• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

victorqtek

More strange results on playing MQA content through BS Node and E50:
First I played MQA file through BS Node with attached E50 with optical cable. E50 shows original sampling rate and no MQA. Then if I stop the song in the middle and switch to external MQA DAC mode in BS Node and resume playing the song E50 shows OFS and original sampling rate! BlueOS App also shows that MQA content is playing. But when next song starts to play, E50 don't show any MQA related sign and shows half the original sampling rate.
IMG_20211018_191926.jpg
IMG_20211018_192301.jpg

bogi

The above posts and pictures are only minor part of the MQA mess.

Toku

Major Contributor
More strange results on playing MQA content through BS Node and E50:
First I played MQA file through BS Node with attached E50 with optical cable. E50 shows original sampling rate and no MQA. Then if I stop the song in the middle and switch to external MQA DAC mode in BS Node and resume playing the song E50 shows OFS and original sampling rate! BlueOS App also shows that MQA content is playing. But when next song starts to play, E50 don't show any MQA related sign and shows half the original sampling rate.View attachment 159892View attachment 159893
For the E50, the only MQA that can be used with an OPT/COAX connection is the MQA Renderer.
OFS is displayed instead of MQA display when playing with MQA Renderer.
When MQA/MQA Studio is played with OPT/COAX connection, it becomes normal PCM.
So I think all your E50s are working fine.

spiritofjerry

Question about this unit that I hope I am not repeating:

Does it have an auto-dimming feature that turns the display off after a period of time?

Toku

Major Contributor
Question about this unit that I hope I am not repeating:

Does it have an auto-dimming feature that turns the display off after a period of time?
Yes, you can set the automatic ON/OFF of the display. When turned on, the display turns off if no operation is performed for 30 seconds.

madbrayniak

I have a couple questions.

I was thinking about building a system around the Bluesound Node but I am also considering going the route of using the E50.

I have several sources but would like some input from those of you that are much more experienced.

Sources: TV(shield TV and BLuray), Gaming HTPC, and Tunrtable

Speaker arrangement currently: Stereo, trying to figure out if I can get the subwoofer back in to the room using this:

https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-wireless-audio-adapter

Possible Setup: Turntable to Parks Puffin with COAX to E50, TV SPDIF to E50, Shield TV and HTPC to E50 with USB splitter?

Goals of this setup is to go more minimalist in use. My wife does not care for the AVR setup currently and gets frustrated with all the inputs that need to be juggled and I can't say I blame her.

Does anyone know if the volume of the E50 can be controlled by the Shield TV Remote?

Also, I don't have an issue running more through the TV and then to the E50 but I'm trying to maximize performance while keeping it simple for my wife and kids.

Obviously the Node is really easy with eARC and CEC control but not the best performing product and I don't like that I can't use Pandora with it unless I tie up my phone to it. Meanwhile my HTPC can be the source for all my music without an issue.

aftermast

I have a couple questions.

I was thinking about building a system around the Bluesound Node but I am also considering going the route of using the E50.

I have several sources but would like some input from those of you that are much more experienced.

Sources: TV(shield TV and BLuray), Gaming HTPC, and Tunrtable

Speaker arrangement currently: Stereo, trying to figure out if I can get the subwoofer back in to the room using this:

https://www.svsound.com/products/soundpath-wireless-audio-adapter

Possible Setup: Turntable to Parks Puffin with COAX to E50, TV SPDIF to E50, Shield TV and HTPC to E50 with USB splitter?

Goals of this setup is to go more minimalist in use. My wife does not care for the AVR setup currently and gets frustrated with all the inputs that need to be juggled and I can't say I blame her.

Does anyone know if the volume of the E50 can be controlled by the Shield TV Remote?

Also, I don't have an issue running more through the TV and then to the E50 but I'm trying to maximize performance while keeping it simple for my wife and kids.

Obviously the Node is really easy with eARC and CEC control but not the best performing product and I don't like that I can't use Pandora with it unless I tie up my phone to it. Meanwhile my HTPC can be the source for all my music without an issue.
I’m looking to the E50 as well to make things easier on my family with the auto source section and auto on features. I’ll also be using a turntable hooked up to a Konnekt Live that can digitize and provide the phono curve then output to the Spdif of the E50.

The problem that you face that I’m not sure about is that your turntable source would be better using the E50 as the preamp, but if you wanted to use the Shield remote it would be better in DAC mode.

If using the E50 in preamp mode you could run both balanced and unbalanced at the same time and use one to hookup a subwoofer and the other to your amp.

madbrayniak

You can modify the Parks Puffin to output in Coax or SPDIF as well which is why I was looking at going that route.

That's great to hear about the balanced and unbalanced working at the same time. That will make integrating the sub much easier.

It's funny though now that I think about it. When I first got into audio it was all about more speakers and better surround sound setup. However, as I have gone through life I have actually minimized more and more and I have come to find that a stereo setup is more enjoyable daily than a multichannel one because every source has the ability to play in that format while multichannel formats are hit and miss and when watching a movie it can really take you out of the film.

I can't seem to find anything about a Konnekt Live device, can you share a link?

I need to also look and see if the E50 can work with Linux as I may change my HTPC from Windows to Linux with this Win11 debacle and I have a AMD system. Looking at Protondb.com all but 3 games work on Linux now either natviely or via Proton.

aftermast

I can't seem to find anything about a Konnekt Live device, can you share a link?

It's pretty old. It's a firewire audio interface but you can use a computer to set it up and then you don't need to have it connected to a computer when using. Well, in theory, I can't get the DC jack to work on mine.

I've also wondered if I could go with a Motu M2 or M4 for ADC / Raspberry Pi and then output to a Topping D10 (USB to SPDIF) and then hook up to the Topping E50. For me that would be down the road.

Sami

This review is not showing up in the "Audio Electronics Review and Measurements Index".

mrlongar

Better to get topping d70s or e50 for sound quality . Soudstage .. money worth

bogi

Better to get topping d70s or e50 for sound quality . Soudstage .. money worth
If you want to discuss perceived sound quality, this is not suitable forum for that. Attackers are ready to jump here and to gain their 'valuable' likes points by teaching you that you cannot hear any differences between DACs of this category.

Charliemouse

Hi. Does anyone know the wiring for the TRS balanced sockets? I am trying to spec up some interconnects to go from an E50 to an A30Pro (uses XLR balanced inputs). I've looked around for some kind of technical manual for the E50, but failed to find. Thanks.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want to discuss perceived sound quality, this is not suitable forum for that. Attackers are ready to jump here and to gain their 'valuable' likes points by teaching you that you cannot hear any differences between DACs of this category.
Didn't know we got paid to accumulate "like" points...

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmm.. the official ASR crypto coin and NFT :D

I strongly encourage you to prove us wrong by providing evidence. So far nobody can or nobody will do that.
Repeating the same anecdotal story and personal experience over and over again doesn't make it true.

Top Bottom