• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WoodyLuvr

Topping L30 Update Pic kindly provided by the headAMP's designer @JohnYang1997
IMG_20200607_153939__01.jpg

*** @WolfX-700 Preliminary Measurements HERE! ***
*** @WolfX-700 Full Measurements & Review --- HERE ***

Last edited:
OP
WoodyLuvr

WoodyLuvr

All Recent News & Relevant Updates regarding the soon-to-be released Topping L30 HeadAMP
(From Most Recent to Oldest)

----
JULY 3, 2020

Already in production.
----
JUNE 30, 2020

I recommend waiting for the L30 and possibly upgrade the dac the same time for an actual step up. L30 will be very cheap so it will be a save comparing to A90.
Topping has been around over 10 years now. You can probably call your original Objective 2 very old so I think that fits right.
----
JUNE 19, 2020

"... ...Similar to Atom, external transformer based AC power supply is used. This eliminates SMPS's leakage current, traditional transformer magnetic interference, also the earth connection. Hence its unbalanced connection be more robust to interfacing to other devices. Less than 100nV(70nV typical) of mains noise is what you will get.
----
JUNE 10, 2020

0.0001ohm theoretical 0.06ohm measured
This is too good to be true... what about the output impedance?
inb4 10 ohms :(
Knob is made from aluminum. And the selectable function is specifically suggested in this forum by a few fellas here. 3 gain levels is my personal obsession/persistence.
----
JUNE 8, 2020

That's without load.
----
JUNE 6-7, 2020

External transformer AC. Any unauthorized supply is prohibited. Change at your own risk.
Will it be AC or DC supply? If DC, then perhaps there is scope to improve with even lower noise etc.
(Probably not required though given the baseline performance!!)
I can confirm that it is less than 0.4uv-Less than Apx555B's NoiseFloor
Noise is only 0.25uV.
...the unit is really close to the final unit. Only a couple of cosmetic detail differences(not overall appearance or design) and that's it. Same power supply will be used, same board except for the LED for indication will be used, same power outputs, same performance.
As Wolf has said it, 33Ohm(32ohm) power is 2.2W(2.3W) both channel driven. It goes to 2.4W with single channel driven. 16ohm power is 2.8W both channel driven and 3.9W single channel driven. Ok I let it out. (All power numbers are with distortion less than 0.001%). More to come.
This is a prototype, but the completion is very good.

I did not get the authorization to publish detailed results.

But let it go;) 32R 750mw:

View attachment 67601
*** @WolfX-700 Preliminary Measurements HERE! ***
----
JUNE 5, 2020

L30 will have the actual top notch performance. I would expect a lot of people upgrade there existing amp to L30 paring with their existing dac. It's just so happens that the L30 and E30 have a match in the size and price range so it's decided that we can make it a better match than they were. You have a perfect amp that can pair with any dac you want. I don't want it to be locked in in one box.
In terms of internal supply. It requires larger chassis hence more cost. It can be a product but way over the price range that you are looking at. The stack is much much more than an upgrade of dx3pro.
----
MAY 28, 2020

A50s went through a redesign because ad8397 was not reliable enough. L30 will come earlier than a50s now.
----
MAY 27, 2020

We are sending one preproduction unit to Wolf shortly (today or tomorrow).
The look has been completely changed.
----
MAY 25, 2020

He already said the goal is A90 single ended performance. So that's what they're going for. There is no production unit yet so we'll have to wait and see how good it will be :) It can't be 100% the same thing though, since it will be a sized down design in a smaller case. But very similar.
@JohnYang1997 Will L30 be 100% the same as unbalanced A90 (looks aside), or will there be other lackings as well?
...The surface area of the chassis is good enough. In smaller sized L30, some sorts ventilation is implemented and reduced the temperature a few degrees just to make it more comfortable to touch.
No A50. If any it will be A50s. And L30 should come before that.
----
MAY 24, 2020

Yes and switchable in the front. (as supposed to be switched by plug/unplug of the headphone plug)
Will L30 have RCA pre-outs?
----
MAY 23, 2020

...L30 is essentially the single ended part of A90. Only big difference is the external linear supply for best single ended noise and compatibility with other single ended devices. Eliminated the chance of ground loop.
RCA in, 6.35mm out, under 100nV power supply noise. Essentially the best of single ended.
Will that just be rca in, 1/4 inch out John? The simplest of simples?
----
MAY 19, 2020

L30 will be matching amp for E30. Single-ended version of topping A90...
Everything subject to change of course since it is still in development. Topping A90 first orders shipping May 25th. L30 should be next upcoming Topping amp (also upcoming is A50s, improved version).
A90 : SE/balanced in, SE/balanced out, beats THX performance
A50s: SE in, SE/balanced out, improved specs from A50
L30 : SE in, SE out at A90 performance
----
MAY 12, 2020

No 1656 in L30 A50s or A90.
So no opa1656 in A90 right? :)
---
MAY 9, 2020

L30 will be matching amp for E30. E30 is not outdated!
---
MAY 6, 2020

I can see that this is important for some people. And yes it will be considered in the future. Like l30 the switch between headphone out and preamo is changed from plug and unplug the headphone to a simple toggle switch.
---
MAY 2, 2020

Soon. I would say June. MSRP 100-150.
Are there any plans on release date and MSRP? Or way too early?
---
MAY 1, 2020

The preamp function for L30 is changed due to feedback. The switching of preamp/headphone is a switch on the front panel rather having to unplug the headphones.
L30 has selective preamp and headphones out. Extremely low noise and distortion. 0.00002% THD+N. -9 0 9 dB gain settings. 2W+ clean power for 16 and 32ohm. And it will look absolutely gorgeous. :D Preproductions will goes to reviewers this month.
---
APRIL 23, 2020

Topping L30 and A50s that's coming soon have DC protection. Even though you don't want to hear it, DC protection is not very necessary. It's something that almost never happen if you don't mess with the internals like swapping opamps etc.
---
APRIL 19, 2020

I say wait for L30. On the pop sound. You will not hear any pop sound when paired with headphones. Element also uses AKM based dac chip which also gives pop sound when switching sampling rate. It's unavoidable when direct driving power amp except for ess based dac that handles sampling rate differently via ASRC.
---
APRIL 11, 2020

...Personally I prefer the look of E30 (hence L30) over A50s/D50s. Some will like the solid heavy chassis better...
Actually No. I don't understand the meaning of plastique. If that means plastic then no. If it means cheaper then that's still no but ummm.
L30 will have higher single ended power than A50s. L30 and E30 are both in metal chassis. If you don't want balanced out and don't have D50s then L30+E30 would be a great option.
---
APRIL 9, 2020

I haven't measured L30 in a bit. iirc 32ohm is around 3W.
Simply put:
L30 = SE in SE out... ...Performance are basically the same(better than AP can measure)
---
APRIL 6, 2020

Both A50s and L30 will have regular potentiometer but good performing ones. If you don't need Bluetooth, E30 + L30 stack is your best bet.
---
MARCH 29, 2020

A50s pairs with D50s with RCA input, 6.35mm and 4.4mm true differential balanced output. The performance is also extremely good. L30 has more power in 6.35mm out, A50s' 4.4mm output has even more power but less than A90.
A new headphone amp that looks similar to E30, with RCA input, 6.35mm output and extremely good performance.
L30 ? What is this one? Didnt even hear of it
L30 A50s A90 are all done in design. A50s would probably come out a little bit earlier than L30.
---
MARCH 27, 2020

I'm the designer of L30. Some of the features are tweaked according to friends here. It's still before the production run so can be a little early. I'm probably the only source of L30 at the moment.
There's a new headphone amp model L30 that's coming soon which pairs with E30 very well.
---
MARCH 24, 2020

...L30 is RCA input and 6.35mm output... ...L30 is essentially the unbalanced and smaller version of A90... ...L30 has same preamp function as Atom. All have extremely low noise and extremely good 50mV SNR performance
L30 will destroy Atom in performance and have proper protection circuit. Oh and a beautiful enclosure and front panel.
---
MARCH 9, 2020

There will be L30 (Atom/geshelli killer)...

Last edited:
OP
WoodyLuvr

WoodyLuvr

I certainly hope not... :( edit: meaning later in the year

1589346100468.png

Last edited:
OP
WoodyLuvr

WoodyLuvr

;)True, and I hope it is June/July :cool: but my concern is that the "second half of the year" has five more long months in it :oops:! LOL

Last edited:

Illtrick

@WoodyLuvr excellent work on the thread. Thank you!

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Considering it coming after A90. Late June or July isn't a bad guess.
Any estimate for the reveal of final build and maybe Amir measurements ?
For release imo take your time and make it perfect without flaws, issues. Having problems in first batch and fixing later sucks. People buying these from China and waiting 1 month to arrive + dealing with customs taxes.

alph

Damn, I was hoping for a b i g k n o b like the Element haha. This stack would be an instabuy then

odyo

Topping should prioritize this amp imo. There is no good amp like this one in the market other than US only Schiit or Atom. L30 is needed.

OP
WoodyLuvr

WoodyLuvr

Topping should prioritize this amp imo. There is no good amp like this one in the market other than US only Schiit or Atom. L30 is needed.
Sadly, I believe we must await the A50s to debut before the L30 will bless us with it's arrival. Incorrect, L30 will debut first before A50s!!!

Last edited:

Illtrick

Sadly, I believe we must await the A50s to debut before the L30 will bless us with it's arrival.
Curious if this is market strategy (a bit of discriminatory pricing mixed with consumer hype) or product engineering strategy (the A90 flagship product provides makes the R&D waves that the derivative products draft off of). In any case it’s cool to see patterns emerge as a company gain its stride.

odyo

Sadly, I believe we must await the A50s to debut before the L30 will bless us with it's arrival.
I think including shipping time we will get the L30 in august (best case scenario imo)

Top Bottom