• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

wacomme

Lets see some pictures with the screen turned on!!
It looks like I need to do some dusting on my desk. Here are my L & E 70's.
IMG_0348.jpeg

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For example -80 dB crosstalk is pretty bad, and under the right conditions the distortion it introduces can be heard. But only in comparison. Without comparison, of course, you will not hear anything terrible, but also the proper quality.
There are plugins emulating crosstalk - you can experiment...
Try listening to music at your normal listening level. Now turn it down by 80dB. Can you still hear it at all? Probably not, and certainly not if your normal listening level is 80db or below. Even if you listen at dangerous levels above 85dB, it is still probably lost in the noise floor of your room. If it’s not, and you can just barely detect it, imagine trying to hear it with your normal (85dB+) music volume on top of it.

ErkyPerky

Anyone know where i can find the newer V1.04 firmware for Mac? Only V1.03 exits on toppings website.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone know where i can find the newer V1.04 firmware for Mac? Only V1.03 exits on toppings website.
There:

And yes, it is a shame that Topping did not ever care listing it on their website for the last couple of months...:facepalm:

ErkyPerky

There:

And yes, it is a shame that Topping did not ever care listing it on their website for the last couple of months...:facepalm:
Thanks, but it is not a Mac Os Supported file.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There:

And nothing heard here from @JohnYang1997
since October. Not a shame, I am only curious was fascinating to read his posts.

Mattx

Just installed the E70+L70 combo however I'm afraid whatever I do I cannot get any sound out of it....

This is my first stack/combo. I am used to simpler 'analog' devices like the klipsch heritage headphone amp. So probably I am doing something not right.

I have USB cable from Windows 11 to the E70 and have v5.50 drivers installed.
E70 DAC connected via topping XLR cables to the L70 AMP.
L70 connects via RCA cables to active monitors.

No sound at all via monitors nor via headphones. The displays seem normal, no error messages. Maybe someone here has some tips / idea's ?

PS: how loud is -30dB ? This was the setting when I turned on the device. On a linear scale from 0-100 is this zero ? I have turned the volume buttons a bit but it didn't seem to matter.

PS2: The firmware is v1.02. Not sure how to update it. Also I don't think this should be the issue?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Last edited:

HIFIBOY

The official website only has version 1.03, what's wrong with it? Usually, I will not update the firmware if there is no exception in use, so as to avoid bringing new problems.

ThatGuyYouKnow

The official website only has version 1.03, what's wrong with it? Usually, I will not update the firmware if there is no exception in use, so as to avoid bringing new problems.
As far as I know, 1.04 allows you to adjust the DAC's jitter tolerance so as to eliminate audio drops with lesser quality signals. I had the issue with my Shield Pro and Switch's audio passed through my display. I ended up buying a couple of SMSL PO100 PROs for those devices. Perhaps silly to spend $150 to fix the issue, but there's some peace of mind in sending the cleanest possible signals to the DAC.

ErkyPerky

I know, yet I'm sure finding some Windows PC to do the update would not be the hardiest thing... ;)
So i've just installed V1.04 onto the E70 and i'm in setup mode but no options to adjust optical, can you please help me out? Thanks

Top Bottom