• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 259 71.0%

• Total voters

ehabheikal

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping G5 portable, battery operated DAC, headphone amplifier with bluetooth. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $299.
View attachment 224471
The G5 comes in a super stout metal enclosure. It is on the heavy side for a portable product (2 to 4 times heavier than a typical mobile phone). There are dual headphone output jacks but they both have same power. There is aux in if you want to just use its headphone amp. I tested it as a combination DAC+Amp.

The G5 is very easy to use courtesy of simple to set sliding switches:
View attachment 224472

Topping G5 Measurements
I treated the unit as a DAC by setting the gain to medium and maximum volume. This is our usual dashboard:
View attachment 224473

This is excellent performance for a desktop DAC. For a portable one, it is state of the art.
View attachment 224474
View attachment 224475

And that is at 2.1 volt output. Performance will likely improve at higher output level.

Noise performance is up there as well:
View attachment 224476
View attachment 224477

This makes the G5 very suitable to drive very sensitive IEMs.

IMD distortion is excellent:
View attachment 224478
Linearity is nailed:

View attachment 224479

Multitone is superb:
View attachment 224480

Jitter is near perfect:
View attachment 224481

The default filter is set to one that starts to attenuate early:
View attachment 224482

It has great suppression but you do lose a bit of audio spectrum:
View attachment 224483

I have email into Topping to see if this is intentional or specific to my sample. Fortunately there is little audible impact as most of us don't hear that high up. Getting older has some benefits! :D

The strong filter makes great showing in THD+N vs frequency:
View attachment 224484

This kind of performance would make a lot of desktop DACs blush with embarrassment.

Switching to headphone amp performance (which using DAC as input), we get plenty of power for a portable product:
View attachment 224485
View attachment 224486

Notice how it easily beats its desktop older brother, the DX3 Pro in every category: noise, distortion and output power.

Output impedance is essentially zero:
View attachment 224488

There is some variability in channels as volume is adjusted. But it remains below my 0.5 dB threshold until max attenuation:
View attachment 224487

Topping G5 Listening Tests
I started with my hard to drive, low impedance Dan Clark Stealth headphone. I was pleased that I could get pretty high volumes out of it using high gain. For loud listening, I had to go to 3:00 pm on the volume control. There was a bit more volume to be had if you turned it to max. There, I only heard distortion when the sub-bass notes arrived. Otherwise, the sound was super clean, detailed and enjoyable.

I then switched to high impedance Sennheiser HD650. The G5 drove these with ease, allowing every bit of their performance to shine through. Dynamic range was fantastic with bass notes almost causing resonances in my ear lobes at highest volume. Low level detail was superb as was overall fidelity.

With either headphone, I just wanted to sit back and just listen to my music!

Conclusions
We expect perfection from Topping and company delivers even in this constrained category of battery operated product. No excuses are made for that with a DAC that provides state of the art desktop performance. The headphone amplifier is quite powerful although desktop products do edge it out. This only impacts the least sensitive headphones though. For vast majority of headphones out there, the G5 drives them as hard as you need with any distortion being the headphone, not the amp.

The only "hitch" is the slower roll off in the DAC filter. I almost knocked the overall rating lower but once I listened to the G5, I could not go there. Performance is too good to give it any score other than top of the line. You get to disagree otherwise by voting in the poll.

The other bit is the size and weight of the unit. This is no small device to tie up to your cell phone even though Topping provides the usual rubber band and cabling to do so.

I am happy to put the Topping G5 on my recommended list.
----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
How is the size of this compared to topping nx4? And performance wise?

staticV3

Master Contributor
How is the size of this compared to topping nx4?
The G5 (red) is longer and a bit thicker. Width is about the same: https://comparesizes.com/comparison/G5-vs-NX4-DSD/1675618502043
Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 18.36.45.png

And performance wise?
The G5 has a lot more power and a bit less noise. Distortion is lower too, but that is unlikely to be audible.
On the other hand, the NX4 has a built-in bass boost.

Last edited:

arrow0309

I have owned the NX4, you get SINAD in high gain closer to max volume. I also didn't use the bass boost, just wanted the sound cleaner.
The G5 is definitely an improvement given the higher power (never used the highest gain yet) also you have Bluetooth and an extra 4.4mm balanced port even without a proper balanced circuit, just the NFCA (SE) but it's handy with headphones already equipped with a 4.4mm custom cable like my EdXS.
The sound from my Apple Music hi res lossless is just fine. Also the LG Oled E8 in Bluetooth gives me a nice soundstage watching movies at night (listening to my AKG K712 Pro).

Bobski

Hi everyone, I bought G5 based on Amir's review and am very happy with it. I have a 2 newbie questions:

1. I am using G5 with Thieaudio Monarch MKII IEM. This IEM comes with a balanced 4.4mm plug. I know G5 is not balanced output, but I prefer to use the 4.4mm plug so that I cannot accidentally plug the IEMs into the 3.5mm "In" plug and damage my eardrums with line level audio. My question is: when I have the Monarch IEMs plugged into the 4.4 socket, can I also plug in another set of IEMs into the 3.5mm out socket at the same time so that my friend can listen to the music with me, or will this damage G5 or the IEMs?

2. I am using Samsung S72 with Android 12 and UAPP player and Tidal subscription. I know that G5 does not do MQA. I don't care about that. I cannot seem to get the Android Tidal app to be able to control the G5 in exclusive mode. But UAPP can. I guess this is because Tidal Android app is no longer supporting USB DAC's which are not MQA compatible. Is that right?

Thanks
Did you manage to get a definitive answer to your second question?

I was just about to take the plunge on the G5, but being a Tidal HiFi user (not Masters and no interest in MQA) I'm a bit concerned that I won't now get the full benefit without the bit-perfect output.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I was just about to take the plunge on the G5, but being a Tidal HiFi user (not Masters and no interest in MQA)
According to Goldensound's investigation, if an MQA version exists for a track, Tidal HiFi still streams that MQA encoded version to end users, just without the MQA file tagging so the user just sees a normal FLAC.

Bobski

According to Goldensound's investigation, if an MQA version exists for a track, Tidal HiFi still streams that MQA encoded version to end users, just without the MQA file tagging so the user just sees a normal FLAC.
Apologies, newbie here. I'm refering more to Tidal detecting the DAC and passing the raw data to that to decode even if it is just HiFi. I've seen elsewhere that Tidal will only detect the DAC and use it fully if it is MQA compatible. Seems a third party app like UAPP is needed to pass the best quality, even on Tidal HiFi, if your DAC is non-MQA, like the G5.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Apologies, newbie here. I'm refering more to Tidal detecting the DAC and passing the raw data to that to decode even if it is just HiFi. I've seen elsewhere that Tidal will only detect the DAC and use it fully if it is MQA compatible. Seems a third party app like UAPP is needed to pass the best quality, even on Tidal HiFi, if your DAC is non-MQA, like the G5.
Yes, I understood that. I just wanted to tell you that even if MQA doesn't interest you and accordingly you chose Tidal HiFi instead of Master, Tidal will still serve you MQA encoded audio, just without MQA file tagging.
So you get all the disadvantages of lossy MQA encoding, with none of the upsides.

Bobski

Yes, I understood that. I just wanted to tell you that even if MQA doesn't interest you and accordingly you chose Tidal HiFi instead of Master, Tidal will still serve you MQA encoded audio, just without MQA file tagging.
So you get all the disadvantages of lossy MQA encoding, with none of the upsides.
Oh no! That's even worse! Sounds like lose lose then.

Unfortunately, my only options for streaming where I am are Spotify or Tidal. No Qobuz or Deezer. Stumped.

ehabheikal

Oh no! That's even worse! Sounds like lose lose then.

Unfortunately, my only options for streaming where I am are Spotify or Tidal. No Qobuz or Deezer. Stumped.
qobuz can be had by using a vpn for the initial subscription then everything else does not need a vpn anymore. Try Qobuz turkey. I used this trick and still do but i do not remember if it was turkey or not but most probably is.

Bobski

qobuz can be had by using a vpn for the initial subscription then everything else does not need a vpn anymore. Try Qobuz turkey. I used this trick and still do but i do not remember if it was turkey or not but most probably is.
Great, thanks! I'll try that.

GLTRV

I've been using my G5 with my DCA x Drop Aeon closed at work connected to my phone by USB and I really enjoy this setup. Ultimate office setup IMO.

Jungstar

can this be used as a desktop DAC? And what should the gain be set to..... or is there a "line out"

Music1969

Major Contributor
Who will be the first to have Topping G5 portable performance, with 10-band parametric EQ.

And yes I know Quedelix and Fiio have products with PEQ but I emphasize the performance of G5 - powah, noise and distortion performance.

GLTRV

can this be used as a desktop DAC? And what should the gain be set to..... or is there a "line out"
There doesn't seem to be a line out, only line in. HP output could be used I guess, but for an inexpensive desktop DAC I'd get something like an SMSL DO100, C200 or D-6 that have the benefit of balanced output, or a cheaper single ended model.

TheAgaveFairy

I have a 2014 Audio-GD NFB.28 - thanks to this forum and having taken some more EE classes since then I'm wondering if this $300 unit would be an "upgrade". Can anybody here talk about how it does with Audeze LCD-2.2Fs (first gen)? At least the AGD had decent power but somebody on reddit suggested the G5 might be hitting a current limit with these cans. Thanks! Any other commentary on the "upgrade" appreciated.

Top Bottom