• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Wait a minute. Is it better to just set a higher output with E30? Like 3V?

Ah yes much better solution.

3125b

Major Contributor
since it has digital attenuation - why not ;)

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The consumer line-level nominal voltage is -10 dbV, that is 0.316 Vrms. The nominal level is often 20 dB below full scale, so full scale at around 3 Vrms is according to the reference.

adolchristin

Wait a minute. Is it better to just set a higher output with E30? Like 3V?

Ah yes much better solution.

But then you get the other side of the crowd crying about "cheating" with a DAC that's "too hot".

I say leave well enough alone; you're dealing with the (extremely) vocal minority here. The specs are clear to anyone who cares enough to read them. I'm very happy with 3 useful ranges of gain. I think it's the first amp I've ever owned that had such.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many of other specs won't be achieved with 2V input either. Like dynamic range etc. The whole set of specs won't look right if 2V input is a criteria.

From a technical communications perspective, that is not an insurmountable problem. It is easily addressed.

You provide three tables of data. The first table provides the specifications that don't change depending on the input. The next two tables group together these specifications for the specific input value. One table of specifications for one input. Another for the other.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 just leave L30 the way it is. If you want to change anything, change the manual with an extra footnote. Don't change the basics....

Thanks from an L30 owner.
I think we'll change the E30's output to 3V. As there's some pcb changes going on with E30, it's much more convenient and elegant to just change output level of E30.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Sorry to muddy the water. Won't that make the e30 less usable as a digital preamp? If its got to go to 3v. It's going to have to ramp up volume faster so there would be bigger steps when using the volume control?

3125b

Major Contributor
It's got 99dB attenuation ...

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry to muddy the water. Won't that make the e30 less usable as a digital preamp? If its got to go to 3v. It's going to have to ramp up volume faster so there would be bigger steps when using the volume control?
You can just attenuate it. No problems doing that. Variable pre-amp is included for that reason after all.

3125b

Major Contributor
0.5dB stepping.
"Twice nothing is still noting" is all I can say to that.

adolchristin

I think we'll change the E30's output to 3V. As there's some pcb changes going on with E30, it's much more convenient and elegant to just change output level of E30.

Probably outside your realm of expertise but how will you handle the SKU management/documentation here. Sounds like a nightmare with existing models in the field.

Top Bottom