• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 - Is the battery serviceable ?

Rorschach

not sure. the link I gave if you scroll down to the bottom of the text, the bottom right, has a fill out your info for a quote link. I forgot the name of the website but there's another similar to this one where you basically do the same thing.
They did not answer. They may deal in larger quantities.

pukemon

I haven't been in the smartphone game for a while seeing as I'm still on my note9 but I know phone batteries have been in the 4-5000mAh range for awhile. and last I remember battery voltages were ~3.85V, meaning close enough. sucks LG is out the smartphone game now knowing they one of the top battery makers but samsung still a top tier battery maker. anybody willing to do battery surgery with a S22 or S23 battery? I'm guessing those batteries are somewhere in the neighborhood of 4500ish mAh and 3.85ish V. iirc, I think some flagship were going 3.87 or 3.88 but that shouldn't hurt as we are still in the neighborhood.

I can't do it right now. I am waiting on my topping A30 pro to show up and my D30 pro is waiting in the states and I will being going ~ late march to pick it up. After I've had a couple weeks honeymoon with that I may consider doing the surgery. I'm putting this out there right now so we can brainstorm for the best candidates and possible biggest battery. and also hit john or johnnyang in one of the topping threads to see what he says about it. I emailed topping, thursday or friday night but no response about a replacement. I'd rather have a name brand like samsung anyways than a cheap chinese battery. I had a NX4 I didn't feel like I got my money's worth because after ~10 months it went to getting <1h battery life. I happen to have a fresh note9 battery I don't think will optimally fit and a swollen and new LG V20 battery that may fit or be close to fitting I can update here soon. anyways, hoping my post gets more brainstorming going on.

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't been in the smartphone game for a while seeing as I'm still on my note9 but I know phone batteries have been in the 4-5000mAh range for awhile. and last I remember battery voltages were ~3.85V, meaning close enough. sucks LG is out the smartphone game now knowing they one of the top battery makers but samsung still a top tier battery maker. anybody willing to do battery surgery with a S22 or S23 battery? I'm guessing those batteries are somewhere in the neighborhood of 4500ish mAh and 3.85ish V. iirc, I think some flagship were going 3.87 or 3.88 but that shouldn't hurt as we are still in the neighborhood.

I can't do it right now. I am waiting on my topping A30 pro to show up and my D30 pro is waiting in the states and I will being going ~ late march to pick it up. After I've had a couple weeks honeymoon with that I may consider doing the surgery. I'm putting this out there right now so we can brainstorm for the best candidates and possible biggest battery. and also hit john or johnnyang in one of the topping threads to see what he says about it. I emailed topping, thursday or friday night but no response about a replacement. I'd rather have a name brand like samsung anyways than a cheap chinese battery. I had a NX4 I didn't feel like I got my money's worth because after ~10 months it went to getting <1h battery life. I happen to have a fresh note9 battery I don't think will optimally fit and a swollen and new LG V20 battery that may fit or be close to fitting I can update here soon. anyways, hoping my post gets more brainstorming going on.

Yes, the higher voltage batteries are safe to use in lower voltage chargers. 3.7V batteries are charged at 4.20V. 3.8V batteries are (usually) charged at 4.3V, 3.85V batteries at 4.35V etc. etc.

When you charge a 3.7V battery with 4.35V, you end up charging it to like 115-120% of its design capacity, and doing so reduces the total number of charges the battery will handle before losing capacity. If you have a 3.7V battery and always charge it like a 3.85V battery, if the 3.7V battery would have got 500 cycles at its correct charge voltage, it will get somewhere around 150-200 charges at 4.35V.

Also, if a 3.7V battery is fast charged (>2.0C) at 3.85V battery voltages, its temperature will rise 10-20C higher than if it got its correct voltage.

You can always go down, but you can't go up.

Also, interestingly, charging a 3.85V battery with 3.7V battery voltage does not mean it doesn't fill up all the way. It will just take a really really long time to reach full. Actually, if there is a battery management system (ie. the battery is in a device and you're not using a CC/CV power supply) the charge might get cut off short, but probably not by the full amount (ie. you won't be left at 85% charged, probably 95-97%).

Moral of the story: close enough works, but only in one direction - down. You can use higher voltage batteries in lower voltage chargers, but not the other way around (not if you want them to last their intended amount of cycles, anyway)

mike7877

Customs liked the battery I bought very much, so no.

Dang. I noticed that amazon says certain li-ion/po batteries can't be shipped to my address now (why list them at all...)
I think it might have something to do with tariffs or trade agreements or something. Very unfortunate!
Are you going to try to jerry-rig a phone battery?

Rorschach

I picked up the biggest battery I could find here which is 3.7v 2000 mAh li-po and threw that into G5.

Its battery life is terrible now (around 2,5h) but I get to use it as a desktop, plugged into the PC USB. SQ is unaffected.

mike7877

I picked up the biggest battery I could find here which is 3.7v 2000 mAh li-po and threw that into G5.

Its battery life is terrible now (around 2,5h) but I get to use it as a desktop, plugged into the PC USB. SQ is unaffected.
Good that it's working, unfortunate the life is so much less. You've not got it at high gain, have you? If so, that 2.5 could turn into 3.75-4.25. Protip: medium gain takes ~20mA less than low for some reason.

Is there vertical space in the G5? Could you stack one on top of the other and close the back? If so, you could charge both to 100, connect them in parallel, and reconnect (if your current battery has less than ~50 cycles damage)

Rorschach

Good that it's working, unfortunate the life is so much less. You've not got it at high gain, have you? If so, that 2.5 could turn into 3.75-4.25. Protip: medium gain takes ~20mA less than low for some reason.

Is there vertical space in the G5? Could you stack one on top of the other and close the back? If so, you could charge both to 100, connect them in parallel, and reconnect (if your current battery has less than ~50 cycles damage)

Yes, I'm always on medium gain.
I believe one can stack two 2000mah lipos there. Good thinking Mike, thanks.

Top Bottom