• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

rarewolf

all Denon devices you mentioned are not pure DACs, they are integrated amplifiers or other integrated devices where the sound change is influenced by factors other than digital to analog conversion

Wouldn’t SPDIF outputs be representative of the DAC outputs, specifically coaxial?

Burns

Wouldn’t SPDIF outputs be representative of the DAC outputs, specifically coaxial?
probably yes if it gives a bit-perfect signal !

I have two receivers hidden in the basement. Denon avr 3801 and 3805. I will enter them with a 192kHz spdif signal and exit via spdif to topping e70 to show what it measures. I will let you know the result of this test.

On the other hand, it makes no sense. Run the signal from one DAC (Denon) to another DAC (e70). You need to know the PCB circuit diagram. Chances are that the spdif input and output may be a simple 1:1 wired transmission. It can be a simple splitter without signal processing. I have no idea how to actually check this.

It is possible that the input must be different from the output. Coax input is spdif output or vice versa.

I don't know, maybe I'm too stupid for so many components...

Last edited:

aka_Z

Both my E70 and E70 Velvet are in Miami.
After spending two days in LA, mine finally moved today but missed me and ended in SF :D Now it's stuck with status: "Scheduled to depart on the next planned movement". My guess is it will be moved to the closest office and then be out for delivery. I will probably get it in my hands on Tuesday to Wednesday.

How long do I need to burn-in it? :D

Burns

After spending two days in LA, mine finally moved today but missed me and ended in SF :D Now it's stuck with status: "Scheduled to depart on the next planned movement". My guess is it will be moved to the closest office and then be out for delivery. I will probably get it in my hands on Tuesday to Wednesday.

all the exciting emotions associated with the purchase to hear absolutely no difference. Priceless emotions. then nothing at all, nothing for a long time, to again: all these exciting emotions related to the purchase, to hear absolutely no difference. Priceless emotions. Buying another DAC and another DAC and so on.

funnychap

Who did u order from? I ordered my Topping E50 and E70 from Amazon which arrived in 2 days.
all the exciting emotions associated with the purchase to hear absolutely no difference. Priceless emotions. then nothing at all, nothing for a long time, to again: all these exciting emotions related to the purchase, to hear absolutely no difference. Priceless emotions. Buying another DAC and another DAC and so on.
I went to my annual physical and had my ear wax removed and wow I now hear more brightness and listen at 6db lower.
To prevent future ear wax buildups, I ordered a water ear wax cleaning kit from Amazon.

aka_Z

This topic is full of your "priceless" posts :D
Who did u order from? I ordered my Topping E50 and E70 from Amazon which arrived in 2 days.
From Apos, because they have spring sale, their office is close to me and I was naively expecting that I could pick it up. Then a few days later, Apos told me that the warehouse in China is out of stock, then a few days later was shipped. After all, it will take about a week to get it. Not a big deal :)

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Bit-perfect is a nonsense term, my Audiolab M-Dac was 'bit perfect' though all 3 DAC's I have owned since sound far superior, Topping E70, SMSL M400 and Gustard.
Bit-perfect is not a word that's used to describe hardware though.
It describes the audio transmission from your source device to the DAC.

rarewolf

Bit-perfect is not a word that's used to describe hardware though.
It describes the audio transmission from your source device to the DAC.

For example, the original PCM is no longer “bitperfect” if you allowed your source to change the volume or apply EQ…

Edit: (Welcome!) Translated by moderator. Please translate before posting going forward. Thank you!

I am a new member. Tell me, please, how to see the firmware version of the e70 topping? I saw that they posted firmware V1.03. But I don't know how to install it. Can someone explain to me how to do this? And I can't connect my phone via BT. I just don't see it in the list of devices - E70 (tried with two phones). After several hours of torment, the phone saw the E70, but writes that the device does not allow connection. I would be very grateful if someone could help

Last edited:

funnychap

Поздравления всем. Я новый член. Подскажите, пожалуйста, как посмотреть версию прошивки топинга е70? Я видел, что выложили прошивку V1.03. Но я не знаю, как его установить. Может кто-нибудь объяснит мне, как это сделать? И я не могу подключить свой телефон через BT. Просто не вижу в списке устройств - E70 (пробовал с двумя телефонами). После нескольких часов мучений телефон увидел Е70, но пишет, что устройство не разрешает подключение. Буду очень признателен, если кто-то сможет помочь
On the Topping E70, change the input to bluetooth.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Turns out I was mistaken. My E70 will be here this week. My E70 Velvet will arrive after April 20. The second DHL shipment I assumed was the E70 Velvet is actually a PIWIS 2 interface also coming from Shenzhen, China. Darn.

Martin

Burns

Edit: (Welcome!) Translated by moderator. Please translate before posting going forward. Thank you!

Congratulations to everyone. I am a new member. Tell me, please, how to see the firmware version of the e70 topping? I saw that they posted firmware V1.03. But I don't know how to install it. Can someone explain to me how to do this? And I can't connect my phone via BT. I just don't see it in the list of devices - E70 (tried with two phones). After several hours of torment, the phone saw the E70, but writes that the device does not allow connection. I would be very grateful if someone could help
install the driver for Windows, which works at the hour, when you pick it up on the desktop, the last tab will show you the firmware version. Probably 1.02. The latest is 1.04 linked in this topic. Instructions on how to do this are included in the *.bin file. In a moment I will link you again and write about BT

BT:
- it must be enabled in the configuration menu, you turn off the device with the switch on the back of the device, keep the front knob pressed (do not let go) and turn on the switch on the back of the device. Pressing the knob moves to the next parameter, turning it changes the setting. To confirm the menu, hold the knob in the front longer until 8-8 appears = saved. The parameters are described in the instruction table.
- to connect the phone with the e70, you must select the BT source with the touch button on the front (BT flashes on the display). From my observations, if you do not pair your phone with the device in less than a minute, you must turn off and turn on the DAC e70 again. More than a minute, pairing may be rejected despite the active BT flashing, but this is how most BT devices work, that pairing is active after startup if there is no force pairing button, so that neighbors do not connect later. This is how, for example, FM transmitters via BT for the car work.
- the device can be restarted to factory settings, in standby mode, turn the front knob to the left several times. (BT factory settings is active by default) Maybe you got used devices and someone filled out the pairing list (I don't know the number, but usually it's 10 devices)

Last edited:

aka_Z

Turns out I was mistaken. My E70 will be here this week. My E70 Velvet will arrive after April 20. The second DHL shipment I assumed was the E70 Velvet is actually a PIWIS 2 interface also coming from Shenzhen, China. Darn.

Martin
Sorry to hear that. My velvet is getting closer, now it is in Fremont. It's circling around me but circles are getting smaller :D

Burns

Sorry to hear that. My velvet is getting closer, now it is in Fremont. It's circling around me but circles are getting smaller :D
exciting, ;)
hurry up,
hurry the postman, ;)
How long do I have to wait for your sensations? ;)

установите драйвер для винды, который работает в час, когда вы поднимите его на рабочий стол, последняя вкладка покажет вам версию прошивки. Скорее всего 1.02. Последняя версия 1.04 связана в этой теме. Инструкции о том, как это сделать, содержатся в файле *.bin. Через мгновение я снова свяжу вас и напишу о БТ.

БТ:
- она должна быть включена в меню конфигурации, выключаете устройство выключателем на задней панели устройства, держите переднюю ручку нажатой (не отпуская) и включаете выключатель на задней панели устройства. Нажатие ручки приводит к переходу к следующему параметру, вращение изменяет настройку. Чтобы подтвердить меню, удерживайте ручку на передней панели дольше, пока не появится 8-8 = сохранено. Параметры описаны в таблице инструкций.
- для подключения телефона к e70 необходимо выбрать источник BT сенсорной кнопкой на передней панели (на дисплее мигает BT). По моим наблюдениям, если вы не сопрягаете свой телефон с устройством менее чем за минуту, вы должны выключить и снова включить DAC e70. Больше минуты сопряжение может быть отклонено несмотря на активную прошивку BT, но так работает большинство устройств BT, что сопряжение активно после запуска, если нет кнопки принудительного сопряжения, чтобы соседи потом не подключились. Вот так, например, работают FM-трансмиттеры через BT для автомобиля.
- устройство можно перезагрузить до заводских настроек, в режиме ожидания несколько раз повернуть переднюю ручку влево. (заводские настройки BT активны по умолчанию) Возможно вам достались б/у устройства и кто-то заполнил список сопряжения (количество не знаю, но обычно это 10 устройств)

Thank you! My English is bad. I write with translator, I hope you understand me. I am very sorry.
I'm waiting for information about the Bluetooth connection from You.
Of course I choose BT mode. I also hold down the brightness button for 3 seconds. This clears out previous pairings. 0 effects.
But in about an hour of trying, only once the e70 showed up, but could not connect BT with my phone. Also through the settings I tried to disable/enable BT.
Optical (toslink) work, USB work, coaxial didn't try.
May be hard reset, help me

Burns

Thank you! My English is bad. I write with translator, I hope you understand me. I am very sorry.
Of course I choose BT mode. I also hold down the brightness button for 3 seconds. This clears out previous pairings. 0 effects.
But in about an hour of trying, only once the e70 showed up, but could not connect BT with my phone. Also through the settings I tried to disable/enable BT.
I edited my above message and you have everything about BT in three dashes.
Did you screw the antenna to the back of the device? Fix the screwing of the antenna again! Maybe the Antenna is damaged. Keep your phone on the device. No further than 5cm from the e70, if the antenna is damaged, the phone will be able to handle it without the antenna below 5cm.
The Antenna socket is connected to the main PCB with a 3cm cable inside the device. Maybe it got disconnected in transit.
If you have the courage, you can look inside, just unscrew the two extreme screws on the right and left side. But do not open it more than 3cm or you will tear the tape from the display.

in this link you have a preview of the interior of the topping e70

rarewolf

Whenever I have problems with my tablet or smartphone not connecting Bluetooth with my Topping DAC it is generally because some other device has already connected with it(?)

Я отредактировал свое сообщение выше, и у вас есть все о BT в трех тире.
Вы прикрутили антенну к задней части устройства? Исправить снова завинчивание антенны! Возможно, антенна повреждена. Держите телефон на устройстве. Не дальше 5см от е70, если антенна повреждена, телефон без антенны справится ниже 5см.
Гнездо антенны подключается к основной печатной плате кабелем длиной 3 см внутри устройства. Возможно, он отключился в пути.
Если хватит смелости, то можно заглянуть внутрь, достаточно открутить два крайних винта с правой и левой стороны. Но не открывайте его более чем на 3 см, иначе вы оторвете ленту от дисплея.

по этой ссылке у вас есть превью интерьера топпинга е70

Top Bottom