• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I just ordered the E30+L30 combo and I have some questions regarding volume controls.
You can control the volume in the DAC, the Headphone amp and you have 3 different gain settings.
I'm using 60 ohm dynamic driver Headphones and i wonder how i should control the volume for the best possible audio quality?
Preferably, mid gain(which is unity gain) on L30, -6dB to 0dB(for your preference of digital headroom) in the DAC then use the pot on L30 to taste.

3125b

Major Contributor
And Windows at 100%

bahamot

Try low gain on L30 first, if it is too loud then try to adjust the volume on E30. Maybe -6 or -9dBi.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love that “big volume knob” is one of the tags for the thread :)

nyj585

Did the channel imbalance on these get fixed or is it still an issue? Has there been another measurement with the production model?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 The first listening on Head-Fi praise the L30 for its great "cohesion." How did you accomplish this? Did you sprinkle specs of rhodium into the thermal paste or glue? Perhaps you doped the solder with silver? What is the secret?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 The first listening on Head-Fi praise the L30 for its great "cohesion." How did you accomplish this? Did you sprinkle specs of rhodium into the thermal paste or glue? Perhaps you doped the solder with silver? What is the secret?

Their discussion of the L30 impressions is painful to read over there on Head-Fi. Such as wondering how the E30/L30 will compare with Modius/SP200 because XLR is "a different animal." :facepalm:

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If I'm being charitable (as I hope I am), at least the L30 is getting a positive response on Head-Fi. I rather enjoy reading the wonderfully creative language that people use about audio products. Obviously I don't know what they mean.

I can wax lyrical about the album that I listened to last night through my phone-D50s-Atom-HD600 set up, but my superlatives will be about the recording, the songcraft, the performance etc. The best I can say about my audio set up is that it didn't get in the way of my enjoyment!

mslim

@JohnYang1997

How important is the damping factor in headphone amp? What is it on the L30? How to make use of this in matching headphones?

Thanks

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997

How important is the damping factor in headphone amp? What is it on the L30? How to make use of this in matching headphones?

Thanks
Damping factor is important but won't get better once it's good enough just like any other performance metrics.
L30 has measured impedance of 0.06Ohm(including cable and connector). Theoretically, the output impedance is less than 0.0001Ohm.
So it essentially pairs with all headphones. Of course except for electrostatic, low impedance ribbon or something like that.

Last edited:
Quick question. Is the D10s usable as USB-DAC while using the motherboards onboard amp thus not connecting the D10s to anything else? Just wondering since the L30 didn´t arrive yet...

3125b

Major Contributor
I don't know if Topping would want to associate with Klipsch though :)

Yuno

Not a fan of the L30 red volume knob ...... An amber/copper colored knob (think Klispch) would have matched the E30 display much better IMO.
This is really a matter of preference. I like black+red combination myself, what I don't like is the overall gloss of those devices. But at the same time I think it looks great taking price into consideration.

tglodjo

I like the red and black of the L30, but I do wish it was possible to change the E30 display color to match.

Top Bottom