• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry, just re read your post.

The 1.04 firmware update is for the E70 ( ESS chip) I have installed it on mine and it's fine.

I have asked if it functions on the E70 Velvet (AKM chip). The prefix ( V ) on the firmware version causes confusion.
Thank you so much
BR

chillwig

Sorry, just re read your post.

The 1.04 firmware update is for the E70 ( ESS chip) I have installed it on mine and it's fine.

I have asked if it functions on the E70 Velvet (AKM chip). The prefix ( V ) on the firmware version causes confusion.
Did the email you received link to only a Windows package for 1.04, or was there a Mac loader too?

I always thought that v.NNN was pretty standard convention for software version updates but maybe it's deprecated now.

BR52

Chinese Export - l
The European importer is responsible that the product is following the European rules. For this reason, I buy from a "European in market bringer" Is more expensive, but you have two years warranty and easy give back rules for internet buy. Sometimes is not bad to live here.

BR52

The only way I knew about firmware revision 1.04 is because another member posted it on this thread # 409
The link posted only has a Windows loader.

There is a Mac loader for firmware 1.03

https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/778017.html
The link you posted shows no ownership, hopefully is original Topping. Was the link mailed from Topping to you? Or was it only copied from post # 409

BR52

If we compare L7 measurement with ASR here from the E70, we can see a not marginal difference. Some ideas? noise?

1666692066-THDN-Ratio-vs-Freq.jpgTopping_20E70_20Stereo_20USB_20DAC_20Bluetooth_20Balance_006.png
Topping_20E70_20Stereo_20USB_20DAC_20Bluetooth_20Balance_007.png
1666692035-12K.jpgTopping_20E70_20Stereo_20USB_20DAC_20Bluetooth_20Balance_007.png

Last edited:

misterdog

The link you posted shows no ownership, hopefully is original Topping. Was the link mailed from Topping to you? Or was it only copied from post # 409
Yes, and no, and yes.

Here is the entire exchange.

Hi, I have just purchased an E70 DAC, many thanks for a great product.

I have upgraded the firmware with the 1.03 download from your website.
Someone has posted a link on Audio Science Review to a 1.04 firmware,
though this is not listed on your site yet.

Could you confirm that this is genuine and what it is for please.

This is the link he posted.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Iwp4hhrM1GvptI9PpsgWnCy6yguFDcb6/view

The reply.

Dear Paul

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

Yes, it is genuine.

E70 V1.04:
Add bandwidth setting in setup menu (B-5)
Customized settings from 5 to 15 (default: 5)
The larger the number is, the stronger the range to adapt to jitter, and the smaller the number, the better the performance against clock jitter.

Adaboy4z

I'm using the 12v trigger out on the E70 in on the L70 works fine. But If I switch it does nothing. Is that normal?

BR52

Yes, and no, and yes.

Here is the entire exchange.

The reply.
Dear Paul,
Apologize for my mistrust, there are so many things on the internet...... Later you have a mining algorithm in your system or so. I know here not possible.But...
Thank you
so much for your help.
Bernd

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Dear Paul,
Apologize for my mistrust, there are so many things on the internet...... Later you have a mining algorithm in your system or so. I know here not possible.But...
Thank you
so much for your help.
Bernd
I thought the same as you and I don’t install anything from links like this, unless personally verified by me that the link is genuine (as @misterdog did).

Topping should have an official site where one can download drivers and firmware, but they seem fine with using Google drive links instead. If that link is just to some specified users for testing, that is OK, but otherwise a good reason to not buy Topping devices in my view.

misterdog

Topping should have an official site where one can download drivers and firmware, but they seem fine with using Google drive links instead.

Like this one for example where 'downloads' have their own page ?

The 1.04 upgrade is still not listed, but it is an enhanced feature, where the 1.03 is listed because the device had an issue.
I had a minor compatibility issue with USB input defaulting to 16 bits instead of 24 bit as far as Windows is concerned.

The only reason a Google drive link appeared, was because that is how a user on here posted it.

Todays response from Topping.

Hi,

No, the firmware of E70 cannot be flashed to E70V. >.<

Best Regards

I can see some seeing E70 V 1.03 as an update for their 'Velvet' version though...
I suspect the loader will not work with the 'Velvet' version, maybe I should buy one to try it :)

BR52

The 1.04 is for spdif / coax problems. TV...... not an upgrade.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
I thought the same as you and I don’t install anything from links like this, unless personally verified by me that the link is genuine (as @misterdog did).

Topping should have an official site where one can download drivers and firmware, but they seem fine with using Google drive links instead. If that link is just to some specified users for testing, that is OK, but otherwise a good reason to not buy Topping devices in my view.
There's nothing wrong with a company sharing downloads via any download mechanism they choose as long as they publicize the link on a secure (https) site they control, and ideally with a checksum value displayed on the same page you can verify before using it.

It's this "here's a link, you can trust me" mindset that's the problem.

Trell

Major Contributor
There's nothing wrong with a company sharing downloads via any download mechanism they choose as long as they publicize the link on a secure (https) site they control, and ideally with a checksum value displayed on the same page you can verify before using it.

It's this "here's a link, you can trust me" mindset that's the problem.

Sure, that works fine.

chillwig

Man I just love being able to clearly see the sampling rate in all its big, white, segmented glory from my listening position. It's also so nice being able to confirm the input and output at a glance too. I never understood the "black box" design choices where you get no visual feedback and just trust it.

I tried it at both 4v and 5v, and I much preferred the way preamp volume functioned at lower levels at 4v.

Also IJWTS that my unit came wrapped really well for shipment from CN. And Topping's packaging makes for a great unboxing experience - it does not feel "cheap" in my experience. Well designed double-box, with accessories were appropriately packed and stored. Glossy surfaces were protected with plastic sheeting. All protruding connectors (RCA, BT, etc) had vinyl caps on them. Silica gel packet. Every detail seemed thoughtfully executed.

Also I can't really say whether it sounds better than my DACMagic 200M. It's dark and quiet like I like it, though.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Top Bottom