• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
Because that one has XLR inputs as well... wait, do those require the standard 4Vrms from the DAC or is it some higher number?
A90 can do XLR in XLR out, so with double input voltage and balanced output it will obviously go a lot louder than L30... it doesn't need >4Vrms...

Yuno

The real reason to buy this over a magni/atom gonna be availability or that sexy output switch
And better gain switch. And actual availability in Europe (pending).

Side note: my current dac/amp outputs 200mW@300Ohm, the only thing I get from this is being unable to use most of volume pot. I would gladly cut it's power in half if I could.

Feanor

Forum Donor
The L30 is yet another stunning achievement from Topping. Amir, thanks for the review.

What could make hi-fi sound lovers happier that ultra-low cost, high-performance equipment? Clearly it's possible to do; pity it isn't done in AV receivers.

I am hoping the Topping soon comes up with a 200 wpc power amp for, say, <US$500.

Chocomel

Because that one has XLR inputs as well... wait, do those require the standard 4Vrms from the DAC or is it some higher number?
Quick (hopefully correct maths) and a90 spec sheet would need 3Vrms input for the balanced output to get full power, ~18Vrms although higher distortion threshold than 0.1% will probably yield more power (in turn need higher input voltage). It's gain is 15.5dB or about x6 for the balanced output.

Edit: or i could have just had a better look a the spec sheet
Input sensitivity
9.5Vrms @ Gain = low
8.8Vrms @ Gain = medium
2.9Vrms @ Gain = high
This is for both the SE and balanced output so for the A90 need 3Vrms as well for the SE to get full power just like the L30, like John mentioned

Infernosaint

But RCA input? Anyway. I get it.

I don't think it was tested, at least not in the original.

I am currently using an A90 RCA in (until tomorrow) and I max out medium gain Balanced into my Sundaras. No idea what that means, but I assume I will not need nearly as much with XLR in.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Yes as I mentioned, for me the 3 gain stages is a nice feature. I'd ideally like to be able to max the volume on the amp and use the E30 for attenuation. I find with the Heresy, high gain is too loud maxed - i never have to have the volume in foobar much above 50%. But low gain is a little too low at max on the pot. That's with HE-400i headphones btw...

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How many you guys listen to headphones with high gain volume maxed?:oops:
Well i prefer L30 any day but the specs are confusing. This is as powerful as Atom then. Heresy more powerful.

I will criticize Topping product management though. There are too much products and prices all over the place. A90 could've been THX 789 killer but it's priced premium. Dac amp combos have ridiculous output impedances.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Well i prefer L30 any day but the specs are confusing. This is as powerful as Atom then. Heresy more powerful.

I will criticize Topping product management though. There are too much products and prices all over the place. A90 could've been THX 789 killer but it's priced premium. Dac amp combos have ridiculous output impedances.
There will be the true THX 789 killer.

odyo

Those are not necessarily practical issues. Gain settings are. It would affect user experience if you have too much gain, unusable high gain setting.
Even in terms of performance, noise performance definitely matters for sensitive IEMs. This is one of the few amps that actually usable for sensitive IEMs. Low noise essentially made the high SINAD number.
In the end I'm not at all saying this amp is just better because it has better performance.
But at this rate of competition you need to have higher performance.
Yep strong points of THX 789. Good to see on cheaper product. Schiit high gain is ridiculous. But i don't understand the relation between gain and power. Can't you have more power but same gains ? My SBX AE5 is louder than SE THX 789 but THX have 4x more power.

odyo

The real reason to buy this over a magni/atom gonna be availability or that sexy output switch
Honestly this is better than all.

1- Atom: Bad build. Less functionality. Doesn't matter but worse performance. $99
2- Heresy: OK build. Less functionality. Doesn't matter but worse performance. More power. $99
3- L30: +$40 premium but really nice build, knob, gains, functions, performance etc...

Atom and Heresy not easily available outside US. Only the power is a little bit disappointing imo. I was expecting same power as Heresy.

Top Bottom