• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 256 70.7%

• Total voters

KeiIto

Ignore SINAD and Bal vs not Bal, focus on output power and EQ capabilities.
The BTR7 will sound better than the G5, because it has more than enough power for your headphones and IEMs, plus the capability to correct the frequency response.
I'd choose the Qudelix 5K over the BTR7, because it has even better EQ and a much more complete software package, plus still more than enough power.
Thank you for your suggestion. I own ES100, a predecessor of Qudelix 5K. I found it very convenient as an "around-the-neck BT receiver", because the intermediate connector of Sennheiser IE800 just fits into its 2.5mm jack and I can clip its tiny body on the collar of my shirt.

But I did not quite like the sound of ES100 in terms of clarity, crispness and power, even though I was able to fine-tune the equalizer curve. Fiio Q5s was better in these aspects, but the sound still appeared a bit muddy. I like the crisp sound of Topping D90 for my speaker system and am looking for a portable system that can provide similar sound. I thought that higher SINAD would give more faithful sound reproduction = clear and crispy, and balanced signals would give more power. Am I wrong?

zeb512

I don't think this is specific to the unit you tested Amir, as in the published product manual (very small) I believe the same issue is shown;

View attachment 224537

In the same manual reference is made to;

View attachment 224539

This unit uses the ESS ES9068AS which actually has three preset filters available;

View attachment 224538

So unsure if the filter is one of the presets or a custom filter @JohnYang1997;

... is capable of rendering MQA too.

Still, a good product and well priced.

Thanks for testing of course, your time is appreciated.

JSmith

Is there something that will block MQA decoding in the Topping G5 ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there something that will block MQA decoding in the Topping G5 ?
There's no way the G5 (or any DAC for that matter) could block that first software unfold.
However, the G5 is not an MQA DAC, so it won't do the 2nd and 3rd unfold.

zeb512

There's no way the G5 (or any DAC for that matter) could block that first software unfold.
However, the G5 is not an MQA DAC, so it won't do the 2nd and 3rd unfold.
The DAC chip datasheet list hardware MQA decoding but Topping G5 no. It is an hidden feature or something is not implemented anywhere on the board ?

Labjr

Major Contributor
The DAC chip datasheet list hardware MQA decoding but Topping G5 no. It is an hidden feature or something is not implemented anywhere on the board ?
I believe they would have to pay license fees and slap that gold MQA label on it. Also there would need to be an MQA LED that that lights up when it's being decoded. And Topping would list it as a feature in the specs.

zeb512

I believe they would have to pay license fees and slap that gold MQA label on it. Also there would need to be an MQA LED that that lights up when it's being decoded. And Topping would list it as a feature in the specs.
Some $100 DAC support it so why not paying a little bit more for a $300 DAC/AMP if the chip support it. :)

Landauer

I really like the looks of this, it strongly reminds me of the Sennheiser amps that had a similar transparent stripe to the side.

jcadduono

Jeeze, I ordered the G5 from Shenzhenaudio just before Amir's review was posted, pretty much the moment it went up for order. 3 days later they sent tracking info, and after a few weeks I decided to ask them why the tracking said it never picked it up.
This is what I got:
Dear customer, thank you for your contact, we have just verified that due to the recent urban water and electricity restrictions and the spread of the new crown epidemic, the factory production time has been delayed again, all orders have been delayed in delivery, your order has been placed by the manufacturer, the manufacturer's reply It is because the factory was forced to stop production. It is expected to complete production around 9.10-9.25 in early September. After the production is completed, we will notify you as soon as possible that the goods have been delivered. do not worry. I'm really sorry we didn't intentionally delay delivery,G5 have been in short supply for a long time. We will urge the manufacturers to produce as soon as possible. Would you like to wait any longer?

If you want to cancel your order please contact us and we can help with cancellation and refund. Thank you for your understanding and for your patience and support.

Interestingly, everywhere has it listed as In Stock/Available and no notice of the sort?

Last edited:

d2k5000

Dear customer, thank you for your contact, we have just verified that due to the recent urban water and electricity restrictions and the spread of the new crown epidemic, the factory production time has been delayed again, all orders have been delayed in delivery, your order has been placed by the manufacturer, the manufacturer's reply It is because the factory was forced to stop production. It is expected to complete production around 9.10-9.25 in early September. After the production is completed, we will notify you as soon as possible that the goods have been delivered. do not worry. I'm really sorry we didn't intentionally delay delivery,G5 have been in short supply for a long time. We will urge the manufacturers to produce as soon as possible. Would you like to wait any longer?

If you want to cancel your order please contact us and we can help with cancellation and refund. Thank you for your understanding and for your patience and support.
I just received a similar message from Apos Audio regarding my order. They say that it should be shipped out on the September 15th. They did give me a $15 gift card as compensation.

PGAMiami

Curious as to whether there is any real difference between the 3.5 mm output and the 4.4 mm. Are the grounds of the 4.4 mm tied together internally? And benefits from using the 4.4 mm?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Curious as to whether there is any real difference between the 3.5 mm output and the 4.4 mm. Are the grounds of the 4.4 mm tied together internally? And benefits from using the 4.4 mm?
No performance benefits whatsoever. None.
Only benefit is that you don't have to get an adapter if your headphone uses 4.4mm

Nonya

Looks really nice. But it doesn’t make me regret buying the NX7. The NX7 has 300mW more and gives me the same functionality when I connect my BTR5 to it. Doesn’t look as nice tho
NX7 less than half the price

jogi

Does anybody know where it's available in Europe?

Nonya

The btr7 can not drive the Dan clarks clean.

FiiO is releasing the q7 in a few weeks I think, I'd wait for that.

For me the topping sound is missing the mojo and thats exactly the same with the d90se a90.

This dude is bang on. He uses the Dan clark with the k9 pro ess.
The k9 is very smiler to the m17 transportable. The q7 is supposed to be a smaller, no screen version of the m17. (fingers crossed)
I wonder how much they will charge. Imho e30 2 l30 2 stack beats m17.

Does g5 sound like l20 2 stack?

Top Bottom