• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

MadMaxx

I received the DAC today, but the DSD filter doesn't work for me, or maybe I don't know how to do it, does it work for you?
I didn't try DSD. In a later post, I mentioned that I returned my E70V because it started powering off randomly. Seems like this dac has some real QC problems.

robertospeed

I didn't try DSD. In a later post, I mentioned that I returned my E70V because it started powering off randomly. Seems like this dac has some real QC problems.
Are you sure it has problems? then I also return it and buy the Gustard x18

robertospeed

Isn't that just the cutoff frequency like every dsd DAC and SACD player has?
PC and foobar2000

foobar2000.png

MadMaxx

Are you sure it has problems? then I also return it and buy the Gustard x18
JustJones here on ASR told me the one he received was dead. With my problem, his and now yours, that's not a great record of quality for the E70V. I haven't decided what dac to try next. Was thinking about the SU-9 Pro, but still not sure.

robertospeed

JustJones here on ASR told me the one he received was dead. With my problem, his and now yours, that's not a great record of quality for the E70V. I haven't decided what dac to try next. Was thinking about the SU-9 Pro, but still not sure.
But mine works fine, tried it with any audio file:

DSF DSD 64
DSF DSD 128
DSF DSD 256
DSF DSD 512
FLAC 24bit 88kHz
FLAC 24bit 96kHz
FLAC 24bit 176kHz
FLAC 24bit 192kHz
FLAC 24bit 352.8kHz
FLAC DXD 24bit 352kHz
Wav 24bit 768kHz
Wav 32bit 768kHz

The 2 filters when I listen to the DSD unfortunately it doesn't let me change them

Maybe I return and buy an SMSL D300

MadMaxx

DSF DSD 64
DSF DSD 128
DSF DSD 256
DSF DSD 512
FLAC 24bit 88kHz
FLAC 24bit 96kHz
FLAC 24bit 176kHz
FLAC 24bit 192kHz
FLAC 24bit 352.8kHz
FLAC DXD 24bit 352kHz
Wav 24bit 768kHz
Wav 32bit 768kHz

The 2 filters when I listen to the DSD unfortunately it doesn't let me change them

You said the DSD filter wasn't working in your first message to me. Now it works?

Snoopy

Major Contributor

That's what I got. No issue at all i use a raspberry pi with it. Upsample everything in roon to DSD512 and have the DAC in fixed mode. DSD cut-off frequency at 52khz.

Some people reported problems with the optical input and popping sounds when switching between pcm and DSD.

I'm only using usb in and XLR out with it. Have to admit I didn't even try the other ports.

(I'm not sure what your foobar screenshot is supposed to show me.)

It sucks to get a problem unit but I quess that possible with everything from Chinese manufacturers like topping, smsl.. that's just how these prices are made possible.

robertospeed

That's what I got. No issue at all i use a raspberry pi with it. Upsample everything in roon to DSD512 and have the DAC in fixed mode. DSD cut-off frequency at 52khz.

Some people reported problems with the optical input and popping sounds when switching between pcm and DSD.

I'm only using usb in and XLR out with it. Have to admit I didn't even try the other ports.

(I'm not sure what your foobar screenshot is supposed to show me.)

It sucks to get a problem unit but I quess that possible with everything from Chinese manufacturers like topping, smsl.. that's just how these prices are made possible.
I don't understand what DAC you have

Sokel

Master Contributor

DSF DSD 64
DSF DSD 128
DSF DSD 256
DSF DSD 512
FLAC 24bit 88kHz
FLAC 24bit 96kHz
FLAC 24bit 176kHz
FLAC 24bit 192kHz
FLAC 24bit 352.8kHz
FLAC DXD 24bit 352kHz
Wav 24bit 768kHz
Wav 32bit 768kHz

Have you tried 48Khz DSD base rate files?
I'm curious if it plays that ones.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
After several days, I'm pretty pleased with my E70V. It's got a smooth, clear presentation that's similar to the D400EX. I haven't tried optical or RCA, but USB is good. I bumped it from 4V to 5V and set it on dac-only mode. I haven't heard the older E70, so can't comment on any differences/similarities. The E70V is a solid, no-frills dac at a decent price ($450 at Apos Audio).

EDIT: I should've noted that dac-only mode disables the rotary knob for volume adjustments. All other functions still work.

View attachment 252251
Can you define "smooth" and do you have any thought on those things that actually matter like construction quality, aesthetics, the available connections? Because right now you just said its just a DAC. Why would we get this one over any of the other DACs available on the market, or even Topping alone.

Sokel

Master Contributor
DSD a 48Khz ???????
There are two DSD "families".44.1Khz base rate and 48Khz ones.
The later is rare admittedly,I think I have one or two files but Multitone Analyzer has both options to test DAC,so it's easy to see.
For example Khadas tone1 doesn't play DSD 48Khz base rate files.
(you can also see it in DSD processor settings) :

DSD48.png

robertospeed

There are two DSD "families".44.1Khz base rate and 48Khz ones.
The later is rare admittedly,I think I have one or two files but Multitone Analyzer has both options to test DAC,so it's easy to see.
For example Khadas tone1 doesn't play DSD 48Khz base rate files.
(you can also see it in DSD processor settings) :

View attachment 258247
I don't use DSD Processor , I listen to DSDs natively and I don't do usampling

Snoopy

Major Contributor
And you are satisfied with SMSL D300 ?
Yeah. :) would have been nice if there had been more rohm chip DACs.
I use it mainly in my Bedroom with a smsl sp400 for headphones.

Don't need flavour filters either since I do all my EQ, dsp stuff in roon.

Top Bottom