• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet (AKM 4499EX)

drewdawg999

It's highly likely you'd never be able to tell a difference with DSD playback using the D-6 or E70V when properly level matched in a controlled test.

Not only that, I have 16bit/44kHz master recordings that absolutely spank many DSD masters in my collection. I don't look for a particular technology used in the recording, I just want the best recorded master whatever the format.

Regardless, just enjoy the D-6. It's a nice DAC for the money.
I did have trouble distinguishing between Opus 320 and DSD converted to PCM, using the ABX in foobar2000. But funny enough the Prd mode on the D-6 is slightly softer than the Pr0 mode. Yet I prefer it, smoother, more detailed and refined. At least that's what I hear in my room, don't care if it's placebo because it sounds incredible anyways. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, it's been many days of great pleasure.

Yes some DSD mastering is lackluster, I'm thinking of some of MFSL's recent efforts. But some Analogue Productions and SHM-SACDs are spectacular. I'm listening to this Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section and wow it sounds good. So involving, smooth, detailed, everything I like. Art Pepper's beautiful alto is recreated so realistically he's in the room with me, a wonderful sensation. The D-6 is a super bargain and I love it.

Reactions: GPJ

SYJ

Hi, I am interested in getting a E70 Velvet DAC. I currently have a Topping D90SE DAC. What is your opinion on this E70 velvet and how do you compare this to the D90SE DAC? Thanks.
I just got E70 V for two days, hence this is the initial thought. I still prefer D90LE/SE (I have both) sound. Maybe I am an ESS Sabre fan. Of all the DACs I have D90LE/SE are my most favorite (they sound the same). I also tried and still have Topping D70 Pro Octo. I think it sounds extremely good but I prefer D90LE/SE. I have Topping DX7 Pro Plus too, petty good, but D90LE/SE is better for me.

If you have D90SE, I don't think you will ever need another DAC. It is the BEST.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I just got E70 V for two days, hence this is the initial thought. I still prefer D90LE/SE (I have both) sound. Maybe I am an ESS Sabre fan. Of all the DACs I have D90LE/SE are my most favorite (they sound the same). I also tried and still have Topping D70 Pro Octo. I think it sounds extremely good but I prefer D90LE/SE. I have Topping DX7 Pro Plus too, petty good, but D90LE/SE is better for me.

If you have D90SE, I don't think you will ever need another DAC. It is the BEST.
The sound???
DACs do not suppose to have their own "sound" for decades now,they are are neutral as it gets unless someone mess with them,heavily.

And it doesn't matter if they have a 120db or 100db SINAD as long as the N part is inaudible.

Digi

Thanks for reaching out. How do you compare SMSL SU-10 vs Topping D90SE. I have the D90SE but thinking of getting myself another DAC. TIA.

aka_Z

You just need to burn-in your E70V a bit longer to become better than D90SE. Just don't burn velvet to ash :D

siwmad

I wonder if Amir will try the E70? I know there are Wolf's measurements, but I can read Amir better. I'm mainly interested in whether the Jitter problem with COAX has been removed. I ordered E70V and it will be here on Monday. I know that the USB input is the best, so I'm looking forward to the Wiim ultra (add USB out), and now it's listening with the Wiim Pro via COAX.

Top Bottom