• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, right, it's 0.00dB
Well that makes me want to try the K702 on the L30 :). Even for my more sensitive Senn HD280 Pro the vol level is around noon to 1 to get a decent comfy level.
There is one more thing to ask about foobar2000 : is ReplayGain activated ? (File menu > Preferences > Playback > ReplayGain > Source mode). If source mode is set to "none", then foobar's output volume is really 0dB. If source mode is set to anything else than "none", then foobar's output is lowered by a number of dB equivalent to ReplayGain tags for the currently playing file (generally -7 to -10 dB for modern stuff, except for classical music where it's closer to 0 dB).

Recopilatorio

There is one more thing to ask about foobar2000 : is ReplayGain activated ? (File menu > Preferences > Playback > ReplayGain > Source mode). If source mode is set to "none", then foobar's output volume is really 0dB. If source mode is anything else than "none", then foobar's output is lowered by a number of dB equivalent to ReplayGain data for the given playing file (generally -8 to -10 dB, except for classical music where it's closer to 0 dB).

"Source mode = none". So I have it configured.

Jose Hidalgo

Actually that means that you have ReplayGain deactivated, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you want. But that verification was necessary, because now at least everybody's sure that your foobar's output level is indeed 0 dB. :)

Recopilatorio

Actually that means that you have ReplayGain deactivated, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what you want. But that verification was necessary, because now at least everybody's sure that your foobar's output level is indeed 0 dB. :)

If I'm honest, my level of understanding of the operation and configuration of Foobar2000 is close to zero. Surely I have copied a configuration proposal that I saw in a forum. And it works for me. Maybe I can learn more and improve it, but for now it's okay.

__Health and encouragement__

Thalis

yep... mine too :)

Mr:River

1600560389124.png

You Tube

(*****) Where's the fusing on that transformer???

(Soundnews) Doesn't have one, I couldn't open the amp to check if there is one inside, the glass cover on the front would not come-out..

(*****)
It needs one (or two) on the high voltage side or it's really unsafe! That would never pass certification in North America and puts your home at risk of burning down if anything goes wrong! It doesn't have any surge protection either. You are probably going to be the only reviewer that revealed this design flaw without even knowing it. Ha ha! I appreciate it though and I would never trust this power supply in my home.

MechEngVic

You Tube

(*****) Where's the fusing on that transformer???

(Soundnews) Doesn't have one, I couldn't open the amp to check if there is one inside, the glass cover on the front would not come-out..

(*****)
It needs one (or two) on the high voltage side or it's really unsafe! That would never pass certification in North America and puts your home at risk of burning down if anything goes wrong! It doesn't have any surge protection either. You are probably going to be the only reviewer that revealed this design flaw without even knowing it. Ha ha! I appreciate it though and I would never trust this power supply in my home.

If you looked at earlier posts in this thread, you'd see that this issue has been discussed quite a bit already.

Jose Hidalgo

If you looked at earlier posts in this thread, you'd see that this issue has been discussed quite a bit already.
Is it possible to get a short reader's digest on that supposed issue, so we don't have to read the 58 previous pages? Thank you. :)

Mr:River

I've read all the posts, I don't remember anyone talking specifically about protecting the L30 psu, I saw something about not using the P50 on the L30 due to AC x DC. If I'm wrong, correct me. Thank you

MechEngVic

Is it possible to get a short reader's digest on that supposed issue, so we don't have to read the 58 previous pages? Thank you. :)
I've read all the posts, I don't remember anyone talking specifically about protecting the L30 psu, I saw something about not using the P50 on the L30 due to AC x DC. If I'm wrong, correct me. Thank you

Yes,
Transformer good.
Transformer not bad.
Transformer make L30 go zoom, zoom! :p

If I remember correctly, it was mentioned that this type of transformer doesn't need to be fused to be good for use in North America, something to do with the size and power output, maybe? I'd have to dig through myself to give you anything more, but I can tell you that John Yang has steadfastly defended his choice of power supply in terms of performance and safety. He maintains that this power supply is part of why the L30 measures so well and I think he said it won't burn your house down, I think...;)

Here's a pic:
2020-09-19 17.54.37.jpg

MechEngVic

Or maybe someone mentioned that this transformer is internally fused... Sorry I don't remember better, but I remember that what was discussed settled my worries.

ASR REEZY

You mean this one ....?

I find his claims that the L30 somehow can't power all these headphones properly a little dubious. The L30 gives the HD6XX plenty of bass. I'm not sure what he was talking about the whole review, but I'm pretty sure the differences between this and the Atom are negligible lol, plus idk someone needs to tell me if the Atom is good with sensitive headphones too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find his claims that the L30 somehow can't power all these headphones properly a little dubious. The L30 gives the HD6XX plenty of bass. I'm not sure what he was talking about the whole review, but I'm pretty sure the differences between this and the Atom are negligible lol, plus idk someone needs to tell me if the Atom is good with sensitive headphones too.

The atom is noisy with my 110db/mw or more IEM- havent tried them with the l30 on low gain yet. But I would guess for all but them and the other extreme where the top power is required, no practical difference . There is no magic here.

ASR REEZY

The atom is noisy with my 110db/mw or more IEM- havent tried them with the l30 on low gain yet. But I would guess for all but them and the other extreme where the top power is required, no practical difference . There is no magic here.

Right, so considering all those factors, the L30 is the better buy to be used with more headphones/IEMs. The Atom will be fine for most people, though, that's for sure

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, so considering all those factors, the L30 is the better buy to be used with more headphones/IEMs. The Atom will be fine for most people, though, that's for sure
If others say it's quiet with v sensitive IEM, I would go with that. I doubt I'd ever need high gain on either

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Atom with NAD HP50 headphones sometimes, and they're very sensitive headphones, using Low Gain I never go past the 9 o'clock position, and that with only 85% Windows Volume combined with a -2.6dB software preamp in Equaliser APO which overall equates to -5dB out of a 2V DAC, so only just over 1V arriving at the JDS Labs Atom headphone amp. So JDS Labs Atom probably could have benefitted from -dB Low Gain Mode rather than just a unity gain and a high gain mode - but given my setup with the negative preamp and my choice to run 85% Windows Volume (because the DAC measures better below 2V) then it works out just fine on the JDS Labs Atom, but would be nice to have a bit more leeway with the volume knob for sensitive headphones.

NAD Viso HP50: Rated power 30mW, Efficiency: 100dB/1mW (115dB/1V), 32 ohm.

Top Bottom