• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 259 71.0%

• Total voters

MiloTheFirst

The most common sample rate for music is 44.1 kHz - decades of printing millions of CDs before higher sampling rates became practical. 48 kHz is the next most common, especially for DVDs, BluRays and phones.

The reason I find it so surprising that Topping picked that filter is because most of the ESS chips have better filters to choose from. If they wanted full attenuation at 22.05 kHz they could have picked the filter that is down only 1.5 dB @ 20 kHz. And if they wanted flat to 20 khz they could have picked a filter that attenuates by 24.1 kHz, which only allows HF noise above 20 khz. With these options available, their choice doesn't make sense. They also could have made it use one filter for 44.1 kHz, and a different filter at higher sample rates.

That said, the G3 looks like a great device in every other way, clearly they put a lot of thought & engineering into this product, which makes the poor filter choice even that much more mystifying!
I don't think I got my point across. of course I know most music get produced at 44.1khz. but if the OS is set to operate at 48khz by default, then that's the rate the DAC will be working at, regardless of what our file's original rate is. If a consumer intents to use this with an android phone then 48khz is what they will get regardless of their preference or feelings, they would have to go out of their way to get a third party app to use as a work around. My point was that the vast majority of people buying this will just want to get a plug and play experience, and even Windows is set to resample everything to 48Khz by default

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The topping blurb refers to a ‘lightening version’. Https://www.topping.audio/productinfo/877767.html
Makes no difference unless they specify an MFI certification, which they apparently don’t. The FiiO Q3 and iFi xDSD Gryphon do, which makes me worry that this device’s lightning cable is as genuine as its fake balanced pentaconn jack. All Apple has to do is release their next iOS cycle, and it could render this lightning OTG cable useless—along with the device.

Since the Q3 comes with a bass boost and a true balanced 4.4 connection at half the price of this thing, I’d prefer my FiiO—even if its measurements are inferior—for a portable iPhone solution. For me portables are for fun, not for critical listening—and most headphones out there without some bass tuning just ain’t fun. Especially IEMs.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I don't think I got my point across. of course I know most music get produced at 44.1khz. but if the OS is set to operate at 48khz by default, then that's the rate the DAC will be working at, regardless of what our file's original rate is. If a consumer intents to use this with an android phone then 48khz is what they will get regardless of their preference or feelings, they would have to go out of their way to get a third party app to use as a work around. My point was that the vast majority of people buying this will just want to get a plug and play experience, and even Windows is set to resample everything to 48Khz by default
I understand that, but I think anyone who buys this device is not the average consumer, who would be perfectly happy with whatever sound quality their phone already has (which isn't that bad, honestly). The kind of person who buys this device has already gone out of his way for better sound quality, and will probably take steps to get the bit perfect stream from their phone to the player without resampling or other DSP. Like USB Audio Player Pro or whatever. In that case a lot of the music will be at 44.1 kHz.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
glad to amaze you, but i must say what's truly over-the-top & self-important would be using those words to describe others' comment without even knowing how to read. you're the one who needs help keeping things into perspective - some people, myself included, think that flatness up to 20kHz is more important, while some people, topping included, for some reasons (you may want to read posts such as #245 or #268 in this thread), think that enough attenuation before Nyquist is more important, hence the design choice, and im ok with both views existing, as clearly implied. i was just pointing out the fact that, in this particular case, advocating one over another doesn't objectively make either one the only logical answer nor the corresponding weakness comes with it more acceptable than another.
you can criticize the filter choice, dac chip choice, & conclude that this is a bad product for yourself because of these all you want. that's completely fine by me. what isn't fine is some people go as far as making all kinds of false accusations repeatedly despite multiple clarifications, just to throw dirt on topping's name, thinking it somehow justifies god-knows-what when no need to as them not rating this product highly can be completely justified already just by aforementioned reasons (facts btw) alone & these things they said being untrue justify nothing therefore not only opinions based on these don't have a point, the accusations are totally uncalled for. to those kind of people, i asked them: please kindly shut up.
aside from this, there is of course zero problem for people pointing out the weakness, amir did exactly that on the review!! did i say i have problem with that? lol. the funniest thing is, i don't have problem with that to a point that i didn't even care to really touch on this topic in the post you replies to, as all i care about was to stop those false accusations, because i didn't think anything else is remotely as important, yet you seem to feel offended (by stating facts lol). now that we're touching on this, i must repeat i don't have a problem with how anyone rate this product, not only that, i don't even have problem with you or anyone else disagreeing with amir. in fact, neither me nor the ones who rated this device highly nor amir himself seem to have any problem with any of that. on the other hand, just because amir or some have different criteria, preference, perspective, etc. than the others, people like you feel so offended that you won't stop repeating the same things over and over again unless amir changes his stance. now who are the self-important one, you or me? if you call stating facts & doing what needs to be done over-the-top & self-important, what even are you? as long as you can't tell the difference between us, i don't think it's possible for you to ever improve as a human being. i suggest you learn how to read & use words properly for starters. it helps tremendously. saving time & avoiding unnecessary arguments.
(what a waste of time & space)

JSmith

Master Contributor
@JohnYang1997 I noticed a few people asking if the battery is removable, replaceable and the number of charge cycles possible before degradation or failure. I assume it's not removable, however it would be good for potential customers if you clarify that. A good little product though regardless of the battery query.

JSmith

TRDK

If you are sucessful, please keep me posted!
I did get this information from their support "Hello dear customer, G5 itself contains wires" - based on my question about lightning cable. Let's wait and see - The G5 has been shipped and is on it's way to Germany (Hamburg). I will let you know.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I only look at "confirmed purchase" reviews, with a pinch of salt.
There are lots of confirmed purchase reviews which are faked. I get offers almost every single day by companies asking me to create such fake reviews for them.
Since I write reviews on the Amazon Vine platform which does not require you to leave a good or bad review on any product. We are basically the ones who have to decide if products are actually good or not. It's interesting because I have given products bad reviews and then the product itself is actually improved and they email me and tell me that they fix what I found in my review and asked me to retest it.
So I like the concept of improving products for everyone! Especially since I have lots of stuff before it reaches the market.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
@Amir does typically mention (in passing) obvious issues/flaws such as sharp corners, heavy for portable use, etc. It's not the focus of the review but I find I could come here without prior experience and confidently buy a product based on his measurements/reviews. I actually did that when I first came upon ASR-it's how I ended up buying the D70 and the TXH 789 which I'm listening to as I type.
Two wonderful devices! I pre ordered the THX789 to make sure we would have one to test here but someone else did the same and drop shipped it straight to Amir.
We know how that turned out and the rest is history. I have used it as my daily amp since launch day. Absolutely love it.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
They had never selected such a filter before. I think the recent reviews of Chord products with their sharp filter may have motivated them to change thinking that we care about that more than we really do. In other words, they are being responsive to our comments, not something they want to push.
I thought about this as well. As Chord's sharp brickwall filter is praised.
If they do take our comments into account; allow the battery to be replaced. Make a new sku where the battery compartment is accessible and they sell the batteries.
I shouldn't need to have to heat up the device to remove glue and stuff to change the battery (I'm not saying this is the process for the G5 as it is only an example) when it could be opened easily.

Liya

... and now one of the largest audio sites period...
... speaking like a true fanboy. ASR is far from being 'the largest audio sites'. Maybe you vist the site 10 times every hour and it's big in your mind but look around, Darko, PS Audio, Andrew Robinson, Pursuit Perfect System, A British Audiophile, cheapaudioman, Jay, Hans and many, many others got way more subscribers than ASR.
ASR is a 'matter of fact' website so please don't spread false claims re how big it is.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Darko, PS Audio, Hans
Unsure what this has to do with the G5... however are you seriously suggesting these commercial charlatans are comparable to ASR? If so I will be LMFAO... in fact I am already. :D

Darko will probably rate the G5 highly as it is heavier than others and looks nice. Paul will just say "what's a G5?". Hans will suggest if one keeps their G5 in a glass pyramid, the sound will stay sharp.

JSmith

Liya

are you seriously suggesting these commercial charlatans are comparable to ASR?
No, but the cult following is of similar strength.
This website is ridiculed all over the audio/hifi sites. To be laugh at in this niche market really seems counter-productive.
This business model stinks just like any other charlatan type audio site.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This website is ridiculed all over the audio/hifi sites.

Their defensiveness is nearly palpable. Too bad they choose ridicule rather than understanding.

This business model stinks just like any other charlatan type audio site.

Then you certainly wouldn't want to be associated with the likes of us. This is clearly no place you'd want to be.

So much concern about the hf filter it looks like a slow roll off, i don't see any major issue with this i doubt anyone would notice in actual use. Looks like a solid piece of gear that would please anyone in the market for what it offers.

Georgrig

Makes no difference unless they specify an MFI certification, which they apparently don’t. The FiiO Q3 and iFi xDSD Gryphon do, which makes me worry that this device’s lightning cable is as genuine as its fake balanced pentaconn jack. All Apple has to do is release their next iOS cycle, and it could render this lightning OTG cable useless—along with the device.

Since the Q3 comes with a bass boost and a true balanced 4.4 connection at half the price of this thing, I’d prefer my FiiO—even if its measurements are inferior—for a portable iPhone solution. For me portables are for fun, not for critical listening—and most headphones out there without some bass tuning just ain’t fun. Especially IEMs.
God damn it, I've been saying the same thing many posts ago! Thank you! I'm betting Topping is NOT MFi certified..

Georgrig

I ordered from Apos, comes with FiiO LT-LT1 USB Type-C to Lightning Data Cable for a little less than $20 extra
If it's not MFI certified by Apple, it's simply not compatible with the iPhone regardless of the cable used.

Even if it works for now, future iOS updates can and will render the G5 useless.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it's not MFI certified by Apple, it's simply not compatible with the iPhone regardless of the cable used.

Even if it works for now, future iOS updates can and will render the G5 useless.
MFI certification is a joke. It's just an apple scam so they can charge manufacturers $4 per unit with their "certification." A properly made non MFI lightning cable will work identically to an MFI certified cable.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Apple is a joke! I got my first iPhone right before the pandemic started because I’m a germaphobe and it was the least expensive way for me to have a mobile wallet. I’ve realized how proprietary they are. It’s like this exclusive club. But times have changed. I don’t believe Apple can continue to make such demands of every single party who want access to their platform. The banking industry is catching up with contactless payment. I prefer not to need my phone for everything I do.

Top Bottom