• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

kingdoc2020

Isnt the G6 a Dac/amp combo in itself? The e30 would need a separate HP amp- I have just taken delivery of the topping L30 (matches e30) and its great.
you are right G6 is the combo DAC/Amp. I'm a casual classical listener, streaming movies. I wonder if the topping E30/L30 really worth the extra cost

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Isnt the G6 a Dac/amp combo in itself? The e30 would need a separate HP amp- I have just taken delivery of the topping L30 (matches e30) and its great.
Also there's the potentially "buggy" nature of the G6. I've no personal experience but it's been mentioned on this forum.

@Jimbob54's suggestion of the L30 would provide a good solution. Other options rather depend on where you are in the world. Topping provides a particualrly good solution for Europe, US has other readily available budget options (JDS Atom and Schiit Heresy).

Last edited:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
you are right G6 is the combo DAC/Amp. I'm a casual classical listener, streaming movies. I wonder if the topping E30/L30 really worth the extra cost
The E30/L30 combo will work well, but a cheaper option is the Topping DX3 Pro (if you want an all in 1 unit). It costs more than the G6, but looks like a better bet.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it helps at all, I've got the G6 and use it with a JDS Labs Atom headphone amp, and I noticed a difference in sound quality between that and using the headphone amplifier built into the G6. I wanted to get the best possible audio experience from my headphones though, so whether or not you go with the L30 depends on how much you prioritise sound quality. Also I would recommend you just use your G6 with the L30 rather than buying another DAC unless you want the features of the E30 like remote control & some of the other features. Re using your G6 with the L30, make sure you run Windows Volume no higher than 85% as that equates to -2.4dBFS, and the G6 shows distortion above -2.0 dBFS according to Amir's review of the G6. The G6 has excellent measurements if you run it below -2.0 dBFS: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-sound-blasterx-g6.7016/

(You would of course attach the Line Out port of the G6 to the L30, you wouldn't attach it through the headphone port on the G6, but you know that!)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The Amiron is (I think) a 600 ohm Tesla driver like the Beyer T1. It would definitely benefit from a bit more grunt that what you get from your phone or maybe PC HP output. Whether you need a new DAC depends on what you would be plugging any new DAC into.

Assuming you are currently on a PC/MAC and would be taking USB out to an external DAC- maybe you would be better just getting an L30 amp and using the inbuilt DAC of your PC first (running it out of the line out jack of your PC) . If that isnt to your taste, get a new DAC too (eg E30)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it helps at all, I've got the G6 and use it with a JDS Labs Atom headphone amp, and I noticed a difference in sound quality between that and using the headphone amplifier built into the G6. I wanted to get the best possible audio experience from my headphones though, so whether or not you go with the L30 depends on how much you prioritise sound quality. Also I would recommend you just use your G6 with the L30 rather than buying another DAC unless you want the features of the E30 like remote control & some of the other features. Re using your G6 with the L30, make sure you run Windows Volume no higher than 85% as that equates to -2.4dBFS, and the G6 shows distortion above -2.0 dBFS according to Amir's review of the G6. The G6 has excellent measurements if you run it below -2.0 dBFS: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-sound-blasterx-g6.7016/

I dont believe they have the G6- I think that was a device under consideration. For me e30/l30 stack beats G6 alone for reasons stated by you and others. The g6/l30 purchased together makes no real sense unless gaming is a priority.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dont believe they have the G6- I think that was a device under consideration. For me e30/l30 stack beats G6 alone for reasons stated by you and others. The g6/l30 purchased together makes no real sense unless gaming is a priority.
Ah yes, I misread his post. Only get the G6 if you want to use it for gaming in terms of using the 7.1 virtual surround sound processing feature for game immersion & enemy location.....otherwise if gaming is not his thing he should for sure get the E30 instead, because G6 is buggy too.

kingdoc2020

(You would of course attach the Line Out port of the G6 to the L30, you wouldn't attach it through the headphone port on the G6, but you know that!)
Do you think the G6 or E30 would better to fit the movie experience?

audiojoe

@JohnYang1997 wanted to say thank you to you and everyone at Topping! Finally have my d10s and l30. I upgraded from an odac/o2 combo from Head n Hifi I purchased back in 2014. I was actually quite surprised how big the difference was. Overall I'm very happy! :D
Like some people here, I am a little worried about temperatures with my 8 ohm in ears on my days off, where I have this running for the full day plus night (I listen to podcasts for sleeping). The l30 does get very hot after 1 or 2 hours. I will measure this soon and see if it is above 50c, but I don't think it will be. I will also test long sessions with my 37 ohm Hifiman Sundara. I'm wondering if the heat affects the d10s performance if I stack them though, as it usually runs extremely cool.

3125b

Major Contributor
The Amiron has 250 Ohm Tesla drivers, it's fairly easy to drive with its high impedance and high sensitivity. The G6 should work fine, every decent headphone amp surely will, and even on a phone it works ok.
Buy whatever you can get at a good price.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think the G6 or E30 would better to fit the movie experience?
Good question, the only reason for it potentially fitting the movie experience better would be the Dolby Digital and 7.1 virtual surround processing of the G6. I've never used my G6 with movies so I don't know how it functions for the that, but looking at the Creative website it seems that Dolby Digital decoding only happens if you connect your source via optical link to the G6: https://uk.creative.com/p/amplifiers/sound-blasterx-g6. Regarding using the 7.1 virtual surround processing with movies (not Dolby, so using the USB connection to a PC as the input), then I don't know if that's compatible with movies, in terms of the movie sending the right data for each virtual speaker. I know for sure that the PC sees the G6 as a 7.1 device when the G6 is setup in 7.1 surround mode, but given that it wouldn't be Dolby Decoding over USB connection then I don't know how the movie 5.1 or 7.1 movie soundtrack marries up with that. Hopefully some experienced movie audiophiles can chime in to advise us on this point.

EDIT: if you don't get any responses here, you could also ask the movie decoding/playback question in the G6 thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-sound-blasterx-g6.7016/

Last edited:

Quomz

Suppose I found a dac or dac/amp that has SE output say 5V (rms), will the L30 be able to handle it. Thanks
I think the „Input Sensitivity“, in amplifier specs does specify the maximum input voltage It can handle. If so, the L30 is specified to handle 3V in in high gain, 9V in medium gain and 25V in low gain.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Suppose I found a dac or dac/amp that has SE output say 5V (rms), will the L30 be able to handle it. Thanks

Yes.

I think the „Input Sensitivity“, in amplifier specs does specify the maximum input voltage It can handle. If so, the L30 is specified to handle 3V in in high gain, 9V in medium gain and 25V in low gain.

It specifies at which input voltage the amp clips with the volume control turned all the way up. It changes when the volume control is used and it says nothing about the maximum input voltage the amp can safely handle.

Quomz

It specifies at which input voltage the amp clips with the volume control turned all the way up. It changes when the volume control is used and it says nothing about the maximum input voltage the amp can safely handle.
So more of a theoretically possible maximum and other factors might limit what voltage an amplifier can handle?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It would depend on the input circuit. For instance the Atom and O2 actually can be overloaded.
AFAIK the volume control in this amp is before the amplifier circuit so when you turn the volume down you can feed it with 20V for instance and get good sound but a very limited volume control adjustment range.
On the O2 and Atom you will get severe clipping at every volume, not so with the L30

Quomz

Thank you for explaining that, I seem to have misunderstood the meaning then.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The sensitivity indicates that. Yeah for low gain you can put 25V in there. For mid gain 8V is still very safe.
Also it really doesn't matter as there will be no internal clipping.(unlike many other amplifiers, including A90) You can basically use whatever input voltage and still listen to music.

Countach

Just a quick question guys:

Right now I'm using E30 in preamp mode with a netbook and a power amp. I'm planning to buy L30. If I plug it between E30 and my power amp, will I still be able to use the volume control of E30 when using my power amp? And also does the L30 volume knob work only for headphones or for preamp mode as well?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Just a quick question guys:

Right now I'm using E30 in preamp mode with a netbook and a power amp. I'm planning to buy L30. If I plug it between E30 and my power amp, will I still be able to use the volume control of E30 when using my power amp? And also does the L30 volume knob work only for headphones or for preamp mode as well?
Hi yes you can still use the e30 volume control. And yes the l30 has volume control and three gains as a preamp too. I plan to use mine in low gain with volume near max and use my Sanskrit dac volume near max.

Top Bottom