• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Wow, nice!

Can it handle 16 ohm load? How much power at 16 Ohm?

Any thump, pop or crack at startup, shutdown, or loss of power?
3.5W 16ohm dual channel driven.
No pop on startup and shutdown.
The indicator LED is gentle and warm white color that's visible at all angles.

Bamboszek

Chapeau bas! Stunning performance in affordable package.
I had somewhat similar idea with my composite headphone amplifier. TPA6120A2 nested inside feedback loop and half wave PSU.
I wish I could own APx555B and be able to optimize my amplifier to such high SINAD levels.
Do you also observed increased distortion from thermal feedback effect at TPA6120A2? It happens with heavy loads like 16-50Ω at low frequencies.
johnc from Texas Instruments introduced me to this distortion mechanism here.
Is L30 DC-coupled? I see some relays, only power-on delay or maybe there is DC protection too?

urfaust

That looks more inline with what we got

514xT269UVL._AC_.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Chapeau bas! Stunning performance in affordable package.
I had somewhat similar idea with my composite headphone amplifier. TPA6120A2 nested inside feedback loop and half wave PSU.
I wish I could own APx555B and be able to optimize my amplifier to such high SINAD levels.
Do you also observed increased distortion from thermal feedback effect at TPA6120A2? It happens with heavy loads like 16-50Ω at low frequencies.
johnc from Texas Instruments introduced me to this distortion mechanism here.
Is L30 DC-coupled? I see some relays, only power-on delay or maybe there is DC protection too?
L30 doesn't show that behaviour.
AC coupled using a large electrolytic cap. Has DC protection implemented. Low frequency distortion is still under 0.00003% (4 zeros after decimal point).

Bamboszek

To keep thermal noise down.
Thermal nosie of 10kΩ resistor in 20°C with 20kHz BW is already 1.8µV.
IMHO any DAC with comparable performance to this amplifier would drive 2k5 without any problems. If we want compatibility with worse gear 10k or more would be preferable.
EDIT
John was a bit faster ;)

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
To keep thermal noise down.
Thermal nosie of 10kΩ resistor in 20°C with 20kHz BW is already 1.8µV.
IMHO any DAC with comparable performance to this amplifier would drive 2k5 without any problems. If we want compatibility with worse gear 10k or more would be preferable.
EDIT
John was a bit faster ;)
Thermal noise depends the way the input is implemented. You can have high impedance low noise input.
I would be curious to see M400 RCA -> L30 bode plot...
More generally, I don't think that consumers should pay attention to such details. An input stage should work well with whatever it's fed (the same for a line output BTW). Else the door is open to BS like "synergies" between gear.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thermal noise depends the way the input is implemented. You can have high impedance low noise input.
I would be curious to see M400 RCA -> L30 bode plot...
More generally, I don't think that consumers should pay attention to such details. An input stage should work well with whatever it's fed (the same for a line output BTW). Else the door is open to whatever BS like "synergies" between gear.
M400 RCA output supposedly have buffer but they fked up the LPF. It pairs with E30 and D10s so no issue from my point of view. 2.5K is low in your book. But higher than 600ohm means high to me.

Top Bottom