• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thank you JohnYang1997 for the detailed replies and thoughts on what might have happened. I reside in Las Vegas, NV which is dry desert. Perhaps this makes static electricity a more common occurrence for me. I think I am going to purchase another Topping L30 next time it goes on sale again for $119 from Amazon. However, I am going to move it to another room that has tile or wood floors to avoid any chance of this happening again. I see this as a learning experience and I am grateful for your shared insight. Thank you very much for your time and wisdom.
I would recommend waiting for a30pro as it has internal power supply and grounded chassis. In the mean time I'll try my best investigating and reproduce, and hopefully prevent the issue from happening.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would recommend waiting for a30pro as it has internal power supply and grounded chassis. In the mean time I'll try my best investigating and reproduce, and hopefully prevent the issue from happening.

Wear a fleece, sit on a fabric sofa and wear rubber soled slippers, then go near the amp.

Veri

Master Contributor
Any ETA on A30 Pro, John? :)

Sak

jawbfl

Topping should solve these issues and withdraw affected SNs from the market, ESD is not a reason for electronics to die in 2021, I watched Linus/Electroboom videos and it shows that with a good design it's really hard to kill electronics with ESD even sensitive devices like RAM so Amps should be way more resilient. Personally I don't want to risk my headphones and these problems made me discard L30 and look into getting something else especially with the last price hike. I hope A30pro is a better design.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Thank you JohnYang1997 for the detailed replies and thoughts on what might have happened. I reside in Las Vegas, NV which is dry desert. Perhaps this makes static electricity a more common occurrence for me. I think I am going to purchase another Topping L30 next time it goes on sale again for $119 from Amazon. However, I am going to move it to another room that has tile or wood floors to avoid any chance of this happening again. I see this as a learning experience and I am grateful for your shared insight. Thank you very much for your time and wisdom.
Topping should send you a free one just because

damian612

Sorry to confirm that L30 is vulnerable to static. It killed my earphones and is inoperable now. Thank God, my active speakers Neumann KH 120 managed to survive. Cut my losses. I do not need a L30 replacement. Sorry, next time RME or Okto only.

Last edited:

kkeretic

I took precautions and put the cheapest headphones I have on my L30 (although those aren’t exactly cheap either). Plays fantastic, but just in case, don’t trust the situation at the moment. :rolleyes:

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have always read that internal PSUs are bad for the signal, due to transformers and such.
High-end Hi-Fi equipment often have external PSUs.
I was happy to have an external PSU on the L30.
Why go back to internal ?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you ensure a ground connection, that would protect against ESD, wouldn't it?

Top Bottom