• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

frankh

OK, measured RCA plugs.

RCA outer shell standard dimension is 8.25mm

Topping D30 measures 8.175mm
View attachment 81647
Topping L30 measures 8.1mm
View attachment 81648
Definitely next-to-insignificant, but to some of us, noticeable.
Thank you for clarifying this issue. I actually thought I was the only unlucky one who received an L30 with a lose left channel RCA port. At first I thought it was my RCA connector's fault but I had no such issue with my Topping DX3 Pro and JDS Labs Atom.

MadMan

I suppose if they were using a 1V DAC and then had EQ negative preamp on top of that then there's an argument for High Gain on Atom amp, but otherwise no. And to be honest, if they're in the audio game then they're not gonna be using a 1V DAC, and they shouldn't be making comments on amounts of Gain required on the basis of whatever EQ negative preamp they've used unless they make that absolutely clear because I would imagine only a smaller proportion of people EQ their headphones.

Well, -12dB EQ preamp would make Atom's high gain be equal to its low gain with 0dB input. But yes, not even mentioning this is pretty poor for a real neutral and scientific reviewer, that's why I said they're amateurs with experience.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, -12dB EQ preamp would make Atom's high gain be equal to its low gain with 0dB input. But yes, not even mentioning this is pretty poor for a real neutral and scientific reviewer, that's why I said they're amateurs with experience.

Hang on a second- you two seem to have gone from surmising they might be using EQ/ applying a pre-amp reduction (because they listen too loud if they aren't using EQ and a reduction) to "not even mentioning this is pretty poor for a real neutral and scientific reviewer, that's why I said they're amateurs with experience."

Did I miss a post where someone confirmed in this instance they were using EQ etc?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That shouldn't really cause any problem. Because since last December, I had done over 100 PCBs myself and soldered using this exact part. Never had any issue with connectivity. Not as tight as some other ones, yes. But some one said it was cutting out. I'd say that's issue of cable. This can certainly happen that the cable has been plugged onto some oversized and stretched out. But still I had been using old, new, all different cables with no issues.
@JohnYang1997 What is your go to model soldering iron station & equipment?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 What is your go to model soldering iron station & equipment?

1599424283105.png

MadMan

Hang on a second- you two seem to have gone from surmising they might be using EQ/ applying a pre-amp reduction (because they listen too loud if they aren't using EQ and a reduction) to "not even mentioning this is pretty poor for a real neutral and scientific reviewer, that's why I said they're amateurs with experience."

Did I miss a post where someone confirmed in this instance they were using EQ etc?

No, not specifically.

The popular influencer/reviewers almost all mention using EQ to correct headphones, so it's a real possibility that use of EQ may (depending on settings) affect their claimed need for ridiculous, headphone- and hearing-damaging amounts of power. That's on top of things like changing for example playback software volume. This is something that should be quite obvious to anyone who has basic understanding of gain staging in audio systems, and it's why I call them amateurs with experience (as opposed to knowledge). It's not clear they even have standardized test settings, let alone publish them. Many of them do post EQ for different headphones, since I don't use EQ I never dug into it, but baseline preamp levels may be part of their EQ settings.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, not specifically.

The popular influencer/reviewers almost all mention using EQ to correct headphones, so it's a real possibility that use of EQ may (depending on settings) affect their claimed need for ridiculous, headphone- and hearing-damaging amounts of power. That's on top of things like changing for example playback software volume. This is something that should be quite obvious to anyone who has basic understanding of gain staging in audio systems, and it's why I call them amateurs with experience (as opposed to knowledge). It's not clear they even have standardized test settings, let alone publish them. Many of them do post EQ for different headphones, since I don't use EQ I never dug into it, but baseline preamp levels may be part of their EQ settings.

Aye, but I read from the start of the mini thread of DMS review of L30 (yes, its full of nonsense)- and subsequent mention of an Atom review . I am not saying they know what they are talking about or dont EQ etc. I just didnt like the way it morphed into something that could be read as fact that in the Atom review he had EQ and pre amp in play yet was saying it needed more juice.

raif71

Major Contributor
No, not specifically.

Since I have touched upon inadequate volume of the L30 at 0db, let me 1st clarify that I'm not using any EQ. Anyway, the issue was on some sources thats all ie classical music sources. Other modern genre pop/rock so far I'm happy to say that at 0db, I'm playing them circa 12 o'clock. My setup is mainly Hiby R5-->e30-->l30. The only way for me to even use EQ is at Hiby but then using usb audio would disable any EQ, right? How do people use EQ in their setup if they are using external dac and amp? I'm a novice at this EQ thingy. :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I have touched upon inadequate volume of the L30 at 0db, let me 1st clarify that I'm not using any EQ. Anyway, the issue was on some sources thats all ie classical music sources. Other modern genre pop/rock so far I'm happy to say that at 0db, I'm playing them circa 12 o'clock. My setup is mainly Hiby R5-->e30-->l30. The only way for me to even use EQ is at Hiby but then using usb audio would disable any EQ, right? How do people use EQ in their setup if they are using external dac and amp? I'm a novice at this EQ thingy. :)

No, not necessarily at all. Best place to do eq is before the dac. Depends on settings but the eq you do on the hiby might well be going to the e30. Easy test, max out the bass eq, play. Reduce all bass eq, play again.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My ASUS PC has EQ adjust on the SPDIF output.
Capture_09062020_172009.png

JeffGB

RE: DMS, and other subjective influencer/reviewer types...potential hidden biases aside, I'm pretty sure most of them are in the process of damaging their hearing, or already have, possibly quite severely. They listen way too loud way too often, I'm certain of it. Part of their 'job', unfortunately, is to get views, clicks on affiliate links, and hype going; if they say something controversial, it makes them money too. If they say something non-sensical like 'you need high gain for this headphone' (said in a recent review of the HD600/650 wrt the Atom amp) or 'you need ten watts for headroom to make a lower-sensitivity headphone 'come alive' (for a few notorious headphones), it stirs up the click/view money hypetrain.

Unfortunately, the web influencer/reviewer culture quickly devolved into the same thing the internet helped us avoid at first, the old media publication advertiser money motivation.

Well, thank god for that. I was worried reading through the thread and things were getting crazy. Changing a DAC to 3V output for the sake of the amp seemed silly and would cause its own set of problems, as did all the craziness about changing gains on the L30 or other amps. All anyone wanted in the first place was clear 'real world' specs. Given that you recommend E30 (2V output) with the L30, it only makes sense to for the manufacturer to provide those specs. As you can see below, it can and does cause confusion, like it or not. While consumers should be reasonably knowledgeable, it's easy to overlook details too.

lol. Is there some law that says you have grab the knob at 9 and 3 0'clock ? Just use 11 and 7 0r 12 and 6 :p For real though, I reached toward mine without thinking about it, and 9 and 3 felt really awkward because I had to twist my forearm and wrist, 11 and 7 was 'natural' because I just reach out with my hand at about a 45 degree angle. *I see you got a different knob anyway :p

I am using it as a preamp, no noise problem. What is the noise exactly ? Hiss ? Ground loop ? Iirc the Crown amps (maybe not your model) have input gain settings for 'pro' or 'consumer'...did you set that correctly ? It does sound as if the Crown is just noisier with single-ended input at least.
The noise is high pitched squealing and intermittent bursts of noise. It's ground loop noise as far as I know. I have tried different cables, and different configurations of where the AC is plugged in. I changed from USB connection to my computer to optical which lowered it a bit, but it is still there (it's driving my wife crazy). I have used different preamps and the noise is either not there or much reduced. It's complete gone with a balanced DAC.

The Crown is an XLS 1500 which does not have the special higher sensitivity setting that the XLS 1502 has, so its the same as the lower sensitivity setting on that amp. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Schiit Heresy being the problem component, I just didn't want to order an L30 only to find the same problem. I'll be waiting a bit as I just ordered a MOTU M4 which should fix my noise problems. The only thing left to find out is if it sounds good to me. Thanks for the response!

MadMan

They use software EQ. I'm not exactly sure how software EQ works alongside exclusive mode audio for Windows, for normal Windows mixer audio it should apply the EQ. For your DAP you'd have to see whether the EQ affects USB output.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
L30 received today (From Shenzenaudio)

Very clean sounding, plenty of power. High gain , 12 o' clock is loud for Fostex T60 with a 3 dB preamp reduction and a few dB off on the DAC volume too. Grado PS1000 low gain is plenty- well controlled.

Good work @JohnYang1997 .Now get back in that shed and solder a few more thousand.

kingdoc2020

Hi guys,
I'm new to this audiophile experience. I'm try to decide budget amp/dac combo that can maximize my beyerdynamic amiron wired headphone. I have in mind the topping E30 and Creative G6. Will really appreciate your charm in!:):)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys,
I'm new to this audiophile experience. I'm try to decide budget amp/dac combo that can maximize my beyerdynamic amiron wired headphone. I have in mind the topping E30 and Creative G6. Will really appreciate your charm in!:):)

Isnt the G6 a Dac/amp combo in itself? The e30 would need a separate HP amp- I have just taken delivery of the topping L30 (matches e30) and its great.

Top Bottom