• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

Toku

Major Contributor
Also, the remote for this thing SUCKS. Horrendous range and half the buttons don’t do anything. I appreciate that this is a budget device, but charge a few bucks extra and do better.

tl;dr
Please don't spread wrong information.
The only button on the remote control that does not work is the "M button".
Functions are assigned to other buttons.

Lattiboy

Please don't spread wrong information.
The only button on the remote control that does not work is the "M button".
Functions are assigned to other buttons.

2 of the 6 function buttons are extraneous, per the manual. So, “1/3 of the buttons don’t do anything” I guess. Also, the range and angle are trash compared to remotes I have from literally 30 years ago.

59ADAD0C-73D4-49ED-ACD1-46947BC3CAC7.jpeg

This irks me because I had planned to use this as a proper preamp, but found the experience so frustrating I switched it to DAC mode. This turned out okay in my case, but it was one of the most important features to me and can’t believe people think this is acceptable performance in the year of our lord 2022. I have an integrated amp from 1993 that has a better remote with better range.

Toku

Major Contributor
2 of the 6 function buttons are extraneous, per the manual. So, “1/3 of the buttons don’t do anything” I guess. Also, the range and angle are trash compared to remotes I have from literally 30 years ago.

View attachment 225891

This irks me because I had planned to use this as a proper preamp, but found the experience so frustrating I switched it to DAC mode. This turned out okay in my case, but it was one of the most important features to me and can’t believe people think this is acceptable performance in the year of our lord 2022. I have an integrated amp from 1993 that has a better remote with better range.
I use multiple Topping DAC products. On the E50 the 4-4 doesn't have the HP amp so it certainly doesn't work as you point out.
Topping and SMSL remote controls are commonly used for all products. Therefore, depending on the model, some buttons will not work. However, it is possible to reduce the cost by standardizing the remote control. This is the mindset of Chinese manufacturers today.
The buttons that don't work on the E50 are 2/13. To say that half the buttons don't work is an overstatement.

yanm

Forum Donor

View attachment 225891

I am using the E50 in preamp mode but instead of the original remote, I’m using a Logitech Harmony hub solution: I‘ve not had any particular issue with that combination (pity that Logitech discontinued that product line).

I fully agree that the E50 remote is not great and that the range is poor (actually, I believe it may not be the range but rather a very limited angular aperture: if the remote IR is not well aligned to the DAC IR, it does not work -for me- even only 1m away).

Anyway, you may want to try one of those universal remote and see if they work better than the original one...

Veri

Master Contributor
EDIT: Well, putting the E50 in DAC mode changed things pretty dramatically. I’m not sure how the “correct” way to do this with my setup is, but I’m using the Chromecast Audio for volume control and now with the E50 in DAC mode we’re very much where the Onyx was. Need to test some more, and perhaps it’s psychological or whatever, but the CCA seems to have vastly better attenuation and the E50 is putting out some serious signal! Had to drop the Denon about 30% below the Onyx so I don’t blow out my windows and/or ear drums.

tl;dr

View attachment 225884
Realistically your Onyx and this E50 will sound just about identical ;) :)

Lattiboy

Realistically your Onyx and this E50 will sound just about identical ;) :)

That’s what I thought too…. I’m wondering if this is a MacBook thing. I could’ve sworn there was something about Macs attenuating the output of audio devices for safety reasons, but I’m struggling to find it.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Is E50 launched because of AK shortage as they used for E30 ?
Or is E50 a totally independent product and Topping just wanted to have this ESS option in their range ?

HappyMetalGuy

Topping over SMSL if all else is the same
Is there an objective reason for your choice or you just like Topping products more. I've managed to have for testing Topping DX5 and E50 and SMSL D300 and M500 MKII. I end up keeping SMSL M500 because it's slightly cheaper, sound was similar to DX5, it's more user friendly, better menus, sound colors, every setting available trough front button and remote control and no update firmware message even when not connected with USB (sooner or later a loop might happen). For me DX5 is better built and looks better and modern.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Just picked one up open box (but new) and love it so far. Yes, the angle of the remote sensor isn't the greatest, but not any worse than other products using that type of remote. So far no issues, and even RoPieee (latest) recognized it and supports native DSD. Funny enough, the sticker on the side of the box says E50 AK4493.. wonder if they printed those before realizing they had to redesign for ESS.

mukka

Using a Raspberry Pi 3+ with the latest (8.1.2) Moode Audio as a streamer (usb connection to the E50).
The RPi stays on all the time but the DAC is switched off every now and then. When I start the dac, the "USB" sign starts blinking and the '/proc/asound/E50' dir is empty.
If I start playing music via the built in player(mpc/mpd) OR the UPNP (mconnect) the USB sign stays on (the /proc/asound/E50 is populated) and the music actually starts playing.

After this point if I try to stream AirPlay or Spotify to the device it works perfectly fine.

If I try to use AirPlay or Spotify right after the DAC is started the USB sign keeps blinking, the /proc/asound/E50 is empty and while the Airplay on my iPhone shows that it's connected and playing on iPhone nothing happens. Long story short: using these services are unable to wake up the DAC.

There is a hook in the shairport config that calls /var/local/www/commandw/spspre.sh before the airplay streaming starts, but adding a random file to the playlist (to be sure that there is something) and playing it for 1 second to wake the device up Is a little hacky solution.

Do you have any other idea how to 'tell' the E50 to wake up and connect?

These things work perfectly when using rAudio, the problem is that the UPNP server is buggy there so I have to rule it out as a streamer sw.

Toku

Major Contributor
Wondering, what's the changes on the new firmware, 1.07. Anybody knows?
The change in my two E50s is that when switching to a PCM song while playing MQA, there were rare cases where the MQA display did not disappear, but after updating to V1.07, it seems to have been resolved I think

marses

The change in my two E50s is that when switching to a PCM song while playing MQA, there were rare cases where the MQA display did not disappear, but after updating to V1.07, it seems to have been resolved I think
They don't have like change log history by topping?

Toku

Major Contributor
They don't have like change log history by topping?
There is no mention of any changes.

is the usual cliche
What's updated:
Fixed known issues.

Just one word!
This is the same for any brand, not just Topping.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I received mine today: fit ‘n finish is perfect. It looks and feels like something that could be sold as a bargain for x5 the price. If branded Chord would sell for x10…I will report my impression about UI and Sound after I listen to it. The listed power requirement is < 15 W, so I guess I should get a > 3 amps PS.

Last edited:

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I chose to use Mouser and bought an Adafruit 1466, 5V 4A DC PSU for $ 14.95. Some trepidation as I measure the supplied Topping plug and it seems to be the 5.5 mm OD, 2.1 mm ID...I trust Amir judgment that no PS upgrade has ever made any difference whatsoever, and this Adafruit 1466 seems to be reasonably well made and comes with UL, CE and double insulation icon printed on it. I will update the other non believers in expensive 5V PSU about fitment to the Topping E50

Top Bottom