• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
When one gets the E70, this is the best song to complement your new purchase. In addition to the velvet smoothness, you get the blackest background to differentiate between silence and when there's sound. :p
... or blue. :p

JSmith

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I can see the allure of the Velvet, but would it be too much to ask of AKM to make a Silk and an Egyptian Cotton version as well?

Kidding of course, AKM should stick to silicon instead of playing around with these flammable materials. They’ve already burned down the factory once…

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Oh I've already emailed them asking for a baby camel hair version... will be the smoothest sound ever. I'm told they're looking into it... ;)
If they manage to control the smell I’m all for it!

aka_Z

You are just jelaous to George Costanza :D

Btw, Apos does not have pickup option. Now I have to wait for them to ship the device to me, even though they are just a few miles away :facepalm:

rarewolf

Not really though when you consider the only main difference is ESS vs AKM and the word velvet. :p

JSmith

“To evaluate DAC performance, I paired the E70V directly with my time-tested studio monitors via XLR. I switched between both of the units, volume-matched, and used the same AQ cables. The E70V sounds natural, impressively clean, and accurate. It is tonally balanced, with a colorless signature across the spectrum. The E70V features the same, mighty impressive technical ability as the E70. It is not surprising since Topping has been constantly upping its game throughout 2022. Its resolution is just brilliant. I believe the biggest difference between the two devices is that the AKM has a more realistic, slightly meatier, and slightly more natural timbre, especially in wind and natural instruments. Although the difference is quite small, I was able to distinguish between the E70V and E70 8 out of 10 times in a blind test…”

staticV3

Master Contributor
"To evaluate DAC performance, I paired the E70V directly with my time-tested studio monitors via XLR. I switched between both of the units, volume-matched, and used the same AQ cables. Although the difference is quite small, I was able to distinguish between the E70V and E70 8 out of 10 times in a blind test…"
Sorry, but when it comes to a blind test between two transparent DACs, that's just not enough.

Volume-matched how?
How were the two DACs fed?
What was the dead time when switching?
How was the blind test conducted?

That's the sort of questions that cannot be left unanswered if the test result should hold any value.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have to find some Mel Tormé or Velvet Undergound to play.

Martin

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
Seems apt in a few ways. :cool:
... together Velvet goldmine, you stroke me like the rain Snake it, take it, Panther princess you must stay Velvet goldmine ...

JSmith

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I've been thinking about my upcoming comparison between the E70 pair. I will start a separate thread when I have completed the comparison but wanted some help setting it up. Here are the relevant details and my questions...

The Setup

Components:
  • PiCorePlayer with embedded LMS on 2GB Raspberry Pi 4
  • USB A male to USB A female splitter cable
  • Identical USB A to USB B cables
  • Topping E70 & Topping E70 Velvet both set to DAC mode, 4V output and default filter
  • Identical XLR cables
  • Benchmark HPA-4 preamp / headphone amp
  • Audeze LCD-3 headphones or ICEpower monoblock amps through Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary speakers
I will use oratory1990 headphone equalization and REW speaker equalization throughout. Equalization is performed on the LMS using SOX. Comparison will be performed with a set of songs I know well; I may use the same set I used for my headphone comparison.

Level Matched:
This is where I need help. I have a multimeter, a Radio Shack handheld sound level meter, and pink and white noise FLAC files. I was planning to check voltages on the USB cables and sound levels through my speakers. What is the best recommendation for level matching?

Blind:
I will have my son connect the DAC USB cables and XLR cables between the DACs and HPA-4. The DACs will not be visible to me, and I will switch between the two HPA-4 inputs. Switching should be nearly instantaneous. I will have control of the HPA-4 remote and will switch between the two inputs at will. Only after I have completed the comparison will I look to see which DAC is connected to which input. How many trials should I run?

Any other comments or recommendations?

Thanks,
Martin

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
USB A male to USB A female splitter cable
I hope you're not trying to connect two DACs to one USB port on the Raspi using a simple splitter cable, because that won't work.

This is where I need help. I have a multimeter, a Radio Shack handheld sound level meter, and pink and white noise FLAC files. I was planning to check voltages on the USB cables and sound levels through my speakers. What is the best recommendation for level matching?
The USB cables don't carry an analog signal that you could measure the voltage of. You need to measure the voltage at the DAC outputs, in-situ. Or at the Amp output works as well. Use a 60Hz test tone for this, and make sure any replay gain is turned off in the player.
You can forget about the SPL meter. It's not accurate and repeatable enough for this.

Blind:
I will have my son connect the DAC USB cables and XLR cables between the DACs and HPA-4. The DACs will not be visible to me, and I will switch between the two HPA-4 inputs. Switching should be nearly instantaneous. I will have control of the HPA-4 remote and will switch between the two inputs at will. Only after I have completed the comparison will I look to see which DAC is connected to which input. How many trials should I run?
Give your son a phone with a random number generator running on it that outputs either a 1 or a 0. After each trial when you're done A/B-ing and tell your son which DAC you think is which, he should refresh the generator. If it's a 0, have him plug out both DACs and plug them in the same way as before. If it's a 1, have him plug out the DACs, then plug them back in the other way.
Your son should have a pice of paper where he notes down each trial, what DAC is connected to what input, and whether you got it right.
The DACs and inputs should be labeled to avoid operator error.
I'd say 10-20 trials should be good.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope you're not trying to connect two DACs to one USB port on the Raspi using a simple splitter cable, because that won't work.

That was the plan to avoid having to switch inputs/ouputs on multiple devices. Why would it not work? The Pi has 2 USB 3 and 2 USB 2 ports. I guess I can use one pair of outputs. Are they both active or will I have to switch between them? Looks like I'm going to have to do some experimenting.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That was the plan to avoid having to switch inputs/ouputs on multiple devices. Why would it not work? The Pi has 2 USB 3 and 2 USB 2 ports. I guess I can use one pair of outputs. Are they both active or will I have to switch between them? Looks like I'm going to have to do some experimenting.
You can certainly connect two USB devices to one port on your Pi using a USB Hub. Those have a controller inside that assures proper communication. As a result, both DACs will be detected by the Pi as separate devices.

What doesn't work is connecting two accessories to one port with a simple USB splitter made of only copper wires.

It should be possible to tell the Pi to output the audio to two USB DACs simultaneously, but I don't know if or how this works using picoreplayer.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can certainly connect two USB devices to one port on your Pi using a USB Hub. Those have a controller inside that assures proper communication. As a result, both DACs will be detected by the Pi as separate devices.

What doesn't work is connecting two accessories to one port with a simple USB splitter made of only copper wires.

It should be possible to tell the Pi to output the audio to two USB DACs simultaneously, but I don't know if or how this works using picoreplayer.

Now I see the error of my ways. PiCorePlayer needs to know the device on the USB port. I'll play with connecting through two separate USB ports on the Pi. I've found some relevant posts on the piCorePlayer / Logitech forums.

fabien32

Prof. Wolf posted measurements of this unit 8 days ago;
It seems this implementation of the AKM 4499EX is also showing the IMD hump which showed up in the measurements of the SMSL D400EX.

From what I can see it's basically the E70 with an AKM chip instead of ESS;

JSmith
Let me understand, when you guys changed from es to ex that was something else?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Seems apt in a few ways. :cool:

JSmith
lol (the highlighted)
index.php

OP
JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
changed from es to ex
Do you mean the SMSL D400EX & SMSL D400ES?

SMSL D400ES

The new generation flagship DAC chip ES9039MSPRO of USA ESS has built-in MQA hard decoding;

Designed with an eight-channel parallel circuit, the distortion is as low as a staggering 0.00005% (-125dB) and more stable.

SMSL D400EX

Flagship DAC chip 1 AK4191+ 2 AK4499EX, tap all the potential of the chip;

Dual mono design, one AK4499EX per channel, distortion as low as a staggering 0.00006% (-124dB)

JSmith

NexusOne

Most of the reviewers say „take the velvet“. What would you do? Will there be no Test Here? Difficult decision. I think dacs are a Bit too expensive in comparison to amps.

Do you Know if hifigo does often offer them cheaper or not? I can‘t Decide until tomorrow.

fabien32

Most of the reviewers say „take the velvet“. What would you do? Will there be no Test Here? Difficult decision. I think dacs are a Bit too expensive in comparison to amps.

Do you Know if hifigo does often offer them cheaper or not? I can‘t Decide until tomorrow.
There is so many factors to take in consideration when it comes to music that I don't know where to start.
The first question I would ask if I was you would be, can I hear the difference? Because if you don't than, who cares? All the DAC would sound the same ton you.
If you can hear the difference and it important to you, than my next question would be what's your budget?
To me personally the best sounding Dac is the Denafrips Ares 12th. But my tendance is to a warmer bassy sound. So my third question would be, are you in music a more analytical type or you don't mind to color the music as long as you enjoy listening?
I have plenty more questions, like preamp with or without tubes, headphones or speakers, with or without a streamer. The Dac is only a percent of the experience

NexusOne

I think I will start with the original E70. Actually i have nothing but this is my plan: Apple TV --> HDMI --> TV -> optical OUT --> E70 --> XLR --> L70 --> XLR --> Hifiman (XS, Ananda or Arya Stealth). Some months ago I had Smsl D6, Dacmagic 100 & SH9 and they were fine. I couldn't here a difference. The balanced D6 was abit louter. Budget? For dac and amp? 700-800? But i need a remote.

Top Bottom