• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
But So far Topping, as far as I know, have been always designing products based on optimal implementation of off the shelf Silicon ICs. The Idea of a "Topping" module seams quite a long shot. By topping module you mean using discrete circuitry? You mean patentable technology? I believe it's not the Topping way but I may be proven wrong.
Possibility is endless.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I'm old enough to remember people saying "but the Japanese can only copy stuff", now it's the Chinese, and might develop in a similar direction. History rhymes.
I may be right or wrong, but this is the way I see it. Most EU companies are meanwhile too lazy or too static to risk new developments IMHO, with only a few exceptions.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I'm old enough to remember people saying "but the Japanese can only copy stuff", now it's the Chinese, and might develop in a similar direction. History rhymes.
I may be right or wrong, but this is the way I see it. Most EU companies are meanwhile too lazy or too static to risk new developments IMHO, with only a few exceptions.
But we are still talking Power Amps? Hypex is from EU and they certainly pushed the envelope in term of development in the power amp segment. More than any other companies I would say. I think innovation can come from anywhere.

Moosi

I don't see Topping taking on companies such as Texas Instruments, Infineon or ST Microsystems by developing their own microchips anytime in the future, those are multi billion dollar companies. But who knows what the tides might bring to the shores of Xiamen and Quanzhou one day.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I have gave too much hint on many things already.

Forget the hardware for a second, I will repeat again what I’ve said before.

I’d love a ‘driver’ for Topping DACs which was effectively a bit of software for your PC which is something akin to Equalizer APO.

The whole topping DAC/combi-DAC/amp lineup suddenly becomes MASSIVELY more attractive.

And what does it cost Topping? I can’t imagine this stuff is hugely difficult; people have it out there for free. On the other hand, the financial gains for Topping in increased sales is potentially significant.

EDIT: Oh, and there’s already a portable DAC/amp dongle out there which comes with an app with similar EQ. This is EXACTLY what I’m talking about.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Are you referring to the DAC part only, or do you want a DAC-ADC-Headphones amp combo ?
For Most people here ADI-2 refers to ADI-2 DAC, Dac, dsp an headphone amp, only the ADI-2 Pro has an ADC, but safe to say he refers to the DAC only version, it's kinda the reference/Swiss knife features packed DAC. Most people here are about music reproduction, not so much production.

respice finem

Major Contributor
But we are still talking Power Amps? Hypex is from EU and they certainly pushed the envelope in term of development in the power amp segment. More than any other companies I would say. I think innovation can come from anywhere.
Yes, but, though it exists in this case for years already, I'm seeing not many EU implementations of them. It's not that the people were less smart than others, it's the "sluggishness" of many (not all) manufacturers. Or maybe I'm wrong and there simply isn't enough demand?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

respice finem

Major Contributor
Forget the hardware for a second... I’d love a ‘driver’ for Topping DACs which was effectively a bit of software for your PC which is something akin to Equalizer APO.
Many EQ/DSP functions could be implemented in software, given the power of today's CPUs.
Such a "driver" would be particularly attractive as a "multisystem" application, as for Windows only, one can simply use Equalizer APO etc.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep, minus the "gaming" sauce.
I think that if Topping would put some effort into this they will come up with something that completely blows the Hel out of the water.
(And with much better aesthetics, but that's totally subjective/personal)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, minus the "gaming" sauce.
I think that if Topping would put some effort into this they will come up with something that completely blows the Hel out of the water.
(And with much better aesthetics, but that's totally subjective/personal)
For sure change it around but keep the features like that one and backlit knobs would be ace. :D

respice finem

Major Contributor
It's a hint? Careful how rumor machine can go. A possibility becomes a plan quite fast in these forums.
As a manufacturer, hardly anything can be better for you in terms of marketing - as long as the rumoured product doesn't disappoint when it arrives.

ClosDeLaRoche

Since the handling of external sources is by a external chip. The PLL setting on the ESS register does nothing beneficial.

Also I have not encountered a source which doesn't work with default PLL setting magically work on higher settings, were the internal receiver being used.
Some TVs have issues with ESS chips & keeping a lock on the signal. My last Samsung and current LG both have problems with most ESS DACs.

Top Bottom