• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Ajax

Forum Donor
E and L lines are meant to be lower cost, efficiently designed with performance/price ratio maximized.

A and D series are in general for new designs, more premium products with still good performance/price but more about new cool stuff.

And it's expected for E and L lines to be more popular.

Of course D10 series is an exception. But to me it serves an purpose. D10 Balanced already started to make sense with E50 and L50 lauch. It will make more sense when more different products coming.

I have lots of concepts and visions. Some things are actually planned in 2019 and won't be released before next year.

Hi John,

Thank you for your great line of products. I own the D50s DAC.

With regard to what you have planned would they include a streamer? There are a surprisingly few cost effective Streamers on the market and with nearly all my listening now via Tidal & Spotify a stand alone bit perfect Streamer or Streamer / DAC would be welcome.

Tomino

Forum Donor
An ignorant, even Philistine question: given the amount of noise and distortion that inevitably enters during playback, especially from speakers and room acoustics, at what point is adding another dB of SINAD from your DAC gilding the lily -- i.e., meaningless -- in terms of improving sound quality? Wouldn't you reach that point far, far below 120 dB?
A suggestion for Amirm and others far more knowledgeable than me:
I think many who are relatively new to measurement-driven audiophilia would be interested in guidance on how to balance an audio budget among different components with the target of having a smooth response curve, limited distortion, reasonable playback volume and bass response, etc. Obviously this poses a question with no clear answer, but just as plainly, you wouldn't want to spend the same on your DAC as on your speakers. So what's a sensible consumer strategy to optimize your results? Presumably that strategy includes some form of DSP if at all possible.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Cosmic radiation has nothing to do with noise in audio circuits. I have already designed and measured analogue circuit with less than 100nVrms noise in 20khz BW. The dynamic range is about 167dB.
I've heard it said that the interstation noise ("static") you get with a mistuned radio is due to CBR. I've always thought that unlikely and that it's due to internal circuit noise. Which is correct?

SeriousSam70

I've heard it said that the interstation noise ("static") you get with a mistuned radio is due to CBR. I've always thought that unlikely and that it's due to internal circuit noise. Which is correct?

When you watch channel 03, 1% of what you're watching comes from the Big Bang's leftover glow. You are literally watching the cosmic microwave background.

Channel 03 was — and if you can dig up an old television set, still is — simply a signal that appears to us as "static" or "snow." That "snow" you see on your television comes from a combination of all sorts of sources:
  • human-made radio transmissions,
  • the Sun,
  • black holes,
  • and all sorts of other directional astrophysical phenomena like pulsars, cosmic rays and more.

roffe

Hi John,

Thank you for your great line of products. I own the D50s DAC.

With regard to what you have planned would they include a streamer? There are a surprisingly few cost effective Streamers on the market and with nearly all my listening now via Tidal & Spotify a stand alone bit perfect Streamer or Streamer / DAC would be welcome.

And Roon Ready, please.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I read here or there "should I buy, which model" etc...

Thank you @JohnYang1997, more or less I buy one DAC or another every month.

After that it goes to family or friends. Here is the last project I am working on, with a Topping DAC, of course. The player is an Orange Pi inside the rocket.

IMG_20210901_201002.jpg

Are there any pictures with E50 interior ?

D700

I don't have a solution to this other than posting the zoomed version. The current graph is nearly 5000 pixels wide! If I turn it sideways it will go on for many pages. You can click on it by the way for a wider shot but still a pain to look at. If anyone has a solution that can be implemented in Excel, let me know.
Break the graph into separate pictures, vertically for readability, by color coding. Majority are probably only looking at the green and above anyway. Link to the rest if we want to see them. 1 for Blue, 1 for green, etc

threni

Major Contributor
Are you sure?
I've seen posts from Sabaj that they sent you their new (at the time) dac(s), can't remember models - doesn't really matter.
And yet the new Topping dac gets a review already...

Which of his statements are you asking if he's sure about? That he reviews what he gets sent? That he buys a few? That the number of Topping reviews is a small fraction of the number of reviews he does? Etc. Etc. Maybe he's in the pocket of Big DAC. It's worth considering, I suppose. I'd certainly hate to think that there's something fishy about the order in which he performs and publishes objective measurements and reviews of hardware, for free, in his spare time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure?
I've seen posts from Sabaj that they sent you their new (at the time) dac(s), can't remember models - doesn't really matter.
And yet the new Topping dac gets a review already...
Topping is a very popular product brand and the amount of members here that look forward to reading test reviews of Topping stuff is massive. If @amirm puts two new Topping models ahead in the test line so what. He is simply appeasing his readers and that is the name of the game here.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With regard to what you have planned would they include a streamer? There are a surprisingly few cost effective Streamers on the market…

Indeed. I think Belkin may have released one recently, but other than that the only useful (i.e. AirPlay 2) cost effective standalone streamer known to me is the discontinued Apple AirPort Express. Seems there’s a gap in the market for a smart and nimble company to exploit.

Top Bottom