• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping EX5 or DX3pro+ with P50?

hoffel

Hi everyone! I want to spend ~350 usd/euros on headphone dac-amp. I am considering the Topping DX3pro+ and the Topping EX5 – to be paired with a Hifiman Sundara, a Sennheiser HD560s and a Moondrop Kato.

I was testing the DX3 but there is a hum as soon as I connect the Kato, not with the headphones. Topping said this is normal with non-earthed amps that are not connected via grounded usb (in my case optical from a Bluesound Node). So I borrowed a Topping P50 linear psu. The hum is gone and I dig the sound, I must say.

Yet, I am wordering if for the same money the EX5 would be the better investment. Although I don't need mqa and (for now) balanced outputs.

So, what do you guys think? Any advice? I was also considering Schiit or Atom stacks, but those don't really seem to be an option here in Europe :/

Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom