• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

audiofun

Im a total noob and a little bit confused, according to the specs the L30 should be a bit more powerful compared to the dx3 pro+, yet at 32ohms the dx3 pro+ outputs 1.5w compared to the 1w of the L30, right? Am I missing something?
you need to have a dac that generate more than 2V in rca output, to make L30 generate more than 1w of power.

Dolgen

I have a Topping l30 with the serial number below 2012. I'm concerned of course about that static discharge problem. Would I be correct in assuming that if I avoid ever touching the unit directly, the ESD is not a potential problem?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Topping l30 with the serial number below 2012. I'm concerned of course about that static discharge problem. Would I be correct in assuming that if I avoid ever touching the unit directly, the ESD is not a potential problem?
You'll be plugging headphones in though?

Dolgen

Of course. But I can plug and unplug them, after the unit is on, without touching the unit, and have been doing so for a week now. I just use a cd case to hold the amp in place while I plug and unplug. I turn the unit on and off from a power strip, and change the volume from my DAC. Am I safe, do you think?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course. But I can plug and unplug them, after the unit is on, without touching the unit, and have been doing so for a week now. I just use a cd case to hold the amp in place while I plug and unplug. I turn the unit on and off from a power strip, and change the volume from my DAC. Am I safe, do you think?
ESD is a unpredictable beasty and it is everywhere so there is no denying it can happen to you, me or whomever. Can you just sent it in for replacement?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Of course. But I can plug and unplug them, after the unit is on,

It does not matter for ESD damage to occur if the device is on or off. Topping did the recall action for a reason.
Then again... its your headphone that could potentially be damaged. Chances are it will last for many years but could also break in a few months or so. No one can tell.

Dolgen

Well, thanks ... too bad for me, as I guess I've wasted a hundred bucks. Unfortunately the reviews I read about the unit before I bought it didn't contain the information on the ESD problem. I guess I'll try to sell it really cheaply with a strong warning... that should be interesting!
BTW, it sounded really nice and clean with sweet tonality.

Zim

Forum Donor
Seems like a new version is incoming. Wonder what they've change.
294310744_5668821183128694_3950972118544934892_n.jpg

Ashimaru

Does anyone have L30 (silver) + D10s (silver) and L30 (silver) + D10s (black)? What does it look like when stacked?
I'm considering buying a D10s as a pair for my silver L30.

Peternz

I just got a L30. What a super product, any way you look at it. A game changer if there ever was one, and yes it sounds amazing. I have had a number of headphone amplifiers and this is superior.

Thank you for this review and to Topping for producing this.

Last edited:

Agc831

Hello, is this still a recommended amp for the ~$100 range? I mainly have iems but i’m also planning to buy some sundaras. The jds atom+ seems good as well.

I also see that there is a L30 II releasing soon. Is there any information on that?

tiramisu

L50 is essentially the L30 II. they are all the same to your ears pick your favorite price, features and form factor

tictactoes

Hello there,
I have e30 and L30 combo paired with my He6se and I've noticed that when its under high load the amp cuts out and clicks twice.
This results in audio cut off and back on.
The led white light flashes off then back on and resumes audio.
This just occurs completely at random intervals.

Does anyone happen to have any idea what the issue is or a solution for such thing?

Many thanks in advance

Peternz

Hello there,
I have e30 and L30 combo paired with my He6se and I've noticed that when its under high load the amp cuts out and clicks twice.

Does anyone happen to have any idea what the issue is or a solution for such thing?

Many thanks in advance

The solution is to get a more powerful amp.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello there,

Many thanks in advance
The L30 is too little amp for such hungry headphone. Get the L50 or A50S.

Veri

Master Contributor
@WolfX-700 meaurements:

E30 looks nice. L30 looks very nice.

gokica

Hello,

I am using NX4 DSD in combination with L30.

When using as DAC only the output of NX4 is 2 Vrm. As I understand L30 is best driven with DAC that outputs 3 Vrm. My question is how much Vrm does Nx4 output without gain on its headphone out?

Thank you.

Last edited:

gokica

Oh I am ignorant but thanks to this site I have learned from the measurements that in LO gain mode NX4 outputs 2 VRMS. In High gain NX4 outputs whooping 6 VRMS at max volume. Therefore to feed amplified signal into L30 on the NX4 I need to be on high gain mode and the volume should be at around 12'. This should potentially reach 3 VRMS for the L30 to shine. Probably I can feed higher VRM but the volume on the L30 should be lower in order to prevent damage.

Top Bottom