• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

the_hamster 2

I currently have a “2020” model E30 w/ AKM chipset, dedicated to handling a CCA output via optical input, analogue signal OUT to a pre-amp, and don’t use headphones. Would anyone on this thread be confident in saying that upgrading to the E50 would deliver noticeable signal improvement in the system as described? For $269, not a significant upgrade cost at all, but would I hear the difference?

imnotdrunk

I currently have a “2020” model E30 w/ AKM chipset, dedicated to handling a CCA output via optical input, analogue signal OUT to a pre-amp, and don’t use headphones. Would anyone on this thread be confident in saying that upgrading to the E50 would deliver noticeable signal improvement in the system as described? For $269, not a significant upgrade cost at all, but would I hear the difference?
I don't think there is any reason to upgrade if you're not going to use the balanced output

nagster

200kohm is too big. If we have a Topping headphone amplifier or a preamplifier, we will have a 2kohm load. The difference between them it is a hundred times. I want to know if E50 could drive that Topping units with the same low distortions. This test at 2kohm load is very relevant for the Topping products because they use 2kohm input impedance.
To change the measurement condition to 2kohm input termination, amirm needs to modify APx555 or add a jig.
And future measurements will not be comparable to past measurements.

Adding a 2kohm input termination to the measurement conditions requires modification or jig addition and double the measurement time.

Someone may complain that the 40ohm output impedance is too low.
Since the output has 5 impedances and the input has 4 terminations (3 + 2kohm), it requires 20 times the current measurement time.

Since amirm is chased by a large amount of backorders, it makes sense to integrate it into the most standard measurement conditions.
If 2kohm measurement is absolutely necessary, you will have to measure it yourself.
Or if you donate the modify costs and his additional wages to ASR, he may specially realize a 2kohm termination measurement.

To change the measurement condition to 2kohm input termination, amirm needs to modify APx555 or add a jig.
And future measurements will not be comparable to past measurements.

Adding a 2kohm input termination to the measurement conditions requires modification or jig addition and double the measurement time.

Someone may complain that the 40ohm output impedance is too low.
Since the output has 5 impedances and the input has 4 terminations (3 + 2kohm), it requires 20 times the current measurement time.

Since amirm is chased by a large amount of backorders, it makes sense to integrate it into the most standard measurement conditions.
If 2kohm measurement is absolutely necessary, you will have to measure it yourself.
Or if you donate the modify costs and his additional wages to ASR, he may specially realize a 2kohm termination measurement.
Ok, then 600 ohm is ok ?

respice finem

Major Contributor
Those numbers are superb. My concern would be how light these are (E50+L50) to stack. It seems to me you only need a little pull of your headphones cable to wipe them out of the desk. Makes me appreciate more my 4 kilograms amp :p
This is an issue all "small box" devices share, with different solutions. One would be mounting them under the desk instead on it (often also hangin up the headphones under the desk), another is rather "quick & dirty" - put a door stopper on it :)
https://www.artundvoice.com/fileadmin/newsbilder/Auralic/Mutec_MC3__USB.jpg
https://external-preview.redd.it/SP...bp&s=3ef2db8574269a131d2f36c923908e452fdbd417

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is an issue all "small box" devices share, with different solutions. One would be mounting them under the desk instead on it (often also hangin up the headphones under the desk), another is rather "quick & dirty" - put a door stopper on it :)
https://www.artundvoice.com/fileadmin/newsbilder/Auralic/Mutec_MC3__USB.jpg
https://external-preview.redd.it/SP...bp&s=3ef2db8574269a131d2f36c923908e452fdbd417
Darko also have weights on his equipment but those are very expensive super special weights that actually notably improve the sound quality :facepalm:

MCH

Major Contributor
Darko also have weights on his equipment but those are very expensive super special weights that actually notably improve the sound quality :facepalm:
Not here to defend him, he probably has a reason to use them that is very laughable, but he always mentions that what he uses are actual door stopers that cost him 6 euros

Last edited:

nagster

Ok, then 600 ohm is ok ?
You will decide whether it is OK or not.
It is up to the measurer to decide whether or not to perform the measurement.

The change when 2kohm terminations are gone is that there is no need to modify APx555 or make jigs, and the measurement time is reduced from 20 times to 15 times the current time.

If I had to choose only one condition for APx555 analog I/O measurement, it would be a combination of 200kohm input terminations and 40ohm output impedance.

Those who prefer more information will be more pleased with the more measurement conditions.
If you add measurement items or measurement conditions, you will have to pay the price to the measurer. It is a donation of the measurer himself or someone else.

Music1969

Major Contributor

Actually he's clearly said in one of his videos he uses them to stop lightweight gear from sliding off the shelf, like little Raspberry Pi... that sounds pretty practical to me... his reasons have absolutely nothing to do with sound quality.

As for all the expensive cables pulling on his lightweight gear, that's a different thing...

respice finem

Major Contributor
What would be really nice (and probably unrealistic): if the industry could agree to a uniform size, allowing for unified mounting solutions.
Maybe even a "mini-rackmount"?

Lupin

Actually he's clearly said in one of his videos he uses them to stop lightweight gear from sliding off the shelf, like little Raspberry Pi... that sounds pretty practical to me... his reasons have absolutely nothing to do with sound quality.

As for all the expensive cables pulling on his lightweight gear, that's a different thing...
Then he must have changed his mind somewhere down the line. I remember him talking about weights and how they improve SQ in an older video.

Eetu

Forum Donor

"A 1kg doorstop placed atop the Modi 3’s chassis reduces vibrations to bring forth ever-so-slightly better image focus."
:rolleyes:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Then he must have changed his mind somewhere down the line. I remember him talking about weights and how they improve SQ in an older video.

He probably did change his tune then. Maybe came to his senses after some time.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Are there any measurements for the preamp mode? Just wondering whether E50 measures decent albeit not as good as the D30 pro.
Amir always uses preamp mode which is the default setting. So they perform as shown in the review.
If you are talking about after attenuation. E50's noise does not reduce with output level. D30pro does reduce noise with output level and drops to 1.1uV below 25dB or so. D30pro makes better preamp.

Top Bottom