• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 randomly went to MAX volume..

strea

Not sure what happened but all the sudden the E70 went from -30db or so to 0db. Basically blew out my ears for a few seconds and it was stuck on 0db, I couldn't even lower it. Tried spinning the volume control on the E70 for a few seconds, it was locked at 0db. Afraid to put my windows volume back to 100 now. The only thing that saved me finally was muting Windows volume.

What the hell man.. this sucks.

Hapo

...we were just talking aboot something like this happening on another thread... o_O

OP
strea

strea

...we were just talking aboot something like this happening on another thread... o_O
Which thread? I'd like to read..

I've had this setup for 5 days or now so and haven't had any issues with the E70, not sure how this issue came out of no where. Even worse was that the volume control LOCKED to 0db regardless of me trying to turn it down instantly.

Think I'll leave my Windows volume at 50% for a couple days, make sure it doesnt happen again.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what happened but all the sudden the E70 went from -30db or so to 0db
What happened is a company that doesn't have a tiny bit of care for quality control and long term reliability. Better aim 125dB SINAD for the lowest price possible than having a product that actually works and that isn't dangerous for your system, apparently.

Last edited:
OP
strea

strea

What happened is a company that does have not a tiny bit of care for quality control and long term reliability. Better aim 125dB SINAD for the lowest price possible than having a product that actually works and that isn't dangerous for your system, apparently.
Do you have a recommendation if this happens again as I will definitely be changing DAC. Preferably one with a volume knob / preamp (not sure the exact terminology). And preferably under $600 or so.

Thank you.

Hapo

...I don't remember...someone was worried aboot this exact thing happening in a more or less random comment...

...I asked why would one set the amp at high gain and was ignored...maybe I can find the thread by searching my posts...

...I have my new E 30II set @ 0 db and use volume control on legacy preamp...

OP
strea

strea

...I don't remember...someone was worried aboot this exact thing happening in a more or less random comment...

...I asked why would one set the amp at high gain and was ignored...maybe I can find the thread by searching my posts...

...I have my new E 30II set @ 0 db and use volume control on legacy preamp...
Yeah, I suppose I will use Windows volume for now. Not sure if this hurts signal though keeping Win vol at 40-50%?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That’s scary. Luckily this has never happened with my Genelecs and GLM. I once had this glitch with my car audio system when I was calibrating it and my existing tinnitus got worse for a couple of days after that episode.

OP
strea

strea

That’s scary. Luckily this has never happened with my Genelecs and GLM. I once had this glitch with my car audio system when I was calibrating it and my existing tinnitus got worse for a couple of days after that episode.
Yeah I'm on 8030c's and a 7050c. I suppose it says 8030c's only go to max 104db SPL so it shouldn't have been too damaging to my ears? My monitors were also set to +6db input sensitivity in case of this (thanks @staticV3 ). I think it was more of the shock of it and being unable to control it afterwards. Lasted about 10-15 seconds or so before I realized to turn down Windows volume.

OP
strea

strea

Anyone know if utilizing Windows volume as my main volume control will reduce signal or quality of sound etc.? I suppose my plan from here for a bit is to keep the E70 closer to 0db and use Windows volume as my main control. I'll have Windows probably at 40% or so most of the time.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What happened is a company that does have not a tiny bit of care for quality control and long term reliability. Better aim 125dB SINAD for the lowest price possible than having a product that actually works and that isn't dangerous for your system, apparently.
Marketing, same thing that audiophile companies do.
Here Topping just cares about sinad chart audiophile companies cares about claims - same point different tools.
Quality is laughable, unfortunately :(

Hapo

Anyone know if utilizing Windows volume as my main volume control will reduce signal or quality of sound etc.? I suppose my plan from here for a bit is to keep the E70 closer to 0db and use Windows volume as my main control. I'll have Windows probably at 40% or so most of the time.

...FWIW I am learning here too...short answer is yes...I didn't know this was even a question/issue...

...I asked google and this is what it came up with...LoL...

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Anyone know if utilizing Windows volume as my main volume control will reduce signal or quality of sound etc.?
Most likely, the E70 has UAC2 hardware volume control, in which case the Windows slider will be identical in quality to the volume knob; both using digital attenuation built into the ES9028Pro chip.
You can ckeck if it's UAC2 by playing audio via ASIO. If the DAC uses UAC2 Hardware Volume, then the Windows volume slider will continue working as always.
If the DAC doesn't have UAC2 hardware volume, then once you start playing, the slider will turn into a binary switch basically: 0 -> DAC Muted, 1-100 -> data sent to DAC at 100%.

OP
strea

strea

...FWIW I am learning here too...
Well, sounds like I have no safe, reliable way to control my volume then. If I put Windows back to 90-100% then I risk the E70 going to 0db and blowing out my ears again. Quite the conundrum..

OP
strea

strea

Most likely, the E70 has UAC2 hardware volume control, in which case the Windows slider will be identical in quality to the volume knob; both using digital attenuation built into the ES9028Pro chip.
So do you have a recommendation on how I should control volume or should I just start the return process on the E70? I'm not willing to risk the E70 shooting up and locking to 0db again.. my only solution atm is keeping Windows volume at 40% or so in case it does shoot up to 0db again. Or do I order a reliable preamp and simply put the E70 in DAC only mode? Sigh.. thought my purchases were done with lol

staticV3

Master Contributor
@scar1g just to make sure: in the moment where the volume reset to 0dBFS, you were touching neither the DAC, nor the remote? It just randomly did it on its own while playing music? You didn't, like, sit on the remote by accident?

That the volume reset to 0dB and adjustment via knob got disabled, means the E70 entered DAC mode for some reason:
Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 19.23.40.png

OP
strea

strea

@scar1g just to make sure: in the moment where the volume reset to 0dBFS, you were touching neither the DAC, nor the remote? It just randomly did it on its own while playing music? You didn't, like, sit on the remote by accident?
The remote is still in the box, I do not use it. I may have been touching the volume (I can't fully remember), but nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever. No reason for it to shoot from -30db to 0db instantly I can guarantee that. I've been moving the volume knob for days with no issues. And even if I was touching it, why would it LOCK to 0db. I do remember the shock of the volume and immediately trying to turn it down, spinning the volume pot and the screen simply reading out 0db for 5-10 seconds straight. The volume was locked, it would not move. Something caused it to spike erratically then lock at 0db.

Edit: I just remembered, NONE of the functionality worked. I couldn't click in the knob to mute or change output from XLR to RCA etc, I couldn't turn it off with the front panel touch screen, it was just LOCKED.

Top Bottom