• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

gino1961

what position is the volume knob of your L30 in when listening at the low volume setting? Like 12 o'clock, 9, etc.
from zero to 9
I think i see your point
If i use the amp outside that zone no issue You are right

gino1961

Then with the L30II you will most likely have less channel imbalance, because you have to turn the knob up more to get the same volume, so you're more in that optimal zone.
:) thanks a lot I think i will get one then
But first i have to know better about the Sabaj A10h
i need a remote volume control for my tv audio system desperately

GD83

Hello, my device is broken, the left channel no longer works and a loud noise is heard when switching on in the speakers, I would like to take it out of the box to see the circuits but it is difficult, how to do it?

thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20230123_165102.jpg
    IMG_20230123_165102.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 92

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
short disassembly howto from earlier in the thread. What are the 1st 4 digits of serial number? I thought all the versions after the recall had the pogo-pin soldered to the board below the left hand case screw, but yours doesn't seem to have it.

GD83

Thank you, I managed to open, here is the information.

So far it has worked very well so I haven't worried about any technical variations of the product in its existence.

Attachments

• IMG_20230123_174030.jpg
    IMG_20230123_174030.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20230123_174045.jpg
    IMG_20230123_174045.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 95

artburda

GD83

Yes unfortunately I got this one second hand, it broke down after I touched it and got a static shock, I inquired about the serial numbers in the meantime and it seems that static electricity is a problem, in any case the circuits have no apparent damage, but hey I think I'll find a more solid replacement, my electronic knowledge is poor........

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes unfortunately I got this one second hand, it broke down after I touched it and got a static shock, I inquired about the serial numbers in the meantime and it seems that static electricity is a problem, in any case the circuits have no apparent damage, but hey I think I'll find a more solid replacement, my electronic knowledge is poor........
Happend to mine. Disconnect and destroy I would say. Definitely don't plug headphones in again. Or anything to the rca for that matter

artburda

Yes unfortunately I got this one second hand
So you got scammed. Did you buy on ebay? I would report the person, since he/she got a replacement for free from topping and was supposed to destroy and throw away the old device. Maybe it‘s even illegal to resell a device that has been recalled, but I‘m no legal expert.

Last edited:

GD83

It's very sad, I got it on a famous French second-hand site, my Sennheiser HD 560S still works after testing, it's the one that was plugged into it, I was afraid for him, Topping D10S and Aiyima D08 still work too.

If you want give me good references for replacement headphone amp to go with Topping D10S and Aiyima D08......

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Topping L30 in it's current form is not bad. It's just those old ones that suck.
There is also a L30 II, which is state of the art, it beats @amirm measurement equipment in some aspects:

I was bitten by this as well, bought used, it died. Learned a lesson.

Also welcome :cool:

Veri

Master Contributor
It's very sad, I got it on a famous French second-hand site, my Sennheiser HD 560S still works after testing, it's the one that was plugged into it, I was afraid for him, Topping D10S and Aiyima D08 still work too.
Someone knowingly sold you an early/faulty unit while he got a replacement for free. Sad indeed. Hopefully karma bites him in the end.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone knowingly sold you an early/faulty unit while he got a replacement for free
Objection your honor. Speculation.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Fair enough but it's likely. The bad originals should have been marked or destroyed.

Two guys even contacted me to get my old, defective one, and the second one that I got as a replacement where the external transformer exploded in smoke. They actually wanted to pay, but I told them no. I destroyed the first and built a replacement transformer for the second (same V, slightly higher A to get a bit of headroom and stress the transformer less). Honestly, I cannot sell something I know it is defective or may be.

JensH

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Repairing it won't sort the incorrect DC offset protection that required a design change, also covered by the recall. I'd check with Topping whether they will replace it. The worst they can do is say that they already issued a replacement for that serial number and refuse, but you might be lucky.

JensH

That is correct. A replacement is of course the best solution. Repair is the next best. And yes, the DC protection of the old version did not work very well.
If the ESD issue is solved, the risk of getting DC on the output should be relatively small, provided the repair is done correctly (mainly that the OPA1612 is soldered correctly). The amplifier is AC coupled on the input, so only a malfunction would cause a DC voltage on the output.

GD83

I consider myself happy that my equipment is doing well following this unpleasant experience, topping L30 is now in oblivion or it will no longer be able to harm innocent audio equipment.

Thanks for your advice anyway.

Top Bottom