• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

Snoopy

Major Contributor
It's already packed up for the return trip to Apos Audio. Time to focus on my next dac. Right now, the leading candidate is the SU-9 Pro. I'm not interested in spending more than $500 on a dac.
I've read plenty of posts about the Su-9 having problems with USB handshakes especially with Mac's and Linux streamers. I would avoid that series.

MadMaxx

I've read plenty of posts about the Su-9 having problems with USB handshakes especially with Mac's and Linux streamers. I would avoid that series.
Thanks for the tip!

MadMaxx

Never had to return a Dac yet, are you sure the DAC's are at fault ?

Always easier to assume the 'new' product must be source (lol) of the fault.
The left channel failed on my D400EX after 3 weeks. Before that, I was very happy the dac. My E70V worked quite well until it started shutting down on its own, last week. Factory resets and trying different inputs/outputs didn't work for either dac. If you can find a user error fault in those 2 scenarios, let's hear it.

indi

I just bought this E70 and played for a week, thats make my life much easier then before.
I was used Gustard X16 and need to power on/off and select input each time. Source is using iodata soundgenic, XLR to Luxman int amp with Elac 407.
E70 sounds is very clear and wide, using default PCM DSD filter, its typical ess sounds. The wireless (BT) sounds impress me. I just using iphone playing youtube music and connect to E70, it will automatic turn on and play. Disconnect it from my phone, it will auto turn off. even using soundgenic via USB and playing movie from TV via optical out, one word..."easy!!". For optical out, i have updated the firmware to 1.04 thats thanks for this post !

Pros: 1. its small and light weight
2. Sounds good enough (only my feelings)
3. auto power on/off
4. BT sounds good (much better then many dac with BT)
Cons: 1. looks low end
2. too light, need to use heavy things resolve resonance
3. volume knob no use for me

NexusOne

Does anyone know why Most of the DACs have usb-b instead of usb-c? Isn‘t usb c better for Smartphones?

While i think I could replace My sh-9 through the l70, it is Not necessary to replace My Smsl d6.

What do you mean? The measurements are a Bit better and the Look in combination with the l70 is better but which advantages does the e70 have? Better bluetooth? Sound? Nothing which justifies a change? Difficult decision.

Is it possible to Control the e70 and l70 with one remote or is there a conflict between the Geo remotes because it is the Same product?

jmillar

With this kind of "near perfection" gear we are getting closer to the end of our hobby. The fun will be over soon.
The power amp revolution is now raging. And speakers still have a lot of dinosaur DNA. A great time for fun and science. :)

NexusOne

With usb-c you have more options (to lightning and so on) Higher durability? Is that true? And with one remote i can controll both products? The remote is the same which is a disadvantage. I think I will wait fore the test of the E70V. The D6 should be good enough.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Higher durability? Is that true?
Type-C:
USB-C_plug,_focus_stacked.jpg

Type-B:
Bel-Steward-Connector-img-stw-type-b-connector-ss-52300-001.jpg

The spring contacts on the new connector are 20% the size of the Type-B contacts and there are 24 of them stuffed inside instead of just four.

Endibol

Forum Donor
The power amp revolution is now raging. And speakers still have a lot of dinosaur DNA. A great time for fun and science. :)
You are right, I put too much emphasis on DAC's.. DAC's are ready in the sense that there won't be any audible improvement anymore. For power amps there is probably still substantial room for improvement.. Will class D in the coming years completely take over and make class A and A/B obsolete technology? And you probably mean that active speakers will push out the passive designs? This is very likely true. So yes, still enough to test and discuss. I hope that we will see more and more emphasis on testing amps and speakers on ASR in future.

MadMaxx

You are right, I put too much emphasis on DAC's.. DAC's are ready in the sense that there won't be any audible improvement anymore. For power amps there is probably still substantial room for improvement.. Will class D in the coming years completely take over and make class A and A/B obsolete technology? And you probably mean that active speakers will push out the passive designs? This is very likely true. So yes, still enough to test and discuss. I hope that we will see more and more emphasis on testing amps and speakers on ASR in future.
I made the switch to active speakers after 15+ years with passives like PSB, DefTech, Klipsch, JBL, and LS50 Metas. I should've done it sooner. I'm thoroughly impressed with my Adam Audio A7V actives.

Endibol

Forum Donor
I made the switch to active speakers after 15+ years with passives like PSB, DefTech, Klipsch, JBL, and LS50 Metas. I should've done it sooner. I'm thoroughly impressed with my Adam Audio A7V actives.
I am very happy with my passive Revel F228Be speakers… driven by Benchmark HBA2..

NexusOne

To buy a Smsl su-10 or topping d90se is like burning Money because they are more expensive but Not better?

The e70 is an Upgrade From the Smsl d6?

staticV3

Master Contributor
To buy a Smsl su-10 or topping d90se is like burning Money because they are more expensive but Not better?

The e70 is an Upgrade From the Smsl d6?
The D-6 is audibly transparent. That means it exceeds what the human ear can perceive.
Spending more for even less noise and distortion is a waste of money. Better to spend it elsewhere.

R.Vic

Is the volume control knob on these DACs digital or analog?
Probably, unfortunately, digital...

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Chinese sell in US dollars (the set price), whatever is the exchange rate at the time is the UK price, the UK price is not 'set'.

Exchange rates are a two way street, the value of the Euro and the Japanese Yen have also plummeted recently against the US Dollar, because the Dollar is currently very strong.

The U.S. Dollar Index, which measures the greenback against a basket of other currencies, is up more than 17% so far this year.

Can we leave politics and world economics out of this thread please.

Not politics.
Economic facts, true.

It is completely on topic and has everything to do with the pricing of this item.

Thanks DT

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Hello All,

I think that it is interesting that we have not seen the amplifier(s) in active speakers tested.

Thanks DT

Top Bottom