• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

tardik

I was a long time lurker, but wanted to add my experience to the thread. I ordered the E70 Velvet out of curiosity, as the price difference between the Velvet and non Velvet was just 40€. It replaced an M500 that was connected via XLR to an amplifier with speakers. Signal source is my Samsung TV (QN90A EU version) which I use to stream Tidal Hifi and sometimes my PC, both via toslink. I could not find a difference in sound between my old M500 MKII and the new E70 Velvet. However what I could hear that was new, were weird static noises. Whenever I move the cursor around in the TV's menu or change songs in Tidal, I can hear a disruptive clicking noise. That is also the reason why I plan to send the unit back and replace it with the non-AKM version.

funnychap

I was a long time lurker, but wanted to add my experience to the thread. I ordered the E70 Velvet out of curiosity, as the price difference between the Velvet and non Velvet was just 40€. It replaced an M500 that was connected via XLR to an amplifier with speakers. Signal source is my Samsung TV (QN90A EU version) which I use to stream Tidal Hifi and sometimes my PC, both via toslink. I could not find a difference in sound between my old M500 MKII and the new E70 Velvet. However what I could hear that was new, were weird static noises. Whenever I move the cursor around in the TV's menu or change songs in Tidal, I can hear a disruptive clicking noise. That is also the reason why I plan to send the unit back and replace it with the non-AKM version.
I have the Topping E70 (with ESS Sabre dac chip) and I use Apple Music lossless and Spotify. I don't get any weird static noises.
My connection is iPhone 12 Pro Max via wireless Airplay2 to Apple Airport Express, then via optical into the E70, then RCA to my speaker.

For hi-res lossless, my connection is iPhone 12 Pro Max via Apple lightning-to-camera USB adapter, then a 15' USB cord into the E70, then RCA to my speaker.

Last edited:

tardik

I have the Topping E70 (with ESS Sabre dac chip) and I use Apple Music lossless and Spotify. I don't get any weird static noises.
My connection is iPhone 12 Pro Max via wireless Airplay2 to Apple Airport Express, then via optical into the E70, then RCA to my speaker.

For hi-res lossless, my connection is iPhone 12 Prox Max via Apple lightning-to-camera USB adapter, then a 15' USB cord into the E70, then RCA to my speaker.
Good to hear, I hope my issue will be resolved with the ESS version too. Based off of the fact that my father had the same issues as I described via USB input from a PC with the Velvet version, it seems to me like the new AKM chips and their implementation does not seem to be perfectly executed yet (talking out of my ass here heh).

Burns

Good to hear, I hope my issue will be resolved with the ESS version too. Based off of the fact that my father had the same issues as I described via USB input from a PC with the Velvet version, it seems to me like the new AKM chips and their implementation does not seem to be perfectly executed yet (talking out of my ass here heh).
After my adventure with velvet, I also had the feeling that he was so underdeveloped. Over the cheaper e70 they sat longer, for example, because of the firmware 1.4

Snoopy

Major Contributor
After my adventure with velvet, I also had the feeling that he was so underdeveloped. Over the cheaper e70 they sat longer, for example, because of the firmware 1.4

And the E70 velvet has a DSD64 cutoff frequency of 19khz. so if you want more than that you need to upsample to DSD128-256.

tardik

What was your adeventure with the velvet? Did you encounter the same issue as I did?

to determine if the e70 has only the external antenna damaged, you can borrow the antenna from the smsl da-9 device that you have.
The antenna sockets should match and possibly the antennas are compatible as well.
You don't lose anything, you don't damage anything
SMSL has a BT male plug (topping has female plug), and the thread size is smaller than topping. BT antennas are not suitable, unfortunately. But for me this is not a problem, because I can send music via BT directly to amp SMSL DA-9. But AptxHD only, not LDAC

Last edited:

Burns

And the E70 velvet has a DSD64 cutoff frequency of 19khz. so if you want more than that you need to upsample to DSD128-256.
please explain what is the matter with the fact that velvet has no filters for the dsd format, although it plays it like e70 standard?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
please explain what is the matter with the fact that velvet has no filters for the dsd format, although it plays it like e70 standard?

The second post.

funnychap

I also tried the E70's bluetooth to my iPhone 12 Pro Max streaming Apple Music and it sounded great.

Burns

The second post.
i saw this review but what about the e70 standard if the cutoff frequencies are so high? I don't really understand how the DSD format works

Attachments

• IMG_20230329_142604.jpg
    IMG_20230329_142604.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 56

Snoopy

Major Contributor
i saw this review but what about the e70 standard if the cutoff frequencies are so high? I don't really understand how the DSD format works

Those are normal cutoff frequencies for DSD. That just means that everything over 47khz for example doesn't even make it to the amplifier.
(You couldn't hear it anyway)

DSD has lots of noise in the high frequency range. That you wouldn't be able to hear but would make no sense to send that to the amplifier and speakers.

SACD players used to have sometimes low cutoff frequencies as well but usually higher than 19khz.

The cutoff frequencies gets higher for the E70 velvet with higher DSD rates. So you would just have to upsample normal DSD files to DSD256.

The normal E70 uses a ESS chip.

Hapo

...so would this make for an effective preamp for, I don't know, say a Buckeye Audio NCx500 two channel amp, or are they still spontaneously blowing up systems...???...

Serg

With this kind of "near perfection" gear we are getting closer to the end of our hobby. The fun will be over soon.
I disagree... unless your hobby is merely interpreting measurements into diminishing returns (admittedly, I enjoy this to a degree as well)... how about we start pushing these companies to develop a better product related to user experience/customer service/durability? To do this, reviews MUST change their focus. Somewhere between .1 SINAD and "blacker backgrounds", lies: "This product works/looks great, measures extremely well, and is backed by a fantastic warranty and after sale support".

Edit: In hopes to not sound the least bit unappreciative in the preceding paragraph, I need to mention that this site is awesome... and Amir's (as well as other testers) work is nothing short of amazing. I've gone through most of the usual phases in this hobby (not cables, risers, etc.) and have finally found a place where things just make sense.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And did the return go well?

It's not a big deal that it's shipped from China. I was just naively expecting that Apos has a warehouse in the US, shipping from it and I will get the device in a few days. Even picked it up yesterday. Well, it is what it is :)
Everything I've ever bought from Apos, (and that's several items including DACs, amps, IEMs and DAPs) was shipped from California.

aka_Z

Good old times, now there are shipping from China :D Or, maybe Apos did me a favor? Requested to send me directly from China instead shipping first to them and then to me. It could be, they used express shipping without additional charge. In fact, they even gave me 5$ gift card. Great service so far :)

Burns

Good old times, now there are shipping from China :D Or, maybe Apos did me a favor? Requested to send me directly from China instead shipping first to them and then to me. It could be, they used express shipping without additional charge. In fact, they even gave me 5$ gift card. Great service so far :)
Weren't you supposed to write about sound and device instead of exciting adventures with transport companies and postmen?

Top Bottom