• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

aka_Z

Well, Apos "warehouse" is most likely the same one from where you got yours ;)

Last edited:

Burns

in parallel

Attachments

• P_20230323_172656.jpg
    P_20230323_172656.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 80

AdrianusG

Hi Amir,

Is there a chance you will test the the E70V anytime soon?

I'm planning to (probably) buy the E70 or the E70V, but i want to wait for your judgement (a.k.a measurements) first.
Thanks for answer in advance.

Adrian

AdrianusG

Hi, is there truely , such a big difference between those, all other parameters being equal?

Burns

Hi, my name is Ammmir ;) and I have a test kit to check if the Chinese gave me two different chips because somehow I can't hear it. I really do, I swear.

Attachments

• P_20230323_183050.jpg
    P_20230323_183050.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 85

aka_Z

I'm just kidding. According to measurements, both should sound the same but psychoacoustic is very powerful. Especially when you see that one has a velveted chip inside :)
Hi, is there truely , such a big difference between those, all other parameters being equal?
I'm just kidding. According to measurements, both should sound the same but psychoacoustic is very powerful. Especially when you see that one has a velveted chip inside :)

AdrianusG

Okay, thanks for answers so far,
Anyway i'm not in a hurry, so i can wait till the test of E70V.

My current DAC sounds pretty good to me, (which is of course totally subjective, i know) , but it's also pretty old, >4 years or so, and i bought it back then for 140€, it's a NuPrime uDSD, about the size of a package of sigarettes, and sinds pretty good to me, again pure subjectively, i have no idea how it would measure.
I'm sure given it's age and even then already lowish price it will be obliterated soundwise by all the latest offerings in the 300~500 $ or € category tested by Amir lately.

Price-wise my current dac is definitely not on par with the rest of my equipement.
That said, in all those years it Almost never let me down over it's usb connection, and when it does it's more likely my labtop at fault.

Anyway, hoping for a test of the E70v the same, even if the conclusion would be " buy either and be happy with it, cause there is no audible difference" .

aka_Z

Only reason to rush it that both DACs are on sale at Apos right now $296 and $381. If that's relevant to you.

AdrianusG

Yeah, problem is that i live in the Netherlands, and I'm not so sure Apos audio ships here, and even if they would, shipping + local tax would totally vaporise any benefit.

So Basically i have to order from within the EU, but typically prizes for this kind of equipement from the likes of Topping and SMSL are a bit higher than say the US, not a deal breaker, but still.

aka_Z

I think you can order directly from https://shenzhenaudio.com/ and I think they have warehouse or store or something in the EU. So, no additional customs to you. But double check!

p.s.
Even though I bought it from Apos, the shipping is from SHENZHEN-CHN ;)

Burns

Yeah, problem is that i live in the Netherlands, and I'm not so sure Apos audio ships here, and even if they would, shipping + local tax would totally vaporise any benefit.

So Basically i have to order from within the EU, but typically prizes for this kind of equipement from the likes of Topping and SMSL are a bit higher than say the US, not a deal breaker, but still.

AdrianusG

Thanks for the link, there's quite a few options to purchase these products here, F. I. Amazon.nl,or Amazon.de, AliExpress, or a French shop (Audiophonics) which looks pretty trustworthy as well, in short there's enough options.
Anyways nice talking to a fellow "audiphile", but i got 't turn in, tomorrow is another early working day.
Greetings
Adrian

Burns

I will summarize:
- SMSL DO200 MKII didn't bring anything to my life, e70 ate it like sausage with mustard,
- E70 Vwlvet did nothing for the e70 hot dog because he had neither mustard nor ketchup
- e70 wins
- e70 velvet is indifferent to me and returns
- the final battle will be between e70 vs SMSL DO300. Both have a PRO chip, one older the other, newer, differ in equipment: e70 trigger, DO300 more useless ports
It's going to be David vs Goliath ;)

Last edited:

funnychap

I will summarize:
- SMSL DO200 MKII didn't bring anything to my life, e70 ate it like sausage with mustard,
- E70 Vwlvet did nothing for the e70 hot dog because he had neither mustard nor ketchup
- e70 wins
- e70 velvet is indifferent to me and returns
- the final battle will be between e70 vs SMSL DO300. Both have a PRO chip, one older the other, newer, differ in equipment: e70 trigger, DO300 more useless ports
It's going to be David vs Goliath ;)
Hi, I've recently discovered that I can get more dynamic range (doesn't sound as compressed) by plugging my receivers/amps (Arcam AVR5, Denon X3700H, and Parsound) directly into the wall instead of in my surge protector.
This is noticeable with Apple Music lossless.

I now plug my subwoofers (with builtin class D amps) directly into the wall...I can't tell the difference with a subwoofer.

We're gonna replace our AVRs before they break down anyway (due to new features that we want) so I'd rather get as close to a LIVE performance as possible.

rentaclaus

Hi, I've recently discovered that I can get more dynamic range (doesn't sound as compressed) by plugging my receivers/amps (Arcam AVR5, Denon X3700H, and Parsound) directly into the wall instead of in my surge protector.
This must be the reason why schiit uses wall wart style transformers ;)

Top Bottom