• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Thalis

But I would like to use E30 as DAC only, what cons would there be putting E30 in preamp mode while using L30 for plugging in my gear?
you asked if you can use the remote as a volume control... so the only way to do that is to put the E30 in preamp mode. you set the L30 to the loudest you feel for your ears then just control the volume using the E30

Hi, I'm waiting in excitement for my l30, will be using it with Luxman turntable. Can't wait, have both dx3pro and dx7pro from before.

Sorry if I have totally misunderstood this but are you saying this applies to headphones ? As in, you can turn up the volume above say, 12, and it makes no difference (bar the obvious like, it's too loud for ears or headphones)

Cheers.
Hello, I do not know if my messages are interpreted well, I use a translator. If I understood your question correctly, I was referring to the PRE mode, not the HPA, specifically the volume, of the E30 L30 and speakers. I tried to explain that it is possible to achieve the same volume using E30 and speakers or using E30 L30 and speakers, without modifying the volume steps on the speakers. Because it had happened to several users that with the E30 and the amplified speakers we obtained better results without adding the L30 to the combo. That is, when adding the L30 we had to raise several volume steps in the amplified speakers, or we felt that it was losing power in the bass or depth. Of course you can also set a suitable volume on the amplified and regular speakers with the L30. I hope now I have been clear. Cheers

Veri

Major Contributor
No pre out but rca and balanced jack pass through am i right?
RCA + balanced TRS pass-through, so you will need some kind of cable that works over balanced TRS. But yes, correct! Between L30/A50s/A90/A30 Pro, only the last one has pass-throughs. So if you need PASS this is the one to get.

raif71

Major Contributor
RCA + balanced TRS pass-through, so you will need some kind of cable that works over balanced TRS. But yes, correct! Between L30/A50s/A90/A30 Pro, only the last one has pass-throughs. So if you need PASS this is the one to get.
If A50 is still available, this is pass through as well.

Went up in price on Shenzhenaudio as well and it's not just USD, €114 => €122, £103 => £111 this is a price increase.

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
Another report of L30 frying headphones: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/knnurb
How worried should I be about my L30?
If you are using it now, I would say mostly no. Electronic fails in short periods of time, then the ones don fail will work in a long time. There will always be sign of something not right when it starts to fail. After gathering some data the tpa6120a2 does fail in a small percentage. But these don't exhibit smokes but a fail and the amp goes into protection. There shouldn't be smokes. There was one case that the failed capacitor blew off the opa1612. But other than that solid. Was that a dead on arrival case? Maybe the transformer is broken or something. But even then it shouldn't fail like that. Perhaps the shipping broke the transformer? We do test every single transformer to comply certain output voltage without and with load as well as the the L30 itself. There were cases where the DC offset is small that the amp doesn't go into protection. But these cases are mild as well may experienced as similar to scratchy pot. This has been improved in newer machines. But if yours has been working alright, it should last.

Last edited:
If you are using it now, I would say mostly no. Electronic fails in short periods of time, then the ones don fail will work in a long time. There will always be sign of something not right when it starts to fail. After gathering some data the tpa6120a2 does fail in a small percentage. But these don't exhibit smokes but a fail and the amp goes into protection. There shouldn't be smokes. There was one case that the failed capacitor blew off the opa1612. But other than that solid. Was that a dead on arrival case? Maybe the transformer is broken or something. But even then it shouldn't fail like that. Perhaps the shipping broke the transformer? We do test every single transformer to comply certain output voltage without and with load as well as the the L30 itself. There were cases where the DC offset is small that the amp doesn't go into protection. But these cases are mild as well may experienced as similar to scratchy pot. This has been improved in newer machines. But if yours has been working alright, it should last.
Hi! I'm the guy whose L30 committed suicide, I registered just to give some informations that could be useful. My unit was bought on November 10 and I've been using it since that day. It's an EU power brick unit if that may help. It showed no signs of malfunction, it just worked fine for nearly two months before breaking. It did not smell, the case was never hot to the touch. Hope it helps!

Veri

Major Contributor
Hi! I'm the guy whose L30 committed suicide, I registered just to give some informations that could be useful. My unit was bought on November 10 and I've been using it since that day. It's an EU power brick unit if that may help. It showed no signs of malfunction, it just worked fine for nearly two months before breaking. It did not smell, the case was never hot to the touch. Hope it helps!
Thanks for reporting in. Maybe Topping would be interested in you shipping the L30 to them, for investigation..?

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
Have you experienced ESD(electro static discharge)? It's winter time the chance of that happening is getting higher this is the newest information I got. There's a chance this could be the reason. And yeah if you are shipping it back that would be helpful. Contact topping customer service later(on holiday currently til Jan 4th).

Top Bottom