• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's £345 and $419 (USD) using XE.com, so actually cheaper than the UK!

$350 USD is the same as £288, so why is it the most expensive here?

Because we enjoy a 'free' health service :) while in the USA it would cost you a minimum of $ 7700 per annum as an individual.

The USA has little if any sales tax in most States, where we have 20% VAT.

£ 288 here, taxes and shipping included. Though Paypal fees/exchange rate adds around £10

https://hifigo.com/products/topping-e70?variant=43527230849263

Delivery takes around 2 weeks, mine is on it's way.

Stick it in your basket and leave it overnight they will give you a 10 $ discount, on your first purchase.

Last edited:

misterdog

Obsoleted in the sense of losing support from the manufacturer as well as resale value for the users.

Though in years to come they might become collectors items worth a fortune ;)

DualTriode

Because we enjoy a 'free' health service :) while in the USA it would cost you a minimum of $ 7700 per annum as an individual.

Not true, health care is never free.

I pay for my health care and for the entitled person standing in line ahead of me.

Human Bass

So i found a video with a skip in the audio. I tested the E70, D30pro and the optical direct to the speakers and the skip remained the same in all cases, so it was really from the video, no dac fault.

Well, for now I'm glad

misterdog

LG TV's are notorious for sound issues into DAC's.
I can only presume, that they assume any serious AV enthusiast would be using HDMI out for sound and provide only basic output elsewhere, full of jitter.

Kane1972

£ 288 here, taxes and shipping included. Though Paypal fees/exchange rate adds around £10

https://hifigo.com/products/topping-e70?variant=43527230849263

Delivery takes around 2 weeks, mine is on it's way.

Stick it in your basket and leave it overnight they will give you a 10 $ discount, on your first purchase.
Thanks for the tip. I don't agree that the host of healthcare is the reason a DAC costs more in the UK than the US.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Thanks for the tip. I don't agree that the host of healthcare is the reason a DAC costs more in the UK than the US.
Well, we have a 20% sales tax. Some of which goes to the NHS. So unless you are talking about pre tax costs, then it has an influence.

Kane1972

Well, we have a 20% sales tax. Some of which goes to the NHS. So unless you are talking about pre tax costs, then it has an influence.
If it cost 20% more in the UK because of VAT, then that would be fair, or even if it was £350, when it is $350 in the US it would seem "normal", but £399 still seems artificially inflated. Can't imagine shipping to the UK is more than to the US.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
If it cost 20% more in the UK because of VAT, then that would be fair, or even if it was £350, when it is $350 in the US it would seem "normal", but £399 still seems artificially inflated. Can't imagine shipping to the UK is more than to the US.
I can. Straight line distance is similar but due to geography sea freight (cheapest) is a straight line across the pacific for USA, but somewhat more convoluted for UK.

Then it will also be heavily related to volume shipped. I'm guessing that the US market is much bigger than the UK market.

Oh - and prices were probably set at the worst possible time for UK exchange rates. Blame our Liz :rolleyes:

misterdog

Oh - and prices were probably set at the worst possible time for UK exchange rates. Blame our Liz :rolleyes:

The Chinese sell in US dollars (the set price), whatever is the exchange rate at the time is the UK price, the UK price is not 'set'.

Exchange rates are a two way street, the value of the Euro and the Japanese Yen have also plummeted recently against the US Dollar, because the Dollar is currently very strong.

The U.S. Dollar Index, which measures the greenback against a basket of other currencies, is up more than 17% so far this year.

Can we leave politics and world economics out of this thread please.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
The Chinese sell in US dollars (the set price), whatever is the exchange rate at the time is the UK price, the UK price is not 'set'.

Exchange rates are a two way street, the value of the Euro and the Japanese Yen have also plummeted recently against the US Dollar, because the Dollar is currently very strong.

The U.S. Dollar Index, which measures the greenback against a basket of other currencies, is up more than 17% so far this year.

Can we leave politics and world economics out of this thread please.
If that were the case, the UK price would be continually changing as the exchange rate does - but that isn't what happens. So the price must be set at one point in time, at least for a subsequent period in time.

misterdog

the UK price would be continually changing as the exchange rate does - but that isn't what happens.

It was $ 349 at HiFiGo on Friday £ 288, today it is still $ 349 but £ 289.52.
As a UK account holder they show you the current price in sterling -which varies - with the exchange rate..

Some retailers, Audiophonics for example will set a retail price at a fixed level allowing for fluctuations in currency exchange.
399 Euros which is £ £ 345 (today).

End, out.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
It was $ 349 at HiFiGo on Friday £ 288, today it is still $ 349 but £ 289.52.
I think @Kane1972 was talking about local distribution/suppliers, not ordering direct from China. Hence the £399 price tag.

Obviously if you order from China in USD, then the conversion will be done at the time of order placement.

misterdog

Mine arrived yesterday, superb all round.
Everything from the packaging to the design, display, feature set, value for money and obviously the sound.
Sounds better than my other 121dB SINAD DAC.
Though if you look closely at the IMD and Multitone plots you can see where the improvements are likely to be and this proved correct.
With many thanks to @amirm

E70 > Pre 90 > Benchmark AHB2 > fully tricked out Quad 989ESL's.

@JohnYang1997 - congratulations and many thanks, all I need now is a new case and matching display for my Pre 90 :)

Top Bottom