• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

capdec

Has anyone done a direct comparison between the E70 with the Sabre chip and the E70v with the AKM? Which sounds less warmer and more analytical ( if there is even such a thing! )

Trell

Major Contributor
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the E70 with the Sabre chip and the E70v with the AKM? Which sounds less warmer and more analytical ( if there is even such a thing! )

There is no such thing.

HIFIBOY

IMG_20230205_215738_edit_988323382377315.jpg

IMG_20230205_193446_edit_988894415727749.jpg

I received the E70(9028Pro) and updated it with the latest firmware 1.03. It's small but sounds great!

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouKnow

Loving the E70 and L70. Functionality is superb. I wish Topping and SMSL would finally embrace HDMI and branch into the DSP-intensive arena of desktop audio, such as virtual surround processing.

R.Vic

Please tell me, who has active monitors, how many decibels do you lower the volume with the DAC encoder?
I'm afraid that lowering will be too much and the dynamic range will suffer a lot. I used to have a teac-301 with the volume knob set to 9 o'clock... But it was analog.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Please tell me, who has active monitors, how many decibels do you lower the volume with the DAC encoder?
I'm afraid that lowering will be too much and the dynamic range will suffer a lot. I used to have a teac-301 with the volume knob set to 9 o'clock... But it was analog.
You could do a combo. Do not max out the volume on the active monitors and then look for a the right volume with the DAC. Start at zero obviously..

R.Vic

You could do a combo. Do not max out the volume on the active monitors and then look for a the right volume with the DAC. Start at zero obviously..
Probably my monitors (quested vs2108) are very sensitive, because with their minimum volume (-18 dB) on the old DAC the volume was at 9 o'clock.

MadMaxx

I use a pair of Adam Audio A7V actives with my E70V. I set the dac to 5 volts and dac-only mode. For volume control, run it, the speakers and subwoofer through a Drawmer CMC2 monitor controller. My Adams are set at 0 db. It all works quite well for me.

R.Vic

I use a pair of Adam Audio A7V actives with my E70V. I set the dac to 5 volts and dac-only mode. For volume control, run it, the speakers and subwoofer through a Drawmer CMC2 monitor controller. My Adams are set at 0 db. It all works quite well for me.
Yes, but such devices severely damage the original DAC sound. For example your controller:
CROSSTALK L/R- 1kHz >80dB
THD & NOISE- unity gain 0dBu input 0,002%

In that case, I'd rather output the sound directly from the audio card.

MadMaxx

Yes, but such devices severely damage the original DAC sound. For example your controller:

I read about/researched different monitor controllers for weeks before choosing the CMC2. I never read anything or spoke to anyone who even hinted that it severely damages the original dac sound. I don't hear any kind of degraded sound since adding it to my system. It just provides a clean, easy to use interface for my gear.

Any full picture with inside of the E70, E70 velvet ?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Good luck hearing either of those.

R.Vic

Good luck hearing either of those.
For example -80 dB crosstalk is pretty bad, and under the right conditions the distortion it introduces can be heard. But only in comparison. Without comparison, of course, you will not hear anything terrible, but also the proper quality.
There are plugins emulating crosstalk - you can experiment...

Top Bottom