• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 256 70.7%

• Total voters

Fernando

Forum Donor
That front input IN, if it supported a micro, it would be a great advance for gaming.
Reminds me a lot of at Sound BlasterX G6.

tripod70

Hello, I'm looking for the lightning to usb c cable on the topping pictures, someone has idea of the product ?

Attachments

• 6320052.jpg
    6320052.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 6320052x.jpg
    6320052x.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 70

kerravon

Hi everyone, I bought G5 based on Amir's review and am very happy with it. I have a 2 newbie questions:

1. I am using G5 with Thieaudio Monarch MKII IEM. This IEM comes with a balanced 4.4mm plug. I know G5 is not balanced output, but I prefer to use the 4.4mm plug so that I cannot accidentally plug the IEMs into the 3.5mm "In" plug and damage my eardrums with line level audio. My question is: when I have the Monarch IEMs plugged into the 4.4 socket, can I also plug in another set of IEMs into the 3.5mm out socket at the same time so that my friend can listen to the music with me, or will this damage G5 or the IEMs?

2. I am using Samsung S72 with Android 12 and UAPP player and Tidal subscription. I know that G5 does not do MQA. I don't care about that. I cannot seem to get the Android Tidal app to be able to control the G5 in exclusive mode. But UAPP can. I guess this is because Tidal Android app is no longer supporting USB DAC's which are not MQA compatible. Is that right?

Thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi everyone, I bought G5 based on Amir's review and am very happy with it. I have a 2 newbie questions:

1. I am using G5 with Thieaudio Monarch MKII IEM. This IEM comes with a balanced 4.4mm plug. I know G5 is not balanced output, but I prefer to use the 4.4mm plug so that I cannot accidentally plug the IEMs into the 3.5mm "In" plug and damage my eardrums with line level audio. My question is: when I have the Monarch IEMs plugged into the 4.4 socket, can I also plug in another set of IEMs into the 3.5mm out socket at the same time so that my friend can listen to the music with me, or will this damage G5 or the IEMs?
You can do that but since you'll probably be using different IEMs the effective volume will NOT be the exact same. So beware one of you both is not blasting it overly loud... In any case it might not be the best experience. But you can try, sure.

plumpudding2

Hi, I recently bought the Topping G5, partially based on Amir's review. I love the form factor and the clean sound, and I'd rather have a filter that rolls of early than a filter that rolls of too late.

However, I'd like to mention one thing that quite disappointed me: the Topping G5 is quite susceptible to electrical interference!
My current usage scenario I strap my phone to the G5 using the provided bands, and listen to my 7hz Timeless iems on low gain using the stock cable and stock usb-c cable. Every time I receive a text message I hear "beep beepbeepbeep beepbeepbeep" through my iems. Annoying but it only happens infrequently.
I also noticed weird electrical noises during a quiet part of a song, which were constant and quite annoying and continued when I paused the music.
Suspecting a faulty usb implementation, I disconnected the usb cable but the noise persisted!

Anyone else has this problem or do I have a faulty unit on my hands?
And if it is a design flaw, maybe Amir should devise some RFI/EMI test for future products. 120db Sinad is great but if you only get it in a vacuum the number is completely meaningless.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
I've been using my G5 for about 2 days and it seems to do what it says on the tin. I only have a Truthear Zero and Hexa. I did a comparison between the two with the G5 and there's not much in it. I must say I was a bit miffed after learning of Truthear's release of their SHIO DAC at a cost of $70! (with, interestingly a new Hola IEM at $18!).

For me the G5 might prove prohibitive to use as a portable DAC/AMP due to its weight. Where does this come from since these dongle type DACS must weigh a fraction.

I find the switches a bit tiny, but small niggle. Overall, very pleased with the performance.

Last edited:

AustreV

If Topping G5 amp section as good as HO200, no thanks. For its price its okayish lvl or for portable only, but its very medicore compared to good old power amps.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@AustreV what part of the G5's analog performance makes it "very medicore compared to good old power amps"?

AustreV

@AustreV what part of the G5's analog performance makes it "very medicore compared to good old power amps"?
Its better ask who made it, cause it will be not an easy task to search where they messed up. Really. It easier for me to take and listen both. If result will be obvious (difference in quality) I dont need even to look at measurments, at least there is ton of them and only becouse of 1 thing not even on the list it could make the whole "result" not very great. Need time to compare 1 by 1 by each aspect, but not sure if it will be enough, casue its also difficult if you compare all specs to power amp with preamp and headphone selector. Not easy for average user at all. I wish to send pc2002 to @amirm , but it will cost some summ. 22kg+, if he only wish to pay for postage after and review that P.A., no problem.

SimoF

If Topping G5 amp section as good as HO200, no thanks. For its price its okayish lvl or for portable only, but its very medicore compared to good old power amps.
I think sound-wise it is ok for its price point. Sounds better than dongles but it's very far from desktop class devices. A good in-between priced accordingly imo

hayche

I have just received this unit as I was hoping to get the best out of my se846, what a let down, my oppo reno 2 Jack sounds much better

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes, basically the topping has stripped away the bass, drums no longer slam ike they are supposed too.
Hmm. There are two reasons that I could think of.

If your Se846 cable has an in-line microphone and remote, then that can seriously distort the sound if your Amp uses a regular stereo jack instead of a headset jack. Complete lack of bass is what usually happens in this case.
If you have one, please try to use a simple cable without microphone/remote built in and see if the sound is better though the G5.

If your Oppo Reno 2 has high output impedance, then that will result in boosted bass and treble with the Se846, compared to a good Amp with low output impedance (like the G5)

Newbie question here: does the G5 have an option for line out? Or is it simply a matter of maxing the volume and connecting it through the outputs to my amp of choice?

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Newbie question here: does the G5 have an option for line out? Or is it simply a matter of maxing the volume and connecting it through the outputs to my amp of choice?
StaticV3 is the device spec. guru here and he's provided a link to answer your query. Since you asked, it does have a line out/in 3.5 mm socket, but I would recommend you refer to link to fully understand capability and see if it aligns with your functional needs.

Docmoggy

Forum Donor
Anybody who has a G5 and is lugging around strapped to their IPhone with the inevitable electromagnetic inductance interference, often at the most inappropriate of times; it would seem a good doubled over piece of aluminium foil inserted in between phone and DAC offers quite a good " Faraday cage type" preventative solution. Comes in handy as a wrapper if you can't finish your hot snack (not tested)!

Last edited:
Top Bottom