• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

robertospeed

Yeah. :) would have been nice if there had been more rohm chip DACs.
I use it mainly in my Bedroom with a smsl sp400 for headphones.

Don't need flavour filters either since I do all my EQ, dsp stuff in roon.
I'm not interested in the DAC filters either, but I'm interested in the DAC being functional, I spent 499.00 €

Sokel

Master Contributor
a FLAC audio file at 48khz and do the upsampling with the DSD Processor at 48khz in native DSD you say ?
No,there are DSF files (DSD) with 44.1Khz base rate.This ones I can play natively with Khadas up to DSD512.
The ones with 48Khz base rate I can't play at all.
No upsampling,downconversion and things like this involved,just native DSD.

If you find any file like this you can try.

robertospeed

No,there are DSF files (DSD) with 44.1Khz base rate.This ones I can play natively with Khadas up to DSD512.
The ones with 48Khz base rate I can't play at all.
No upsampling,downconversion and things like this involved,just native DSD.

If you find any file like this you can try.
I actually use SACD iso

Sokel

Master Contributor
I actually use SACD iso
That's what ifi says to a similar request:

Answer: Officially DSD uses 44.1kHz based sample rates only.

The ASIO driver supplied by XMOS and used by iFi follows this convention and only supports 44.1kHz based DSD. We have raised 48kHz support as a feature request, however, so far this has not been implemented.

If 48/96/192/384kHz PCM audio is to be used with conversion to DSD, please use either DoP (limited to 24.576MHz DSD / DSD256) or use software that converts to standard DSD frequencies if using ASIO.

..but if you're only using SACD iso you will likely have no problem,ever.

robertospeed

That's what ifi says to a similar request:

..but if you're only using SACD iso you will likely have no problem,ever.
maybe you didn't understand the speech, I'm talking about the Topping E70 Velvet, that the 2 filters don't work when I listen to DSD natively, instead when I listen in PCM the 5 filters work

Sokel

Master Contributor
maybe you didn't understand the speech, I'm talking about the Topping E70 Velvet, that the 2 filters don't work when I listen to DSD natively, instead when I listen in PCM the 5 filters work
No,no,that has nothing to do with the filters.
(these filters are WAY up the audible range any way,I wouldn't expect to hear a difference even if I was a cat)

robertospeed

No,no,that has nothing to do with the filters.
(these filters are WAY up the audible range any way,I wouldn't expect to hear a difference even if I was a cat)
Well , I do not give a damn about the filters and hearing the differences in sound , but in the Topping manual it says that these 2 filters are there , I am interested that the DAC works , but apparently this filter option is not functional and then I will return.

filter.png

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Well , I do not give a damn about the filters and hearing the differences in sound , but in the Topping manual it says that these 2 filters are there , I am interested that the DAC works , but apparently this filter option is not functional and then I will return.

View attachment 258260
I'm pretty sure those are just cut of limiters.. the D300 has 3 of them. How do U want to hear a difference between 37khz and 65khz.

robertospeed

I'm pretty sure those are just cut of limiters.. the D300 has 3 of them. How do U want to hear a difference between 37khz and 65khz.
Maybe I haven't explained myself well yet, I don't use filters and they don't even interest me, unfortunately I'm Italian and I can't speak English and I use a translator and maybe you don't understand me well.
What I mean is that I bought this DAC recently and I am testing it and I am interested that all functions are working, now this DSD filter function is not working and I think my DAC is defective and I can return to amazon, all here.

robertospeed

I wrote an email to Topping and I received an automatic message:

Dear Sir/Madam
I will be out of office for Chinese New Year holiday during 17th to 28th Jan. With very limited access to email, I will reply you on 29th as soon as I back to office.
Thank you and have a nice day!

:mad:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I haven't explained myself well yet, I don't use filters and they don't even interest me, unfortunately I'm Italian and I can't speak English and I use a translator and maybe you don't understand me well.
What I mean is that I bought this DAC recently and I am testing it and I am interested that all functions are working, now this DSD filter function is not working and I think my DAC is defective and I can return to amazon, all here.
I'm not certain how you determined the DSD filters aren't working? How would you know unless you were using a scope or analyzer??

robertospeed

I'm not certain how you determined the DSD filters aren't working? How would you know unless you were using a scope or analyzer??
I know why when I press the FIR key from the remote control nothing appears on the display, DSD F-1 and DSD F-2 should appear

oscilloscope or an analyzer in this case have nothing to do with it.

in PCM instead when I press the FIR key from the remote control the filters appear on the display, always leaving out the differences in sound which is inaudible to me, have I explained myself well now?

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I know why when I press the FIR key from the remote control nothing appears on the display, DSD F-1 and DSD F-2 should appear

oscilloscope or an analyzer in this case have nothing to do with it.

in PCM instead when I press the FIR key from the remote control the filters appear on the display, always leaving out the differences in sound which is inaudible to me, have I explained myself well now?
And your DAC is in fixed mode? DSD won't Work if you have volume control on the DAC. Maybe that's why the "filters" don't do anything at all.

And I'm 99.9% sure they are just cut off frequency ranges for DSD. So everything above 37khz won't send to the connected amp.

So in both cases (37khz and 65khz) you would never hear a difference.

robertospeed

And your DAC is in fixed mode? DSD won't Work if you have volume control on the DAC. Maybe that's why the "filters" don't do anything at all.

And I'm 99.9% sure they are just cut off frequency ranges for DSD. So everything above 37khz won't send to the connected amp.

So in both cases (37khz and 65khz) you would never hear a difference.
Tried it in DAC mode and also in preamplifier mode and the DSD filters still don't work, i.e. I don't see them appearing on the Topping E70 Velvet display

DSD are 1 bit and 2822400 Hz

Tried:
DSD64
DSD128
DSD256
DSD512

IN THIS CASE I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT HEARING THE DIFFERENCES IN LISTENING, I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THIS FUNCTION ON THIS TOPPING WORKS OR NOT? BECAUSE IF IT DOESN'T WORK IT MEANS THAT THE DAC IS DEFECTIVE

Yasuo

Wish I had some velvet ear cups...

Top Bottom