• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 256 70.7%

• Total voters

RangerAudio

Anyone know how this performs as a bluetooth Dac? I only see the wired performance measured.

**113 DB. Damn, that's stellar. I have the BTR 7 at at 92.8 and Quidelix at 83.3. Anything else come close or LDAC?

Last edited:

GeorgeWalk

Anyone know how this performs as a bluetooth Dac? I only see the wired performance measured.
From what can see, the DAC in this unit is excellent. The performance of Bluetooth is limited by the Bluetooth CODECs which are typically mediocre (this is true for any Bluetooth device, not G5 specifically.)

RangerAudio

From what can see, the DAC in this unit is excellent. The performance of Bluetooth is limited by the Bluetooth CODECs which are typically mediocre (this is true for any Bluetooth device, not G5 specifically.)
Any other bluetooth portable that performs like this over LDAC? Seems like a unicorn.

Sk1ppy

I just got my G5, and while it sounds great there is a noticeable channel imbalance at lower volume that is quite distracting. Is this simply an unavoidable result of using an analog volume pot, or is my unit defective? Has anyone had this issue with the g5 specifically?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is this simply an unavoidable result of using an analog volume pot
It is. Some pots will be better than others, but no pot is perfect.

Here are channel imbalance measurements of Amir's and Wolf's Topping G5:
Topping G5 Portable DAC and Headphone Amplifier Amp Power 32 ohm channel balance Measurements.png 1660640140-Volume.jpg
The horizontal-ish line shows the imbalance, as the volume is slowly turned from Max to Min.

or is my unit defective?
Channel imbalance at low volume isn't usually considered a defect, unless it exceeds manufacturer-started tolerances. I don't think Topping has those.

Have you tried setting your G5 to Low gain?

Last edited:

RangerAudio

wondering how topping5 works with headphone hd820, have anyone tried this?
I got mine last night and it works well with All my devices. I can’t see there being an issue with it. Not very scientific. But it a solid device that sounds fantastic.

RangerAudio

what headphone have you tried?
Focal Celestree, Moondrop B2. Nothing crazy. But I'm not having volume issues. I literally got it late last night. I think the complaints didn't realize it has 3 gain settings. I'll test my Meze and LCD-XC tonight. But I'm confident in the power from my first impression.
The sound is insane. It sounds clean and perfect as good as my e70 topping wired. Much better than any other Bluetooth device I've ever used Quidelix, ifi go blue, ifi gryphon, fiio btr 7. I like it a great deal, it does suck to not have eq on the iPhone but that is the only downfall. It nice and clean sound for my bedroom setup.

Egoquaero

Hi dears!
It all started with me looking for just a budget option to revive a set of old speakers. After some research I ended up buying the Topping DX3 pro plus, since it's great for driving headphones too. But then I realized that the newer Topping G5 outperforms the DX3 pro in every aspect (apart from raw power) and it's even portable! So a few questions:
1) I own a set of Sennheiser HD800. I equalize them with Sonarworks (close to harman target curve). Can the G5 drive them effortlessly?
2) I've been eyeing on Dan Clark Audio Stealth (and some other TOTL too) and I would like the Topping G5 to be futureproof if I buy it. Does the G5 provide enough energy to drive effortlessly something more demanding like the Stealth too?
3) Where is the HD800 positioned in this graph? What would be the mv required for 94 dBSPL?
1678709946113.png

Cheers guys!

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1) I own a set of Sennheiser HD800. I equalize them with Sonarworks (close to harman target curve). Can the G5 drive them effortlessly?
Yes
2) I've been eyeing on Dan Clark Audio Stealth (and some other TOTL too) and I would like the Topping G5 to be futureproof if I buy it. Does the G5 provide enough energy to drive effortlessly something more demanding like the Stealth too?
Yes if you're not going for crazy high volume levels.
3) Where is the HD800 positioned in this graph? What would be the mv required for 94 dBSPL?
The HD800S required 260mv for 94dBSPL.

Egoquaero

God I really should stop digging. While reading about the G5, I came across the L30 II - E30 II combo which apparently seems to be the end game. State of the art DAC and all the power to drive anything. Did I read correctly? This combo would be futureproof right? Now, I can't decide anymore :D On one hand the G5 is portable and has bluetooth, on the other hand the L30 ii - E30 II just gives me the best sound and greatest power to drive any headphone I might buy in the near future.
1) Did I understand correctly?
2) The fact that the L30 II - E30 II combo is made of two devices influences sound quality? I mean does this add noise or distortion? (since there's an additional cable between them..)

Elitzur–Vaidman

God I really should stop digging. While reading about the G5, I came across the L30 II - E30 II combo which apparently seems to be the end game. State of the art DAC and all the power to drive anything. Did I read correctly? This combo would be futureproof right? Now, I can't decide anymore :D On one hand the G5 is portable and has bluetooth, on the other hand the L30 ii - E30 II just gives me the best sound and greatest power to drive any headphone I might buy in the near future.
1) Did I understand correctly?
2) The fact that the L30 II - E30 II combo is made of two devices influences sound quality? I mean does this add noise or distortion? (since there's an additional cable between them..)
1) L30+E30 should be endgame quality for all but a handful of incredibly difficult to drive headphones.
2) Separates are slightly superior, but the G5 is portable.

Egoquaero

Thanks again.
1) As I said earlier, I would use the G5 mainly as a desktop dac amp, are there any noticeable shortcomings to this? I'm a bit afraid for the battery health since the G5 will be plugged to sockets most of the time. I owned the Chord Hugo 2 which had a sort of battery protection smart mode (after 24 hours of being plugged in, the battery is neither charged or discharged). I don’t know if the G5’s got a similar feature or not
1678820215537.png

2) Just realized now that there's no remote control with the G5? Is there a way to integrate it by any chance?

Thanks again.
1) As I said earlier, I would use the G5 mainly as a desktop dac amp, are there any noticeable shortcomings to this? I'm a bit afraid for the battery health since the G5 will be plugged to sockets most of the time. I owned the Chord Hugo 2 which had a sort of battery protection smart mode (after 24 hours of being plugged in, the battery is neither charged or discharged). I don’t know if the G5’s got a similar feature or not
View attachment 271695
2) Just realized now that there's no remote control with the G5? Is there a way to integrate it by any chance?

I think a portable device do not need a remote since you can do all operation on the device which is linked to g5 though cable or bluetooth.
But I think hugo2 is more powerful than G5, do you really need another portable device?

Elitzur–Vaidman

1) As I said earlier, I would use the G5 mainly as a desktop dac amp, are there any noticeable shortcomings to this? I'm a bit afraid for the battery health since the G5 will be plugged to sockets most of the time.
Well the lack of a remote is one. I wouldn't be concerned for the battery if you're keeping it plugged in 24/7. It won't be great for the long-term battery life, but that shouldn't matter if it's plugged in.
Not that I know of. The volume knob should be sufficient if you're using the G5 via bluetooth.
Actually, you could just get a PC remote and control your volume that way if you really need a remote.

ehabheikal

Portability means you can enjoy your cans everywhere, to me this trumps a few sinad points.

Last edited:
Top Bottom