• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

aHaidc

No issue here, but rather tight. Try better cables probably.
I tried 4 different RCA Cables and they were slightly loose. The RCA Cables I tried fit perfectly on other female RCA Jacks of my Phono Preamp, Preamp, Power Amps, DACs. Not as loose as they will easily fall apart, just not as tight as some other RCA female jacks.

raif71

Major Contributor
I just notice that most of the people that mentioned the L30 getting hot are from the Americas and those that say only warm are from Asia, Australia and Europe. Just thought I'd mentioned it...might not be true. Maybe a poll just to make sure?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I just notice that most of the people that mentioned the L30 getting hot are from the Americas and those that say only warm are from Asia, Australia and Europe. Just thought I'd mentioned it...might not be true. Maybe a poll just to make sure?
Amir said: In use, the L30 got a bit warm but nothing to be concerned about.

I won't look into it unless anyone shows that their L30 runs over 50c.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Amir has a FLIR and could measure it when off, after an hour and after a day or so.
Someone with a simple thermometer could also chime in.
We would have objective data of the L30's in question when a picture is shown how the amp was measured.
Those that claim 'hot' can easily put a thermometer on top and say how hot (and measure ambient).
This will be resolved as easily as the 'max output power' thingy.

When @amirm would have found it hot I am sure he would have dug out his FLIR.

FWIW my E30 (2004) has no issues with RCA cables I own/use.

Last edited:

MechEngVic

Okay, there is one thing that's annoying and it isn't L30 (serial 2005) exclusive - same on E30 (serial 2003). The RCAs connectors have a smaller diameter than usual making almost all my cables being kind a loose cutting the signal. There is another E30 (serial 2006) here and the fitting is okay, did Topping realize this and replaced the connectors?
YUP! Same problem!

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have been very happy with my E30/L30 combo. No problems driving my HD600, I haven't had the need to go hi gain yet, even with some EQ & headroom applied in Roon.
IMG_20200904_094119.jpg
My RCA connectors are also fine. The L30 doesn't get overly warm. Also have to mention that I got good service from Hifitalo (the Topping reseller here in Finland).

MechEngVic

The same RCA sockets have been used for years. And I just tried with L30 with two different rca cables. It's not overly tight, but adequate.
I was using the same connectors on a Topping D30 and they were snug sliding on, on the L30 they were loose sliding on. Luckily my connectors are locking connectors so it just takes a few more twists. When I get home I'm gonna whip out my calipers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I was using the same connectors on a Topping D30 and they were snug sliding on, on the L30 they were loose sliding on. Luckily my connectors are locking connectors so it just takes a few more twists. When I get home I'm gonna whip out my calipers.
Maybe I'll try some more units. I really doubt that would be something.

half_dog

My L30 got quite hot at the first time it was turned on, after a little more than a hour reaching ~48ºC for a moment and than cooled down. After that it has been running warm, but not as my Dell G7 haha
Just did a quick measurement and it is running at 37ºC right now.

The same RCA sockets have been used for years. And I just tried with L30 with two different rca cables. It's not overly tight, but adequate.
Maybe that was a batch which came out like this. Just to give you a reference: E30 (batch 2003) and L30 (2005) have a loose fitting. The E30 (2006) is okay. I had a D10 and D30 before and had no problem with their RCAs sockets.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 282
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 268

Asylum Seeker

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My L30 got quite hot at the first time it was turned on, after a little more than a hour reaching ~48ºC for a moment and than cooled down. After that it has been running warm, but not as my Dell G7 haha
Just did a quick measurement and it is running at 37ºC right now.

Maybe that was a batch which came out like this. Just to give you a reference: E30 (batch 2003) and L30 (2005) have a loose fitting. The E30 (2006) is okay. I had a D10 and D30 before and had no problem with their RCAs sockets.

So 10 degrees difference even when stacked on the E30... seems pretty much as expected.

half_dog

Yep, it seems reasonable to me too. BTW, it has been on for 4 hours straight. Now I'm listening to an AKG E0-IG955 and L30 keeps around 37~38ºC.

aHaidc

Amir said: In use, the L30 got a bit warm but nothing to be concerned about.

I won't look into it unless anyone shows that their L30 runs over 50c.
I think some people dont use any thremometer on their L30 to be sure that its temperature is "hot". The question is "how hot it is?". I used to think that my Pass Labs XA25 (Class A Stereo Amplifier) was "hot" when I put my hand on the heat sink after more than 1 hour without air conditioner. However, I used a thremometer to measure and the heatsink's temperature was only around 45-48oC. Higher than body temperature. L30 would probably won't be as hot as my XA25 for sure. I haven't had L30 because it hasn't been sold in my country yet. I will get it within this week or next week and measure it by then.

dpippel

No issue here, but rather tight. Try better cables probably.

No issues on my L30 or E30 either. Three different sets of RCA cables all seat tight and fit snugly, about the same as on my S.M.S.L M200 and Monolith 887.

Vruksha

Planning to get the L30. I am an iem guy mostly. Anybody tried the L30 with low impedance iem's around 10ohms? My daily driver Shuoer h27 is 10ohms and most fav Fearless S8f is 15ohms, wondering if there would be any hissing issue with these? Thanks

Vruksha

My L30 just arrived today at a local shop and I bought it straight away after testing it (with d10s) over there. Here are some pictures of L30 with E30 on top of a coffee table (temporary place till I get a desk)

View attachment 79130
Using usb input, source is a Hiby R5

View attachment 79131

Side view to show how the power supply is connected. Using the Hexagon socket with usb ports. imho is adequate for the bulky and heavy power supply to remain stable

Overall, I'm quite happy with the performance. I especially like the -9db gain switch for iem usage.
What made you choose the E30 over D10s? Can you pls explain

raif71

Major Contributor
What made you choose the E30 over D10s? Can you pls explain
Actually I have both. I bought the E30 months ago and I took the L30 and D10s on the same day. I mainly use the D10s and my old D10 to connect to my two receivers using the coax out. Handy usb interfaces to the receivers as they don't have usb audio support.

half_dog

Planning to get the L30. I am an iem guy mostly. Anybody tried the L30 with low impedance iem's around 10ohms? My daily driver Shuoer h27 is 10ohms and most fav Fearless S8f is 15ohms, wondering if there would be any hissing issue with these? Thanks

Tested with 2 sensitivity in ears and the only noise I could hear was when L30 were in high gain and its volume maxed. The noise was coming from E30 (very, very faint noise), not from amp. With my Galaxy S9, no noise at all. This with no music playing.

Top Bottom