• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8D39E471-60AC-49B9-82AB-74C042DAC075.jpeg

I received my E70 yesterday and set it up today. I have the E70 running in parallel with my E70 Velvet.

The Setup:
  • PiCorePlayer with embedded LMS on 2GB Raspberry Pi 4
  • Identical USB A to USB B cables on separate USB 3 ports
  • Topping E70 & Topping E70 Velvet both set to DAC mode, 4V output and default filter
  • Identical XLR cables
  • Benchmark HPA-4 preamp / headphone amp
  • Audeze LCD-3 headphones or ICEpower monoblock amps through Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary speakers
I planned to do a blind ABX test but have abandoned that plan. I can switch instantaneously between DACs using the HPA-4 remote. Sighted listening I can hear zero difference. Using pink noise there is zero distinguishable volume or frequency difference. I can hear no difference between the DACs on any song. I have concluded a blind test would be a waste of time because I would simply be guessing. There is no difference to identify.

This experience has me convinced there is absolutely no sonic difference between the AK4499EX and ES9028Pro chips.

I love the aesthetic of the new E70 DAC. The display is a 1000% improvement over the OLED used on the DX7 Pro. I’m keeping the E70 and returning the E70 Velvet for two reasons: 1. The ESS E70 is cheaper; and 2. The E70 Velvet Apos sent me looks like it was a customer return.

Martin

Burns

black e70 in my opinion is a bit childish. In addition, the knob in black is crooked and rubs against the housing

Attachments

• P_20230401_111203.jpg
    P_20230401_111203.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 228

Burns

Last edited:

anli

Hi. I'm going to replace SMSL D-6 with Topping E70. D-6 has got unpleasure bug - ti clicks loudly on source reconnection/connection to toslink or coaxial inputs. I'd want to be sure E70 hasn't got similar problems or any other problems for everyday using. Can you please list the main E70 drawbacks? (every device has got ones)

Burns

Hi. I'm going to replace SMSL D-6 with Topping E70. D-6 has got unpleasure bug - ti clicks loudly on source reconnection/connection to toslink or coaxial inputs. I'd want to be sure E70 hasn't got similar problems or any other problems for everyday using. Can you please list the main E70 drawbacks? (every device has got ones)
The equipment has no performance problems, and I tested several e70s in this thread.
Once I saw the front knob rubbing - crooked, another user reported a non-working BT internal or external antenna. Both damages appear to be transport damage.
There are also general issues reported for Topping that I don't understand, and I hope I never have to understand what I wrote in the link below:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d70s-fried-my-speakers.38706/

aka_Z

So far the only drawback is that auto input selection with the valid signal is not working. I was expecting to automatically switch to another valid input if the current one is disconnected. Right now I'm using only BT and USB, maybe that's the reason. Auto on/off function works as expected. I'm using DAC only mode (volume control is disabled).

Burns

So far the only drawback is that auto input selection with the valid signal is not working. I was expecting to automatically switch to another valid input if the current one is disconnected. Right now I'm using only BT and USB, maybe that's the reason. Auto on/off function works as expected. I'm using DAC only mode (volume control is disabled).
This device doesn't have such a function and Topping didn't promise it. It's your dream. If two sources give a signal, e.g. coax and spdif, how would the e70 know which one to choose?

The equipment has no performance problems, and I tested several e70s in this thread.
Once I saw the front knob rubbing - crooked, another user reported a non-working BT internal or external antenna. Both damages appear to be transport damage.
There are also general issues reported for Topping that I don't understand, and I hope I never have to understand what I wrote in the link below:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-d70s-fried-my-speakers.38706/
Hello! It doesn't look like transport damage. The box of my e70 was in perfect condition, and packed in damping material. And the e70 itself is lined with foam or something similar in the box

Burns

Hello! It doesn't look like transport damage. The box of my e70 was in perfect condition, and packed in damping material. And the e70 itself is lined with foam or something similar in the box
did you have a second factory Topping box protecting and foil on the first box?

Attachments

• P_20230405_195322.jpg
    P_20230405_195322.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 77
  • P_20230310_131354.jpg
    P_20230310_131354.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 81

rarewolf

This device doesn't have such a function and Topping didn't promise it. It's your dream. If two sources give a signal, e.g. coax and spdif, how would the e70 know which one to choose?

Correct. If the E70 is idle or in standby it will come on automatically if any connected input becomes alive, including turning on the amp if it’s triggered. However, it won’t switch to an other live input if the current input goes dead… least wise, not Bluetooth because Bt input might conceivably be alive without providing an input.

I turn on my stack usually with an input to SPDIF, and occasionally might turn to Bt if I want to watch a quick youtube video, but because the optical is still alive (paused) it won’t switch to Bt automatically. I’ll try turning it on tonight with a Bt input. If I don’t get back, or edit this post later, assume connecting to Bt was automatic and turns everything on… which it does (just tried it), and if disconnected, turns the stack off.

did you have a second factory Topping box protecting and foil on the first box?
Hello! Yes, outer box. And there was a flexible transparent polyethylene material, the surface of which is evenly covered with small protrusions filled with air. Unfortunately, I didn't take photos. I threw the wrappers in the trash. I don't see any problems with the BT defect, I use it with toslink (spdif) with Sony TV xh90 (I also tested with my LG TV nano866 2022 - everything is fine, although wrote here in the chat that there are problems with toslink on firmware 1.02), as well as USB with a computer, foobar2000. BT is also in my amp (AptxHD). A defect sometimes happens, no one is immune from it. Good luck to you!

Last edited:

aka_Z

Please read my post again with understanding. Hint: "I was expecting to automatically switch to another valid input if the current one is disconnected."

rarewolf

Please read my post again with understanding. Hint: "I was expecting to automatically switch to another valid input if the current one is disconnected."Your query is clear enough as long as you’re not including Bluetooth being alive. Mine turns off automatically, even if any of my devices are connected to the DAC’# Bt, which is sometimes the case when I quit listening to USB or SPDIF.

Your query is clear enough as long as you’re not including Bluetooth being alive. Mine turns off automatically, even if any of my devices are connected to the DAC’# Bt, which is sometimes the case when I quit listening to USB or SPDIF. Connecting to Bt when the E70 is in standby, however, will turn the DAC on.

IMHO, the behaviour is based on assumptions that I believe are generally correct…

aka_Z

Use case:
- E70V is in standby, BT previously used and remained selected
- turning on BT on the phone
- E70V is turning on, showing BT connected. Phone can stream music

- turning off BT on the phone
- E70V goes into standby after 1 minute

- turning on Nvidia Shield connected to E70V via USB
- E70V stays in standby

- turning on E70V with a remote, BT is blinking and will go back to standby after one minute even USB is active and Shield is playing something
- manually switching to USB, E70V happily showing 192kHz and plays music from the Shield

- shutting down Shield, E70V goes into standby mode after one minute

- turning BT on on my phone is not turning E70V on and not switching to the valid input, in this case BT.
- I have to manually switch to BT

I was expecting E70V will switch to "another valid input" but looks like either I misunderstood Topping or it's just not working. Not a big deal, otherwise device looks and sound beautifully :)

Burns

Use case:
- E70V is in standby, BT previously used and remained selected
- turning on BT on the phone
- E70V is turning on, showing BT connected. Phone can stream music

- turning off BT on the phone
- E70V goes into standby after 1 minute

- turning on Nvidia Shield connected to E70V via USB
- E70V stays in standby

- turning on E70V with a remote, BT is blinking and will go back to standby after one minute even USB is active and Shield is playing something
- manually switching to USB, E70V happily showing 192kHz and plays music from the Shield

- shutting down Shield, E70V goes into standby mode after one minute

- turning BT on on my phone is not turning E70V on and not switching to the valid input, in this case BT.
- I have to manually switch to BT

I was expecting E70V will switch to "another valid input" but looks like either I misunderstood Topping or it's just not working. Not a big deal, otherwise device looks and sound beautifully :)
The device has 4 inputs. Expanding the power and source management functions may cause the device to constantly turn on the next source and play a sound or beep when you are not at home. It could also turn off when some device in the background turns off, e.g. a computer via usb and you are still watching TV.

Think like a designer. USB=computer, spdif=TV, coax=internet radio. You turn off the computer. e70 and designer thought for you that you finished work, listening to music and went to the store. You left the computer, the e70 topping will turn off for you to save your electricity and money. You want the e70 to know if you're watching TV or listening to the radio. How is the e70 supposed to know that? It has no camera, no brain, what has higher priority? radio or tv? No sense.

To appreciate Topping you need to buy SMSL, there is no power management function and changing the source on the DO200/300 device requires going down to the 3rd level of the menu - hopeless.

Designer Topping didn't think of one thing and did it wrong and designer SMSL did it right. The SMSl emits the BT pairing signal only when the BT input is selected. In Topping, the pairing signal is emitted on each input, e.g. when you watch TV via Spdif. This is dangerous because a neighbor can connect to your e70.

Last edited:

anli

Have ordered E70 with guess a difference between E70 and E70v is far below any blind test resolution, even for any golden ears.

And what is your opinion?

Top Bottom