• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 256 70.7%

• Total voters

PGAMiami

I had a failure of the USB connectors on my G5, the DAC connection started to randomly disconnect and the charger connection broke into the G5. Fortunately I had purchased the unit from Headphones.com. They promptly send me a replacement and a return label, and within 48 hr I was back up an running with a new unit. They said this was their first failure. The new one sounds as great as the one that failed.

Last edited:

antikryst

can someone confirm if the G5 charges via a high wattage power delivery charger? my main charger is a 65 watt PD charger... just wanted to know if it charges using these kind of chargers.

PGAMiami

It absolutely will if the charger in question supports legacy charging protocols like Apple 2.4A or DCP 1.5A in addition to new standards like Power Delivery.
Every charger is different. The question is impossible to answer with a straight Yes or No.
@antikryst
I haven’t found a charger in my home that doesn’t charge it including some higher wattage ones

antikryst

I haven’t found a charger in my home that doesn’t charge it including some higher wattage ones

thats why im asking. lots of conflicting information. waiting for my local reseller to get stock and i reserved one already.

arrow0309

It absolutely will if the charger in question supports legacy charging protocols like Apple 2.4A or DCP 1.5A in addition to new standards like Power Delivery.
Every charger is different. The question is impossible to answer with a straight Yes or No.
@antikryst
I agree, I'm using my S22 Ultra charger, a 65W GaN USB C Charger 3-Port, PPS Compact Fast Charger and it's working just fine.
It supports USB PD 3.0/2.0, QC 3.0/2.0, PPS, AFC, FCP etc multiple charging protocols.
But it ain't charge fast.

Orfik

I had one of these. It was nice, very clean output and good power but I traded it for a Cayin RU6 which is a lot more enjoyable to listen to as long as you're only using IEMs and low impedance headphones.

Can't go wrong with the Topping, though.

antikryst

ok so i got my G5. i can confirm it works on my 65W GAN PD charger. charges 7 watts on the USB C port (maxes out at 65w) and 7w on the USB A port of the same charger (maxes out at 15 i think).

i cant get it to work on UAPP on my galaxy A33 though. just keeps pausing the song on USB. no issues with my OnePlus 8 pro. any special settings for UAPP on a samsung to make it work?

UPDATE: got it working on my samsung.. had to go to USB tweaks.. check force 1 packet per transfer

Last edited:

antikryst

I had one of these. It was nice, very clean output and good power but I traded it for a Cayin RU6 which is a lot more enjoyable to listen to as long as you're only using IEMs and low impedance headphones.

Can't go wrong with the Topping, though.

i was also curious about that and almost got it. but i just got the topping instead so i have a portable option for full size cans.. i can just use my other dongles for my IEMs.

BorisG

I’ve just got the G5 and am finding it superb with my laptop. I can’t get it to work with my iPhone though (13 pro max) – the phone simply doesn’t recognize it. I thought it was supposed to work without problems, as it doesn’t draw power from the phone?

Has anyone managed to make it work with a recent-generation iPhone? If yes, which cable are you using?

PGAMiami

I’ve just got the G5 and am finding it superb with my laptop. I can’t get it to work with my iPhone though (13 pro max) – the phone simply doesn’t recognize it. I thought it was supposed to work without problems, as it doesn’t draw power from the phone?

Has anyone managed to make it work with a recent-generation iPhone? If yes, which cable are you using?
Have you tried it with a OTG Lightning to USB C cable? This works perfectly for me with both the 12 Pro and 14 Pro. Will not work at all with a regular Lightning to USB cable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q8FJ1FT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Nominon

I've received it on my side.
Updated to latest firmware v1.5.
Tested under Windows with no issue.
With iPad 11 Pro in USB-C two major issue for me:
- It is not detected when moved from Windows to iPad, you need to power down then up to be able to detect it again.
- It will not works with full volume even when volume is to the max on iPadOS side (with Roon, Qobuz, etc...)
And a last one: it will not charge with a power delivery adapter.... so you need to bring one more cable / adapter if you dont have one :(

I really hope that topping will fix the iOS issue...
My NX4DSD has no issue like that.

Edit: The volume level issue seems to be related to USB mode, with BT mode volume level is the same than USB/Windows.
Any clear improvements over the NX4 you have? Thanks

poopy

How about measurements when the G5 is constantly plugged in (I mean not used in battery mode)? Should we expect something worse?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can you connect a WiiM pro to the aux analog input to EQ the device. Or is there another port to connect the WiiM to?
You can connect the Wiim Pro to the G5 directly, only via analog Aux.
To do that, use a 3.5mm to 2x RCA adapter:
sescom_ses_ipsumrca12in_stereo_rca_to_3_5mm_1307683.jpg

bkjernisted

Thanks staticV3. How is the volume on the device when connected to an iphone or samsung s22 ultra?

Top Bottom