• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 257 70.8%

• Total voters

raif71

Major Contributor
Jeeze, I ordered the G5 from Shenzhenaudio just before Amir's review was posted, pretty much the moment it went up for order. 3 days later they sent tracking info, and after a few weeks I decided to ask them why the tracking said it never picked it up.
This is what I got:

Interestingly, everywhere has it listed as In Stock/Available and no notice of the sort?
Crown epidemic? Is this a new covid-19 strain? Ever since the opening pretty much everywhere, I've been behind the covid-19 news.

Nonya

???? If you but it now you get what is reviewed.
How does this compare to e30 2 l30 2 stack?

Last edited:

Nonya

Unsure what this has to do with the G5... however are you seriously suggesting these commercial charlatans are comparable to ASR? If so I will be LMFAO... in fact I am already. :D

Darko will probably rate the G5 highly as it is heavier than others and looks nice. Paul will just say "what's a G5?". Hans will suggest if one keeps their G5 in a glass pyramid, the sound will stay sharp.

JSmith
Funny about those audiophile guys

Nonya

Reading through all tge pages of the comments trying to learn how this device sounds and all i find is comments about iPhone and Apple dongles.

Wtf is wrong with apple people? You overpay for subliminal device with prison-os i mean ios then bombard the comments with dongle nonsense.

Hopefully we can get more reviews on the actual sound of the topping device!

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reading through all tge pages of the comments trying to learn how this device sounds and all i find is comments about iPhone and Apple dongles.

Wtf is wrong with apple people? You overpay for subliminal device with prison-os i mean ios then bombard the comments with dongle nonsense.

It doesn’t have a ‚sound‘ it’s just clean amplification

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BTW, i'm no Apple fanboi... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...conversion-software.37069/page-2#post-1305937

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Corona means crown in Latin.

You don't have to be a Latin speaker to make the association...

1920px-Corona_Extra.svg.png

Phantomuser

Forum Donor
I have the g5 and it sounds fricken superb!
Having the line in is proving to be more useful than I thought too .
The only other headphone amp I have that sounds as good as the G5...maybe?.. possibly? better is my E1DA power dac .But the powerdac needs a tangle of wires and an external battery to even work on a portable device and it's a pain.
On a PC ...well I love the e1da powerdac...as do my pm3 headphones and senn hd580 precisions.
The pm3s really come to life on either the g5 or e1da powerdac.
The Topping G5 and my
Oppo pm3 phones are my ..end game? ..mobile personal sound solution..for now .

Last edited:

Nonya

I have the g5 and it sounds fricken superb!
Having the line in is proving to be more useful than I thought too .
The only other headphone amp I have that sounds as good as the G5...maybe?.. possibly? better is my E1DA power dac .But the powerdac needs a tangle of wires and an external battery to even work on a portable device and it's a pain.
On a PC ...well I love the e1da powerdac...as do my pm3 headphones and senn hd580 precisions.
The pm3s really come to life on either the g5 or e1da powerdac.
The Topping G5 and my
Oppo pm3 phones are my ..end game? ..mobile personal sound solution..for now .
Can you compare it to ifi signature or any daps?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
The G5 works really well with my DT 177X GO (Drop). I listened to it for a couple hours today with zero fatigue. Smooth and detailed, stelar SINAD seems to have paid off… Wow!!

That’s my new office rig, especially convenient when one doesn’t have an assigned spot.

12E0A6A1-36AA-403E-A49D-18FD50CD24F3.jpeg

zeb512

I've received it on my side.
Updated to latest firmware v1.5.
Tested under Windows with no issue.
With iPad 11 Pro in USB-C two major issue for me:
- It is not detected when moved from Windows to iPad, you need to power down then up to be able to detect it again.
- It will not works with full volume even when volume is to the max on iPadOS side (with Roon, Qobuz, etc...)
And a last one: it will not charge with a power delivery adapter.... so you need to bring one more cable / adapter if you dont have one :(

I really hope that topping will fix the iOS issue...
My NX4DSD has no issue like that.

Edit: The volume level issue seems to be related to USB mode, with BT mode volume level is the same than USB/Windows.

Last edited:

DRuszaT

On the terrace or in the arbour in the evening, the G5 is a real little mobile wonder. It can easily cope with HEDDphone and Audeze LCD-XC. I think the battery could last a bit longer, I have 5-6 hours on a single breath.
307288802_819844349055028_194142918433371506_n.jpg

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
The only real flaw this device has is that its charging and headphone ports are on different sides.
I think the IN/OUT could also be improved. It is only labeled as IN and it could be potentially dangerous for your ears and gear if you accidentally plugged your headphones and music was playing without attenuation. It’s in the manual, but not obvious day to day. I’m thinking covering with tape to prevent accidents.

KeiIto

Dear Amir,

I am not sure whether a newbie like me could ask you for such a request, but there is one thing that I am curious.

Now that Topping updated the fiirmware to change the default digital filter, the frequency response should go straight up to 20 KHz even at 44.1 KHz sampling rate. Would it be possible to measure and confirm it? I have several DACs that can switch the filter, but I was not aware that changing the filter could affect frequency response. I am sure that the difference should not be audible with real music and the ears of many people including myself. But because you can measure such details that are beyond the audible range, it would be great if you could show a real example that the filter selection indeed affects the frequency response curve. One can do such a test with any DAC, but because there has been such a harsh debate on this product, it would be nice if you could test it with this device. Unfortunately I live in Germany and cannot easily drop-ship a sample, but if you still have the device or you can borrow it again from Topping, it would be great.

From the thread I leaned that the new filter, which may not sufficiently attenuate ultrasonic sound above Nyquist, may cause noise **within** the audible range. Some people were concerned by this side effect. Is there any way to measure such noise? Or, does any of your graphs already show that? (SINAD would not show this, because you explained that the filter exchange should not affect this number.)

And if possible one more experiment: I think you have done all the measurement with 3.5mm output. Could you do some test with the 4.4mm output to see there might be any difference? I completely understand that there should not be any difference in theory. At least, if you send output to the R channel and measure the same channel, there should be absolutely no difference. But if you send output to the R channel (or send different signals to R and L channels) and measure the L channel, there might be some leakage or crosstalk with the 3-pin shared-ground connection. Some people argue that 4-pin split-ground connection has a big advantage, even without balanced double-ended (+)/(-) amps, that channel separation is much better to give a clearer sound stage. I'm afraid that the difference might be beyond the audible level, but it would be nice to see if there would be absolutely no difference or at least some difference.

Best regards,
Kei
(Topping D90, Rotel RA1570, Sonus Faber Sonetto V, Fiio Q5s, EarStudio ES100, Sennheiser HD650, HD25, HD414, IE8, IE800s)

Nonya

I will wait until it comes on Amazon. Purchased something from apos before and they're a pain when you try to get a refund or repair in my experience.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will wait until it comes on Amazon. Purchased something from apos before and they're a pain when you try to get a refund or repair in my experience.
I've bought several devices from Apos but have never needed to send back for repair/replacement. They do offer extra warranty for free so that's why I buy from them.

ICYGENIUS

Hello friends,Today I'm going to tell you about Topping's latest portable product, the TOPPING G5 DAC!
More details about this dac in the review.
Enjoy watching!
Available in all languages
:)Review on my channel :

DRuszaT

I have firmware 1.50. I mixed a new sound installation (24 bit, 48 kHz) yesterday, it sounded fine on the studio monitor (Kali IN-8) and in the headphones (HEDDphone, LCD-XC). This morning I was listening on the G5 in BT mode with my LCD-XC headphones and at 6.56 I noticed that I could hear two small soft clicks. I got a bit angry, I said there's no way I didn't pick this up during mastering. I listen to the sound mix on the computer, no clicks. In BT mode, you can hear the little clicks in the same place on the phone and on the computer. In USB mode nowhere the clicks only in BT mode. I also listened to the material with other BT devices, e.g. the Lypertek Tevi, and no clicking there either, only on the G5... Is it possible that there is something to improve in the firmware....? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom