• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Jonessön both the Blue sound and E70 use digital volume attenuation. It's unclear whether one is better than the other, but they're probably equal.
There have been reports of the E70 bugging out and resetting its volume to 100%. That's a risk with digital volume control.

What speakers are connected to the E70?

Reactions: GPJ

Jonessön

@Jonessön both the Blue sound and E70 use digital volume attenuation. It's unclear whether one is better than the other, but they're probably equal.
There have been reports of the E70 bugging out and resetting its volume to 100%. That's a risk with digital volume control.

What speakers are connected to the E70?
Genelec G5 pair. So I believe its safe to use E70 in DAC only mode and control volume with Node, no risk of going 100% volume level.

Edit. And why volume is lower when this E70 is connected to node at same volume level?

Last edited:

Jonessön

As long as the Node doesn't glitch out, yes.

What do you mean?
Volume at 25% for example (BluOS App) is louder when everything connected to node compared external dac. Wonder if my super bad toslink affect volume level? If its possible, no idea. One thats between node and e70v.

shrimp_dude

Just got this bad boy in and didn't realize it was smaller than my A90D amplifier. In hindsight seems obvious that the 50/70/90 series are different form factors... oh well.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@shrimp_dude there are also dimensions on Topping's website ;)
6050815.jpg7098887.jpg

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone needs to host an ABX listening party with the E70 in one corner and the E70 Velvet in the other to once and for all put to rest the idea that DACs have a sonic signature.

E70:
E70.jpg

E70 Velvet:
E70 Velvet.jpg

Who among you has the golden ears that can hear differences at -140dB? There they are, plain as day, in the 1kHz FFT Spectrum. <sarcasm> Got to be audible, right? </sarcasm>

Martin

Last edited:

alpha_logic

Just got the e70 Velvet. IMO this is an Epic DAC, and so far the best DAC Topping has released to date. I like it better than my Gustard X26 Pro, my Topping D70s, the Topping D90LE, and better than the SMSL D300, or SMSL SU-9pro. Great case design, good form factor - display and features are perfect as far as I'm concerned. Under $500.00, I don't think anything can compete with this DAC. Well done Topping!

Sokel

Master Contributor
Just got the e70 Velvet. IMO this is an Epic DAC, and so far the best DAC Topping has released to date. I like it better than my Gustard X26 Pro, my Topping D70s, the Topping D90LE, and better than the SMSL D300, or SMSL SU-9pro. Great case design, good form factor - display and features are perfect as far as I'm concerned. Under $500.00, I don't think anything can compete with this DAC. Well done Topping!
You have spent 4.000$ on 5 different DACs with probably exactly the same SQ,totally inaudible differences,indistinguishable from each other,for what?
I mean it's your money,you can burn them if you like,I'm totally cool with that.

But that defeats the purpose here a little,doesn't it?

(except you have 5 systems,then I stand corrected)

alpha_logic

You have spent 4.000$ on 5 different DACs with probably exactly the same SQ,totally inaudible differences,indistinguishable from each other,for what?
I mean it's your money,you can burn them if you like,I'm totally cool with that.

But that defeats the purpose here a little,doesn't it?

(except you have 5 systems,then I stand corrected)
I have more than 5 systems - that and and everything else you said is based on assumptions which evaluate to false : )

Jonessön

Glad you like it. I returned mine after 1 day. Didnt notice difference to Node N130. Did blind test to 2 friends at different time and both prefered Node for being more balanced, but at the same time said cant really hear a significant difference.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I may sell my DX7 Pro, buy both, and perform my own ABX through my HPA4 and Audeze LCD-3 headphones then keep the winner or least expensive in the likely event I cannot hear a difference.

Martin

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the idea, just make sure to do it blind. It's hard to describe how much sighted listening affects what you hear, until you've spent 10 minutes turning a knob hearing small differences that were totally imaginary...

rarewolf

I like the idea, just make sure to do it blind. It's hard to describe how much sighted listening affects what you hear, until you've spent 10 minutes turning a knob hearing small differences that were totally imaginary...

It isn’t like there aren’t any reviewers out there who have had both DACs in their listening presence, and have heard differences between the two. Refer to them as shills if you want, but their analyses have been consistent in describing the character of those differences…

… how many consistent analyses do you need?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had both but couldn't compare since the velvet was DOA. I returned the regular one as well couldn't tell a difference between it and the D10b. I still mainly use my Benchmark 3L, I trust the volume control and it has a better overall feel to it but I don't think I could tell which was which in a blind test.

Top Bottom