• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters
You really helped me figure out why!!! Thanx!!! When I put the phone on the e70, he immediately saw it on BT and connected. If I take the phone (more 5cm) from the e70, the connection is immediately disconnected. What would you recommend to do with the antenna?

It turns out the marriage of the BT antenna or the marriage of the antenna connection socket.
Very unpleasant for topping.

rarewolf

You really helped me figure out why!!! Thanx!!! When I put the phone on the e70, he immediately saw it on BT and connected. If I take the phone (more 5cm) from the e70, the connection is immediately disconnected. What would you recommend to do with the antenna?

It would appear you have a problem with the antenna, and because it’s easy to connect, the problem itself must be inside the unit. However, I, personally, would not suggest you get further involved and possibly void the warranty that would allow you to exchange the unit for another.

I suggest you contact the store you bought the unit from, tell them exactly what you have discovered, and ask for an exchange.

Burns

It turns out the marriage of the BT antenna or the marriage of the antenna connection socket.
the antenna is a piece of plastic with a wire inside. Maybe the wire broke. The antenna has a specific attenuation that Topping does not provide. Connecting any from the electronics store may not work. If the external antenna is damaged, the seller should send you a new one. The seller may not have such an antenna on site and it will not arrive from China soon. The easiest and fastest way to replace the entire device with another new one. Of course, I also do not recommend unscrewing new equipment under warranty because if something is permanently damaged inside, they will say that it is your fault because you unscrewed it.
In one word:
- replacement of the antenna with a new one at the seller
or
- replacement of the e70 device with a new one

Do not delete topping e70 - it's a super cool device. Each device can be damaged especially by transport.
You will replace it with a new one and you will be satisfied.

Антенна представляет собой кусок пластика с проводом внутри. Может провод оборвался. Антенна имеет определенное затухание, которое Топпинг не обеспечивает. Подключение любого из магазина электроники может не сработать. Если внешняя антенна повреждена, продавец должен выслать вам новую. У продавца такой антенны может не оказаться на месте и из Китая она приедет нескоро. Самый простой и быстрый способ заменить все устройство на другое новое. Я, конечно, тоже не рекомендую откручивать новое оборудование по гарантии, потому что, если внутри что-то безвозвратно повреждено, скажут, что это ваша вина, потому что вы его открутили.
Одним словом:
- замена антенны на новую у продавца
или
- замена аппарата е70 на новый

Не удаляйте топпинг е70 - супер крутой аппарат. Каждое устройство может быть повреждено, особенно при транспортировке.
Вы замените его на новый и останетесь довольны.
Thank you! I think it's hard to return and prove something. BT is in my amp smsl da-9. It just got a little annoying for new device. I checked the firmware version - v1.02. Thanks to everyone who helped me with the problem!!!

Burns

to determine if the e70 has only the external antenna damaged, you can borrow the antenna from the smsl da-9 device that you have.
The antenna sockets should match and possibly the antennas are compatible as well.
You don't lose anything, you don't damage anything

LugsyTL47

Who did u order from? I ordered my Topping E50 and E70 from Amazon which arrived in 2 days.

I went to my annual physical and had my ear wax removed and wow I now hear more brightness and listen at 6db lower.
To prevent future ear wax buildups, I ordered a water ear wax cleaning kit from Amazon.
I guess you’ll need to retest those 14x DACs after having ears plugged for a year

Burns

I guess you’ll need to retest those 14x DACs after having ears plugged for a year
1680004883701.jpeg

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear that. My velvet is getting closer, now it is in Fremont. It's circling around me but circles are getting smaller :D

Boy, I had this all wrong…

I woke up to two notices from DHL. My E70 Velvet was just delivered and my E70 has just shipped from Apos with delivery expected for this Friday. :) (My PIWIS 2 interface is stuck in customs in Miami. :()

So I’m going to compare my DX7 Pro to the E70 Velvet first, then it will be a battle of the E70’s.

Martin

Last edited:

Burns

Boy, I had this all wrong…

I woke up to two notices from DHL. My E70 Velvet was just delivered and my E70 has just shipped from Apos with delivery expected for this Friday. :) (My PIWIS 2 interface is stuck in customs in Miami. :()

So I’m going to compare my DX7 Pro to the E70 Velvet first, then it will be a battle of the E70’s.

Martin

NexusOne

Would you suscribe that Topping is too bright for planars? I ask because i read this very often. Perfect measurements which you cannot hear but too sterile, flat, dull tonality? E70+L70+Edition XS is a missmatch?

Burns

OK, unboxing:
S.M.S.L DO300

Attachments

• P_20230328_161450_1.jpg
    P_20230328_161450_1.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 83
  • P_20230328_161629.jpg
    P_20230328_161629.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

rarewolf

Would you suscribe that Topping is too bright for planars? I ask because i read this very often. Perfect measurements which you cannot hear but too sterile, flat, dull tonality? E70+L70+Edition XS is a missmatch?

Plenty of warmth coming from my Fostex T60 Argons, even from the Velvet…

MadMaxx

FWIW, my Velvet hasn't produced any audio I'd consider "bright" to my ears.

aka_Z

I got my E70V :) I could get it yesterday, two days earlier than scheduled but I didn't expect it and I wasn't at home. First I got a text that delivery will be between 3pm-5pm but the driver stopped by at 1:30pm. Then DHL called me and I said, I would be at home in a half hour if by any chance the driver can stop by again. After a couple hours of waiting and no text message, I decided to take a short walk after 5pm on a beautiful sunny day. Of course, driver stopped by when I was walking outside :D It was so ridiculous to find a notice on the door twice. I really feel sorry for the driver. Anyway, I got a text today, stayed at home, it's raining anyway, and the device arrived.

Respect to the box and packaging, it looks really premium. Device looks very premium too, white display, tempered glass, red detail on the volume knob...I quickly connected to my setup using XLR, set it to DAC only mode, active loudspeakers to 0dB, turned it on, paired with my phone and found out that it's using LDAC, 96kHz, 32 bit. My old DX3 pro was using aptX HD. Nice :)

Do I hear the difference? Surprisingly, I do :) It could be just an auto suggestion but I really hear sounds which I never heard before. Highs sound clearer, bass deeper and stronger... I really don't want to go into audiophile BS but it does sound different than DX3 Pro to me. Maybe it's just RCA vs XLR...

Old remote works but both remotes have terrible range. It works even worse than with DX3 Pro.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the E70 Velvet running in parallel with my DX7 Pro. I was doing some sighted listening through my HPA-4 and LCD-3 headphones and switching between the DACs using the HPA-4 remote is instantaneous. On many songs I could not tell a difference between them, on others I could. Then I tried pink noise which showed one was ever so slightly louder than the other. I don’t know which because I lost track of which DAC I had on which input. The difference is under 0.5dB but clearly audible. I’ll spend time with my multimeter level matching them tomorrow.

Martin

Burns

I got my E70V :) I could get it yesterday, two days earlier than scheduled but I didn't expect it and I wasn't at home. First I got a text that delivery will be between 3pm-5pm but the driver stopped by at 1:30pm. Then DHL called me and I said, I would be at home in a half hour if by any chance the driver can stop by again. After a couple hours of waiting and no text message, I decided to take a short walk after 5pm on a beautiful sunny day. Of course, driver stopped by when I was walking outside :D It was so ridiculous to find a notice on the door twice. I really feel sorry for the driver. Anyway, I got a text today, stayed at home, it's raining anyway, and the device arrived.

Respect to the box and packaging, it looks really premium. Device looks very premium too, white display, tempered glass, red detail on the volume knob...I quickly connected to my setup using XLR, set it to DAC only mode, active loudspeakers to 0dB, turned it on, paired with my phone and found out that it's using LDAC, 96kHz, 32 bit. My old DX3 pro was using aptX HD. Nice :)

Do I hear the difference? Surprisingly, I do :) It could be just an auto suggestion but I really hear sounds which I never heard before. Highs sound clearer, bass deeper and stronger... I really don't want to go into audiophile BS but it does sound different than DX3 Pro to me. Maybe it's just RCA vs XLR...

Old remote works but both remotes have terrible range. It works even worse than with DX3 Pro.
Silver is definitely prettier and sounds crystal clear ;) Let me remind you that the device in the setup has a very important 5V vs 4V setting and this should be selected to compare it with the DX3. For the duration of the tests, it can and should be connected via the same RCA outputs.

Top Bottom