• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 317 83.9%

• Total voters

krappo

Both the E70 and E70 Velvet support DoP (DSD over PCM) over USB.

E70:
View attachment 273850

E70 Velvet:
View attachment 273851

I prefer Native anyway.

Martin

Also - can we stop using the term Chifi or Chi-Fi? It's is derogatory and has no place in these forums.
Not derogatory but i do shop there

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not derogatory but i do shop there

Grant Fidelity, one of the oldest and largest North American sellers of Chinese audio equipment, even uses the term - and Rachel, the owner, is Chinese.

Still, I’ve been told it was derogatory and I have stopped using it myself.

Martin

Last edited:

aka_Z

People are just too sensitive nowadays. Everything can be considered as derogating. Depends on the context. In this case, Chi-Fi covers all vendors originating from China. Are they all shamed by their origin? Or should they be proud? Or should they profile themself as reliable, affordable, high quality, etc?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Are they all shamed by their origin? Or should they be proud? Or should they profile themself as reliable, affordable, high quality, etc?

I once bought a small Ming dynasty vase online. I sent it back when I found out it was made in China…

Burns

People are just too sensitive nowadays. Everything can be considered as derogating. Depends on the context. In this case, Chi-Fi covers all vendors originating from China. Are they all shamed by their origin? Or should they be proud? Or should they profile themself as reliable, affordable, high quality, etc?
Even though I have DAC SMSL and Topping myself, it is an art of compromise that I agreed to.
I don't find it offensive. For me, ChiFi is an image of Chinese thinking. Doing something right, if it succeeds, is very good, but it is burdened with the rush to keep up with the rapidly changing market.
It can be seen and felt.
Often these products are non-ergonomic and ill-considered, non-intuitive.
No support, no firmware updates,
They all use the same components
I can write long.
The best example, however, will be the SMSL DO300 - the manufacturer was in such a hurry that he didn't even measure it

threni

Major Contributor
Grant Fidelity, one of the oldest and largest North American sellers of Chinese audio equipment, even uses the term - and Rachel, the owner, is Chinese.

Martin
Tricky thing saying something "is" something. It's a totally subjective comparison. "This turntable sounds great". For the money, and compared to other turntables you've heard, maybe. "This food is spicy". Call that spicy? Not really. Maybe if you've not eaten much spicy food. "Chi-fi is offensive". No it's not. Not to me, anyway, and even when people are railing against Chinese audio equipment here they tend to use the full word. But if the owner of this site says it's offensive to him then out of politeness and respect for all he puts into this site it seems to me that not using the term here is the right thing to do.

Last edited:

Burns

Martin
this article is not authoritative, it does not address all issues.
Why does the SMSL DO300 cost 1/4 the price of Western equipment when it is just as good or even better?
The manufacturer of SMLS did not pay and did not bear the costs of long-term tests and measurements.
Such equipment in the west would be developed and tested for a year or two. The Chinese copy the principle, it will probably be a fluke, by duplicating what they did in the first model, e.g. DO200 - just change the chip (of course, simplified).
HiFi - does not like rush. A lot of hi-fi stuff was said over 50 years ago. Good music is long-lived and everyone wants their hi-fi gear to last for decades.
Chinese equipment does not yet guarantee longevity.
They have to work for it and it takes time

Burns

Let's get back to the topic. The tests start.

Attachments

• P_20230323_121156.jpg
    P_20230323_121156.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 67

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's get back to the topic. The tests start.

I’ll have the E70 on Tuesday. The E70 Velvet I ordered at the same time will not arrive until after April 20. At least Apos gave me $5.

In the mean time I’m going to practice my ABX testing routine using the E70 and my DX7 Pro.

Martin

Burns

I already know a lot
I don't know if I know everything
but i know a lot
I'll sum it up like this @aka_Z saved money and most of all time.
If there is a difference and there is a difference, max 0.3%
I will not bring anything new to the discussion than what is described in the summary below
My summary is that velvet returns as quickly as it arrived. If it was a difference of $30 and not $120 as it is in my country, maybe I would analyze the differences of 0.3% for sound longer. Now I'm wasting my life and time.
In addition, the Velvet does not have a filter menu for DSD as stated here and does not have the Jitter correction that the regular e70 got with firmware v1.04
I'm returning Velvet tomorrow or after the weekend

rarewolf

I already know a lot
I don't know if I know everything
but i know a lot
I'll sum it up like this @aka_Z saved money and most of all time.
If there is a difference and there is a difference, max 0.3%
I will not bring anything new to the discussion than what is described in the summary below
My summary is that velvet returns as quickly as it arrived. If it was a difference of $30 and not $120 as it is in my country, maybe I would analyze the differences of 0.3% for sound longer. Now I'm wasting my life and time.
In addition, the Velvet does not have a filter menu for DSD as stated here and does not have the Jitter correction that the regular e70 got with firmware v1.04
I'm returning Velvet tomorrow or after the weekend

What makes you believe the E70V needed “… the Jitter correction that the regular e70 got with firmware v1.04.”? They do not both use the same jitter management…

Burns

What makes you believe the E70V needed “… the Jitter correction that the regular e70 got with firmware v1.04.”? They do not both use the same jitter management…
I'm reporting what I've observed, not stating anything
Isn't it also related to the fact that the DoP support has disappeared from coax? (can this chip do it?)

aka_Z

I’ll have the E70 on Tuesday. The E70 Velvet I ordered at the same time will not arrive until after April 20. At least Apos gave me $5.

In the mean time I’m going to practice my ABX testing routine using the E70 and my DX7 Pro.

Martin
Apos told me the same, E70V is out of stock and most likely will be shipped after April 20. However, I woke up with an email and text that it's shipped and scheduled to arrive next Tuesday :)

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Apos told me the same, E70V is out of stock and most likely will be shipped after April 20. However, I woke up with an email and text that it's shipped and scheduled to arrive next Tuesday :)

Looks like I’m getting the E70 on Tuesday and the E70 Velvet on Wednesday. Woohoo!

Martin

Top Bottom