• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

krappo

Very odd, indeed. I hate that popping sound. It always makes me think something is going to blow or break. Did you buy it from Apos Audio? They're great with returns and replacements.
Addicted to audio :)

Bel Canto

Ive tried that but still persists. It does not seem to matter what input, only when i use xlrs for output, my previous 2 dacs were hooked up with the same xlr cable but no pops, Very odd :(

If you look back through this thread there have been a few comments about popping sound when using xlr outputs. Are you able to try with rca and see if it happens from that output. May be an issue with the xlr's.

krappo

If you look back through this thread there have been a few comments about popping sound when using xlr outputs. Are you able to try with rca and see if it happens from that output. May be an issue with the xlr's.
Its ok with rca outputs, only when i use XLR to rca cable connected to audio engines, rca out to speakers are ok. :)
Many Thanks

NewBornold

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping E70 stereo USB DAC with Bluetooth. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $349.
View attachment 243627
I really like the new white multi-segment display with its large volume level indicator. Response is excellent as you rotate the encoder. A select button on the left turns on the unit and then selects the input in sequence. Or you can use the included remote control:
View attachment 243628
Nice to see 12 volt trigger being a standard feature on new Topping products, allowing you to turn on one unit and have it turn on the others like amplifiers automatically.

The output can be programmed to be nominal 4 volts (default) or 5 volts. I focused on testing the former.

Edit: forgot to mention that you have independent control over the outputs. You can have either RCA or XLR active or both.

I had a minor compatibility issue with USB input defaulting to 16 bits instead of 24 bit as far as Windows is concerned. I was able to easily override this using Topping ASIO driver. I wonder if this is something to do with my system or a new thing with this DAC. Operation was otherwise flawless.

EDIT: above is fixed with a firmware update: https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/778017.html

Topping E70 Measurements
Let's start with our usual balanced output measurement:
View attachment 243629

I expect superb performance from Topping and that is exactly what we have, landing the E70 near the very top of the best DACs ever tested:
View attachment 243630

Distortion is incredibly low at -145 dB or so. SINAD as a result is dominated by the noise of the DAC combined with my analyzer:
View attachment 243632

Even using RCA outs we get full audible transparency:

View attachment 243633

I have modified my THD+N vs output level to show broader range:
View attachment 243634
As noted though, as you reduce output, the analyzer noise becomes more dominant as well so above is not a true picture of the DAC's performance.

Multitone performance is superb as expected:
View attachment 243635

Likewise for IMD distortion:
View attachment 243636

Linearity is perfect of course:
View attachment 243637

Jitter is now nicely handled across both older S/PDIF and new USB interfaces:
View attachment 243638

As usual you have a menu of DAC reconstruction filters but I suggest staying with default filter 3:
View attachment 243639
View attachment 243640

The excellent attenuation of the filter translates into great wide-band distortion+noise measurement vs frequency:

View attachment 243641

Conclusions
The E70 is another meticulously engineered DAC from Topping at a reasonable price. The bright and large display is great to read from far, making the DAC just as suitable for general 2-channel system as well as desktop. Nice add-ons such as trigger support, auto on/off, etc. complete the picture of a DAC approaching and essentially achieving perfection.

It is my pleasure to add Topping E70 DAC to my recommended list.
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Is there a audioble diference between this and the E50?
Thanks
/Marcus

mj30250

Extremely amateur question:

If I'm connecting the E70 to a Win 10 PC via USB, use the XLR ports to plug in 2 active studio monitors, and want to use a powered sub such as the Monolith 10" V2 (only 1 XLR input/output and 2 unbalanced inputs), how would I connect it?

MadMaxx

If I'm connecting the E70 to a Win 10 PC via USB, use the XLR ports to plug in 2 active studio monitors, and want to use a powered sub such as the Monolith 10" V2 (only 1 XLR input/output and 2 unbalanced inputs), how would I connect it?
Can you run a pair of RCA cables from the E70 into the RCA inputs on the sub? Then set the E70 for XLR and RCA and see if that works. Another option would be to get an audio interface like a Drawmer CMC2 and connect the E70, monitors and sub to it. At $360, the CMC2 ain't cheap, though.

Last edited:

mj30250

Can you run a pair of RCA cables from the E70 into the RCA inputs on the sub? Then set the E70 for XLR and RCA and see if that works.
Physically sure, but would that basically offer plug and play functionality?

Here is the rear panel of the sub in question:

1673318602427.png

Thanks.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning

You have two posibilitys: 1. The E70 has an output switch with 3 positions, XLR. RCA. and both!
2. Or you buy an XLR spliter cable not so expensive. to have fully XLR connection.

RustyGates

Now there is the E70 Velvet, is there any reason why anyone would spend an extra $350 USD for the D90LE when you can get the very latest top shelf offering from AKM, the AK4499EXEQ chipset, in a DAC, for so much less.

BR52

Now there is the E70 Velvet, is there any reason why anyone would spend an extra $350 USD for the D90LE when you can get the very latest top shelf offering from AKM, the AK4499EXEQ chipset, in a DAC, for so much less.
Compare the measurements and functionality. Add the E70 to the comparison. The "old E70" vs. Velvet last top" will surprise you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Objectively, the E70 Velvet is worse.

Realistically, the D90LE and E70 Velvet will sound exactly the same.

But then again, so will an E30 II or Modi+ or similar.

RustyGates

Compare the measurements and functionality. Add the E70 to the comparison. The "old E70" vs. Velvet last top" will surprise you.

$350 for I2S and tube simulation... Price diff becomes $450 USD when comparing to standard E70.

As for measurements d90le/se v e70/e70v - negligible.

BR52

$350 for I2S and tube simulation... Price diff becomes $450 USD when comparing to standard E70.

As for measurements d90le/se v e70/e70v - negligible.
As a time before mentioned, the E70 measures slightly better compared to the Velvet. And in preamp mode you have a real turn knob, not up and down push buttons, so you can go with $450.

sambol

Physically sure, but would that basically offer plug and play functionality?

Here is the rear panel of the sub in question:

View attachment 256176
Thanks.
I have a similar setup, the RCA out drives the Focal Shape, the XLR out is connected to the KRK S8.4. The only difference is that I use L70 in preamp mode, not E70.

Top Bottom