L30 with an E30 and drive the following (6XX, HE 4XX, Meze 99 Noir, Fidelio X2), none of which are too hard to drive. I mainly use the 6XX and the 99 Noir. I searched for 6XX in this thread, but only got a few results...

For those of you who use the 6XX with this combo, at what position do you typically have the volume dial at? This drives the 6XX fine without applying gain, correct?
12:00
Gain switch on the L30 is 0db
I'm not attempting to lose my hearing, I'd say this would be a moderately loud level. Low level detail is about as good as it gets.

ngs428

I'm not attempting to lose my hearing, I'd say this would be a moderately loud level. Low level detail is about as good as it gets.

Perfect. I have the KTB + Atom now and I would say I am usually higher than that (1:30 ish??, don't really pay to much attention). Just wanted to make sure there was some headroom on 0db. Not that high gain is the end of the world.

Thanks for the feedback!

3125b

Major Contributor
I can't really speak for the L30 since I don't have one, but with the 2.1Vrms input of the unattenuated E30, at the 12:00 volume position of the Atom the voltage is 0.36Vrms (with a 220 Ohm load, -0dB sine wave, unity gain), that would mean 103dBSPL with the HD 598.
Even with my Elear (about 100dBSPL at 0.36Vrms) that's too loud with real music playing.
In fact, with the 2.1Vrms input (aka DAC without volume control), I'd use the Elear at about 9:00 position for normal listening levels.
With a more sensitive headphone that would easily get you down even more into the audible channel imbalance region.

half_dog

Perfect. I have the KTB + Atom now and I would say I am usually higher than that (1:30 ish??, don't really pay to much attention). Just wanted to make sure there was some headroom on 0db. Not that high gain is the end of the world.

Thanks for the feedback!

Both amps has practically the same power output at low (no) gain for Atom and 0 dB for L30 if feed with ~2.1Vrms.

Tup3x

Really? To me L30 11.00 (~40%), E30 -12dB and L30 on unity gain is pretty much the limit. Anything higher and it wouldn't be comfortable and I'd start to worry about my hearing.

half_dog

Around 13 to 14 position and attenuate it digitally (~50 Windows volume to watch YT videos and high compressed songs and 100 for high dynamic songs and movies) for E30 at DAC mode. A few songs "ask" for more, but 99% will play okay with 0dB gain close to max volume. Something like 1812 Overture from Telarc plays much better at high gain.

Thalis

Just to report if anyone has the Senn HD280 Pro (new version). Been listening for about 2 weeks with my own CD ripped FLACs, Tidal Hifi and some splatter of Youtube.

The L30 has very good control of the bass and the 280Pro seems to have lost that mid bass bloom that I was always getting when driven by the Fiio E10k, a hybrid tube/mosfet amp and the Behringer Xenyx 320USB mixer. I am not using any EQ as I feel it didn't need any. The highs are not as bright as the K240 Mk2 without losing much detail. But overall I am getting a more open sound now that the bass bloom is gone. Some sub bass detail is more apparent now. Being a closed back it now has some form of soundstage. Hope I am not getting too subjective here :p. Heck i am rather enjoying it a bit more than the K240 Mk 2 now as its outside noise attenuation is excellent at the cost of making me sweat like a pig here in tropics.

Rig:
Rpi3B+/Hifiberry Digi+ > Toslink > E30 > RCA > L30
MoOde set to 0dB
E30 set to DAC mode
Using Bubble UPNP on my mobile and MoOde as the renderer
Foobar2000 > foo_out_upnp > MoOde renderer

The HD280Pro being rather easy to drive, the L30 is at 0dB gain and the pot is usually around 10 to 12 depending on the source.

highpurityusbcable

Just to report if anyone has the Senn HD280 Pro (new version). Been listening for about 2 weeks with my own CD ripped FLACs, Tidal Hifi and some splatter of Youtube.

The L30 has very good control of the bass and the 280Pro seems to have lost that mid bass bloom that I was always getting when driven by the Fiio E10k, a hybrid tube/mosfet amp and the Behringer Xenyx 320USB mixer. I am not using any EQ as I feel it didn't need any. The highs are not as bright as the K240 Mk2 without losing much detail. But overall I am getting a more open sound now that the bass bloom is gone. Some sub bass detail is more apparent now. Being a closed back it now has some form of soundstage. Hope I am not getting too subjective here :p. Heck i am rather enjoying it a bit more than the K240 Mk 2 now as its outside noise attenuation is excellent at the cost of making me sweat like a pig here in tropics.

Rig:
Rpi3B+/Hifiberry Digi+ > Toslink > E30 > RCA > L30
MoOde set to 0dB
E30 set to DAC mode
Using Bubble UPNP on my mobile and MoOde as the renderer
Foobar2000 > foo_out_upnp > MoOde renderer

The HD280Pro being rather easy to drive, the L30 is at 0dB gain and the pot is usually around 10 to 12 depending on the source.
I took out Superlux 668b from my storage closet thanks to this stack (D10s+L30). They were lying there for almost a year. Applied parametric eq preset and they became enjoyable even. Very happy with this flawless performance so far.

Thalis

I took out Superlux 668b from my storage closet thanks to this stack (D10s+L30). They were lying there for almost a year. Applied parametric eq preset and they became enjoyable even. Very happy with this flawless performance so far.

A bit bassy and bright weren't they? I had that same 668b too till my kid "destroyed" it by always leaving it bumping about in her bag :(

highpurityusbcable

A bit bassy and bright weren't they? I had that same 668b too till my kid "destroyed" it by always leaving it bumping about in her bag :(
They are very bright and almost piercing but good with eq. Bass is on a muddy side but nothing too horrible. I think they sound natural enough. Very uncomfortable with stock pads. I still think they are not bad at all, very detailed. I took them out just to try on new gear but listening to them for the last couple of days. I want decent budget comfortable closed headphones to use all day long because tired from IEMs recently, thinking about Takstar Pro82 v2.
But anyway, this is off-topic. I'll just say again that these new affordable stacks are stunning with their simplicity and performance.

Top Bottom