• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

nagydann

Can anyone tell me how much is the real power consumption of L30? Did anyone measure it? (I want to change the AC/AC adaptor to a lower voltage version as in my country the AC in the wall outlet is around 230-240V so the L30 heats up even more than for others.) The idle voltage that the original Topping AC adaptor gives out form itself is 19V which is way too high for a 15V input amplifier.

asrUser

I didn't like how the power brick of the L30 was warm while my L30 was off! It seems to consume energy all the time. In the end I got rid of the Topping device and went for Schiit.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I didn't like how the power brick of the L30 was warm while my L30 was off! It seems to consume energy all the time. In the end I got rid of the Topping device and went for Schiit.
And what did you change with it?
The small Schiit devices work according to the same principle when it comes to the power supply, external transformer with half-wave rectification in the device, no difference in power consumption.
You only need to plug the transformer into a switchable socket adapter for €3-6,- and the problem would be solved just as well as with more expensive devices with a built-in mains switch.
Or you can take a high-quality power strip with a power switch where the N and L conductors are separated. Then the devices would also be protected when they are switched off.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Can anyone tell me how much is the real power consumption of L30? Did anyone measure it? (I want to change the AC/AC adaptor to a lower voltage version as in my country the AC in the wall outlet is around 230-240V so the L30 heats up even more than for others.) The idle voltage that the original Topping AC adaptor gives out form itself is 19V which is way too high for a 15V input amplifier.
If you open the L30, you will see two measuring points with +23VIN and -23VIN next to the two large capacitors, so the device expects this DC voltage.
With a 12 volt transformer, that could be too little. There are such AC power packs in the IT sector (routers, modems, etc.) with 13.5 or 13.8V.
Alternatively, you could use a high-quality 15V toroidal transformer, which should have a lower no-load voltage.

Last edited:

asrUser

And what did you change with it?
I upgraded to a balanced amp with built-in main. Now I like the sound more as my headphones sound smoother.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I upgraded to a balanced amp with built-in main. Now I like the sound more as my headphones sound smoother.
That's a completely different class of device.
All Schiit devices that have a mains connection and an on/off switch on the back are disconnected from the mains.

Blaazen

I have E30+L30 and I live in country with 230V/50Hz. I can confirm that both L30 and power brick are warm (L30 more). I plugged my socket watt meter which shows 6.6W. Actually the value is oscillating from 6.4 to 6.7W. It does not matter what gain or volume I set or if music play or not (class A?).

Last edited:
Reactions: trl

Blaazen

I forgot to say I have 44ohm headphones with 100dB /mW sensitivity and I set the lowest gain on L30.

Blaazen

I completely forgot: L30 power brick pulls 2.8W when L30 is switched off (small transformers are not very efficient). You can see that total power consumption 6.6W are losses in power brick 2.8W plus consumption of L30 itself 3.8W.
So the recommendation above to power stripe or surge protection with On-Off button makes sense.

Reactions: trl

psychokiller

I happened to open a Topping L30 "power supply" because it fell apart itself while removing it from the plug one day, so I can tell you what kind or extraordinary technology it is based upon, by having seen it with my own eyes:
transformer.jpg

YES! The L30 power supply is just a transformer.
No electronics whatsoever in it at all.
Just a bunch of laminated metal foils and wires wrapped around both sides.

L30 expect AC voltage on its input, so despite being switched off it will still consume some power.
The only solutions are:
  • connect the supplied adapter to a power stripe/socket who has a circuit breaker
  • find an expensive AC/AC power adapter with power switch and proper plugs
I choose the first.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The idle voltage that the original Topping AC adaptor gives out form itself is 19V which is way too high for a 15V input amplifier.

It isn't actually.
The 'nominal' voltage rating is specified under the specified load current. When you measure the output voltage of a not or lightly loaded transformer it will give a higher voltage.
So that's normal and nothing to worry about. The voltage will drop when a higher current is drawn.

Yes, these transformers do get warm due to magnetic losses, also pretty normal. Certainly smaller sized E-I core transformers. They should not get hot but 'warm' is normal.
The efficiency of a mains transformer is lower than that of a well made SMPS.

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I happened to open a Topping L30 "power supply" because it fell apart itself while removing it from the plug one day, so I can tell you what kind or extraordinary technology it is based upon, by having seen it with my own eyes:
View attachment 237863

YES! The L30 power supply is just a transformer.
No electronics whatsoever in it at all.
Just a bunch of laminated metal foils and wires wrapped around both sides.

L30 expect AC voltage on its input, so despite being switched off it will still consume some power.
The only solutions are:
  • connect the supplied adapter to a power stripe/socket who has a circuit breaker
  • find an expensive AC/AC power adapter with power switch and proper plugs
I choose the first.

We already knew it was just a transformer.

And of low quality. One just exploded on me, and the Topping seller graciously refunded me completely even though with a different transformer it is working perfectly. A very nice potted transformer made in Germany by Block.

scociu

Forum Donor
Do you reckon the L30 would be enough for driving the Hifiman Edition XS (18 ohm, 92db, planar) or should I bite the bullet and pay extra for the A90?

Veri

Master Contributor
Do you reckon the L30 would be enough for driving the Hifiman Edition XS (18 ohm, 92db, planar) or should I bite the bullet and pay extra for the A90?
L30 II sure is! Any reason you'd buy the older L30?

Ashimaru

I once tried the Hifiman Edition XS on my E30 + L30, and it was enough with the mid gain.
You can go to A90 if balanced port is needed. I think you also don't need to go to L30 II if the price in your country is more expensive than L30 OG.

ngs428

I use my XS with my L30 @ E30. I go between low and medium gain. Plenty of headroom.

gino1961

Hi as a owner of the L30 1st version i wonder if i could get any substantial benefit upgrading to the L30 mk II
Thanks a lot gino

staticV3

Master Contributor
@gino1961
Low gain is more quiet on the L30II than on the L30 and High gain is louder. Medium gain is the same.
If Low gain on the L30 is not quiet enough for you or if High gain is not loud enough, then upgrading might be worth it.
Otherwise, better to keep your current Amp.

gino1961

@gino1961
Low gain is more quiet on the L30II than on the L30 and High gain is louder. Medium gain is the same.
If Low gain on the L30 is not quiet enough for you or if High gain is not loud enough, then upgrading might be worth it.
Otherwise, better to keep your current Amp.
Hi thank you very much for the very kind and valuable advice.
I have some channel unbalance at the very low volume settings
I was thinking to use an external quality attenuator in front of the amp.
But i understand that the input impedance of the L30 is extremely low and i have abandoned the idea.

staticV3

Master Contributor
what position is the volume knob of your L30 in when listening at the low volume setting? Like 12 o'clock, 9, etc.

Top Bottom