• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Quomz

Y though. SP200 wasn't that great with its super high gain. meh. people be deaf, I guess.
I think either John underestimates how loud people like to listen or these magic decibel numbers we - I read for example 120dB should be an aim - seem to be fixated on is making us blind for how loud we really listen.

Infernosaint

Will it bother you if I only put it in High gain? Just asking for some suggestions. Personally I only use mid gain or -9dB gain.

I mean, the flexibility is nice, and it is nice to be able to use high sensitivity stuff balanced, and still have good volume control. I would always prefer to have the gain options. I have only used medium gain so far..

I think the only "issue" here, is yet another variable (input voltage) when measuring, since when I look at "max power" measured here, and see it lower than the specs, I get confused.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yep strong points of THX 789. Good to see on cheaper product. Schiit high gain is ridiculous. But i don't understand the relation between gain and power. Can't you have more power but same gains ? My SBX AE5 is louder than SE THX 789 but THX have 4x more power.
With same input voltage, same gain, output power for high impedance is the same assuming no clipping. Gain is practically change of input voltage. The actual ceiling of the power limit is from the supply rail and output stage current output capability.
You can have higher gain with less powerful amp, but you would also clip earlier. In the case of L30 is it is still far from clipping. What really matters? headroom? or practical output power? or none?

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok guys. That's cool. Next amp: +18dB gain we go.
I think either John underestimates how loud people like to listen or these magic decibel numbers we - I read for example 120dB should be an aim - seem to be fixated on is making us blind for how loud we really listen.
My bro listens THX 789 high gain max knob position with Ananda which is sensitive af. He is crazy lol. He don't have hearing issue.

Eetu

Forum Donor
Congrats on the design @JohnYang1997 ! A thought excercise inspired by the gain-complainers: what would happen if you had E30 (or any other ~2V DAC) + daisy chained two L30s? o_O (I think the gain options are fine btw and going the get one)

odyo

That's not too insane it seems... I would be impressed if he uses bal in and bal out with high gain...
Humans are weird biological creatures. Loudness perception depends a lot on time of the day, your mood, circadian clock etc similiar to our eyes.

Can THX 789 blow Ananda btw ? How Ananda can withstand 1W+ load though.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How many you guys listen to headphones with high gain volume maxed?:oops:
Eh...what was that you said.?

jb1.jpg

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok guys. That's cool. Next amp: +18dB gain we go.
You will never make everyone happy. If you do the +18 gain, then others will come out of the woodwork to complain the gain is too high. You even polled everyone during development on whether these gain settings were appropriate!

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
although now that I think about it, it seems with the L30 (compared to the Heresy) I'd really be getting a mid and high gain setting that roughly match what the Heresy has plus a lower gain setting I'd never use because I don't use iems at all...hmmm

Veri

Master Contributor
My bro listens THX 789 high gain max knob position with Ananda which is sensitive af. He is crazy lol. He don't have hearing issue.
Low impedance planar like Verum or Ananda, THX + high gain over a really long time, might one day nuke the amp honestly. It is the most straining combination and makes it run hot af.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Humans are weird biological creatures. Loudness perception depends a lot on time of the day, your mood, circadian clock etc similiar to our eyes.

Loudness perception also seems to depend highly on what you've gotten your ears accustomed to during any given listening session. I have to force myself to set the volume at what I know is a reasonable level and try very hard not to let myself creep that knob up and up because as soon as I let things get loud, that becomes the new normal and I want it louder and louder...

and I'd really recommend folks try hard to keep those ears safe and protected. Tinnitus sucks! Believe me I know...

Last edited:

Tup3x

And here I'd be perfectly happy with -18dB gain... Currently have E30 at -17,5dB and O2 around 10-11 o'clock (unity gain).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

Ananda as planar has long travel distance and the ability to move air. Also as we know it can't be standing 1W. Music is dynamic, so mostly it would be around 100mW possibly. Ananda is not that sensitive but mid sensitivity imo.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You will never make everyone happy. If you do the +18 gain, then others will come out of the woodwork to complain the gain is too high. You even polled everyone during development on whether these gain settings were appropriate!
Oh right! I did that. I can sleep well now.

Top Bottom